Re: News and Games around the NHL

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm There a difference between "making a mistake" and being a bigot. And for Sportsnet to continue to give a bigot a platform would be a mistake on their end.
Being a bigot? Show me the video where he said...hey dirty immigrants put on this flower or we should kill you. Even if he did need to be fired there is a disturbing amount of joy surrounding it and it seems to be more about retribution than morality.
I'm not going to attempt to educate you capn' on what a bigot is. You have the power of the Internet at your fingertips. If you don't find his words (not just these, he's said plenty of other things in the past too) offensive or those that a bigot would say, then I cannot help you. I've honestly never found him that funny or entertaining and IMO it is time to have a different voice on HNIC anyway that reflects and appreciates the multi-cultural world and sport we live in and love.

PS: I'm not "happy" he is fired because that means someone who had a platform to do good for the sport we love and for his own country has betrayed that trust. I am glad that the powers that be, including the Royal Canadian Legion, you know the charity that benefits from the sale of the poppy's, either disavowed his words, or forced him out and took away that platform so it can no longer be abused by him.

Lastly, when patriotism and remembrance is forced, it loses it's meaning. instead of spouting off at folks who don't wear poppies, work to educate them on how the funds go to help veterans. Some folks may still not want to wear them. Last time I checked, Canada was a free country, similar to the USA in liberty and rights to express oneself.(and yes, with that expression can come consequences).
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I think a few things need to be clarified here.

1. He didn’t get fired solely for this weekend’s comments. He’s been saying offensive shit for years that should have got him fired a long time ago.

2. He didn’t simply ask for people to wear poppies. He told “you people” who come to our country and don’t wear a poppy that they didn’t give a shit about veterans. He singled out immigrants and simply because he doesn’t like them. I was at a Remembrance Day ceremony today and tonnes of people didn’t have poppies on. People lose them, forget to put them on, or simply choose not to wear them. I always try to wear one this time of year but don’t judge anyone on whether they happen to have one on at the time or not.

3. This isn’t a reaction just because of social media outcry. I’ve talked to dozens of people today about this and everyone agrees he should have been fired. The guy hasn’t been relevant or been able to provide useful hockey commentary in 20 years.

Good riddance, IMO, it’s just 15-20 years too late.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 pmD.C. should just grab himself a couple cases of beer and head for the old ice-fishing hut and enjoy what's left of his life like any other grouchy old bastard would do...ain't that right JMC?
I don't drink beer, and I don't ice fish. But THIS grouchy old bastard says it's high time for THAT grouchy old bastard to burn his jackets & start himself a hockey jersey collection. THEN we can talk retirement on flat ice.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm There a difference between "making a mistake" and being a bigot. And for Sportsnet to continue to give a bigot a platform would be a mistake on their end.
Being a bigot? Show me the video where he said...hey dirty immigrants put on this flower or we should kill you. Even if he did need to be fired there is a disturbing amount of joy surrounding it and it seems to be more about retribution than morality.
You find the response disturbing, others find his comments disturbing. Moral of the story, we're all disturbed.
If you get up...we all get up...it will be Anarchy!!!

39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pmIf you get up...we all get up...it will be Anarchy!!!
Screws fall out all the time, the world’s an imperfect place.
Endangering children, and creating a fire hazard
So you just stick to the things you know. Shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW & your poor, rich drunk mother in the Caribbean!

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:23 pm
39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm
Screws fall out all the time, the world’s an imperfect place.
Endangering children, and creating a fire hazard
So you just stick to the things you know. Shopping, nail polish, your father's BMW & your poor, rich drunk mother in the Caribbean!
Don't mess with the bull young man, you'll get the horns.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: Don Cherry

I won't mention my thoughts on what he actually said. It's pointless.
I just don't really understand why he said it. If you are in the media or have any kind of celebrity status, why even go there? This is a weird thought but it almost feels like he knew that he would get fired afterwards, so he went out with a bang.
KA-KAW!

Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:31 am Fired for bigoted remarks. Good riddance.
I respectfully disagree, nothing he said was bigoted, if they come to a country because it's a better place then pay respect to the men and women who made it a place you wanted to relocate to.

Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) has a really good article on this if you have an Athletic subscription. Here's an excerpt if you don't. Not saying anything on the topic other than posting the article as I said my piece in the news thread.

"This weekend, it became impossible. Cherry’s comments about “you people that come here” were far from his most over-the-top moment. They may not even have been his worst. But they were so dumb, and so wrong, and so dangerous in a world where more and more people are telling immigrants and people of colour that they don’t belong, that you hoped you’d heard it wrong. You hoped he’d catch himself in the moment, or that Ron MacLean would jump in to help.

On Sunday, you waited for the apology that never came. You weren’t surprised. You knew it wouldn’t.

As I wrote Monday morning, what Cherry said wasn’t just offensive or anti-PC. It was worse than that. It was the one thing Don Cherry was never supposed to be: un-Canadian. I wasn’t born in this country, but I’ve been here for almost my entire life, and I was always taught that it doesn’t matter where you’re from or when you get here. It’s not about how you look or talk or pray or whether you can skate. If you’re Canadian, you’re Canadian. That’s the ideal. It’s one we certainly don’t always live up to, but it’s the goal. Cherry’s words pulled in the opposite direction.

That’s why this felt different than all the times he had questionable opinions about fighting or cheap shots or how the game is meant to be played. It even felt different than the xenophobia aimed at the Russians or Swedes or whoever else had just beat Team Canada. It probably shouldn’t have felt different from the times he took aim at women or French-Canadians or people with different politics, but it did."

https://theathletic.com/1369329/2019/11 ... -to-watch/

It's a real simple thing. Cherry took the platform provided to him not to honor the vets but to spread his divisive, xenophobic outlook. If he had simply used his time to do what he says everyone should be doing and honor vets, he'd still have a job. But instead he turned a non-divisive issue into a divisive one. End of story.

MattyIce wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:14 am I won't mention my thoughts on what he actually said. It's pointless.
I just don't really understand why he said it. If you are in the media or have any kind of celebrity status, why even go there? This is a weird thought but it almost feels like he knew that he would get fired afterwards, so he went out with a bang.
You're probably right. He probably saw the writing on the wall with the constant rumors so he gave them a big FU and went out his way. And really, was there any other way he'd want go out?

BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:31 am Fired for bigoted remarks. Good riddance.
I respectfully disagree, nothing he said was bigoted, if they come to a country because it's a better place then pay respect to the men and women who made it a place you wanted to relocate to.
That IS what is bigoted about it. He singled out, without knowing the facts, immigrants as the reason no one buys and wears poppies anymore. As Beatoni (and others on different platforms) mentioned in the other thread this was discussed, not everyone, including those born in Canada, wear a poppy at all times during the time-frame set aside for remembrance . Doesn't mean they don't respect veterans, maybe their poppy got lost, maybe it fell off, maybe they didn't buy one. Who knows. There are ton's of ways to support veterans and respect their service. Buying a poppy that supports the Legion is just one of them.

What is most sad is that Don Cherry took a topic that he is very passionate about, and instead of using his platform to educate and inspire, he used it to support his bigoted and nationalistic point of view that 'they....those people aka immigrants' are the reason why no one wears poppies. If you do not find that to be a bigoted statement, then I'm not sure what else to say.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

As a veteran, I very much appreciate those who advocate respecting the service of those who served their country. That said, from my point of view, we should keep in mind that our service is in great part about freedom of choice.
It's a great thing for immigrants in Canada to buy and wear poppies to honor the service of the veterans, but it should not be a litmus test of their right to live there.
As an American vet, I will always stand for the flag. While I regret that some choose not to, that is their choice.
I hate that some people choose to burn the flag, but again, our service as vets, gives them that right.
Keep this in mind. A lot of people talk about fighting for the flag in combat. When you get down to brass tacks, in combat, nobody is thinking about the flag. You fight for the survival of the guy next to you. Patriotism is a wonderful thing, but like anything else, should not be used to take away the rights of people who don't share your particular beliefs.
Jmo, of course.

BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am
I respect your respect. It is something that is sorely missing in this world. Just because you happen to disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't exchange opinions. Let's bring it home with :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Thank you!!

barnburner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 am As a veteran, I very much appreciate those who advocate respecting the service of those who served their country. That said, from my point of view, we should keep in mind that our service is in great part about freedom of choice.
It's a great thing for immigrants in Canada to buy and wear poppies to honor the service of the veterans, but it should not be a litmus test of their right to live there.
As an American vet, I will always stand for the flag. While I regret that some choose not to, that is their choice.
I hate that some people choose to burn the flag, but again, our service as vets, gives them that right.
Keep this in mind. A lot of people talk about fighting for the flag in combat. When you get down to brass tacks, in combat, nobody is thinking about the flag. You fight for the survival of the guy next to you. Patriotism is a wonderful thing, but like anything else, should not be used to take away the rights of people who don't share your particular beliefs.
Jmo, of course.

Thank you for your service and your perspective BB.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I think part of the disconnect between the pro/anti Cherry groups is that both parties are making the Cherry's comments either entirely good or entirely bad. The truth is he said a good thing "support the veterans who helped make Canada what it is by wearing a poppy", and a bad thing "you people who have come from elsewhere (and also make Canada what it is) are jerks if you don't wear a poppy". Respecting service members is incredibly important, but so to is respecting people from different backgrounds. I'm not going to tell anybody what to think, but it's important generally speaking to really understand what exactly it is that someone you disagree with is actually disagreeing with you about.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

barnburner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 am As a veteran, I very much appreciate those who advocate respecting the service of those who served their country. That said, from my point of view, we should keep in mind that our service is in great part about freedom of choice.
Jmo, of course.
I enjoy arguing with you a lot BB, but no rebuttal required here. This is incredibly well stated.

After listening to what he said -multiple times- (and i fully admit i have no idea why he was obsessed with 'poppies'?) I have no idea what the hell happened...something about toronto and poppies and he got fired and....yeah...thats about all i care.

EDIT: I read he said something about immigrants, but I listened to it 4 times and I never heard him say that - however - I have trained myself to tune him out when I hear him so I fully admit I could have missed it every time.
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou