Re: Troy Brouwer is back

39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am This is then end result when you consistently draft midgets in the first round and you want to play a big game.
Are you talking about the Blues? The last three players the Blues took in the first round are Bokk (6-1), Kostin (6-3) and Thomas (6-0). Those guys are hardly midgets. Prior to that is Tage Thompson (6-5) and Kyrou (6-0). The last sub-6 foot guy we drafted in the first round was Fabbri in 2014.

The injured guys (Tarasenko and Steen) are hardly midgets too...and the Blues only drafted one of them.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am This is then end result when you consistently draft midgets in the first round and you want to play a big game.
What midgets are you referring to?
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:02 pm
I would assume he means guys like Bokk, Kyrou, Thomas, Fabbri, Barbashev, and Rattie, who are all listed smaller than the league average. Size doesn't equal success(Tage Thompson) but his statement isn't entirely inaccurate.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am
Robb_K wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am
I would like to hope he could help. He does have a good shot, and he plays a physical game. But you've got to be able to catch your opponent to hit him. How old is Brouwer now? He's probably slow as mud. How would he be able to keep up with his linemates and opponents while trying to play defence and forecheck in Berube's 200 foot system? I think he'd be a weak link, and drag down his line.
The speed talk is so over blown. For goodness sakes Rob we just won the Cup without being a speed and finesse team. The Blues are about staying tight, taking up space in the neutral zone and doing the chip and charge where it's about getting pucks in deep and laying hits on the opposition. How did Maroon fair and he's slower than Brouwer. Like Sanford is really pushing the pace up and down the ice. Troy Brouwer will be a huge addition to this team and at a cheap price at that.
It's really not though. Look at the slow ass LA Kings. The Blues won because of their combination of size and speed.
Yeah, but they only looked fast when they stayed in units of 5 and covered the neutral zone. Every time they veered from that they got exposed and looked bad. Berube just said the other day that its all about playing as a team and playing for each other. I think Brouwer will fit in just fine.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:18 pm
39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 amThis is then end result when you consistently draft midgets in the first round and you want to play a big game.
I would assume he means guys like Bokk, Kyrou, Thomas, Fabbri, Barbashev, and Rattie, who are all listed smaller than the league average. Size doesn't equal success (Tage Thompson) but his statement isn't entirely inaccurate.
I thought 'cane was talking about @CaptSMRT's entourage ...

entourage.jpg entourage.jpg Viewed 9956 times 20.71 KiB

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 am
I would like to hope he could help. He does have a good shot, and he plays a physical game. But you've got to be able to catch your opponent to hit him. How old is Brouwer now? He's probably slow as mud. How would he be able to keep up with his linemates and opponents while trying to play defence and forecheck in Berube's 200 foot system? I think he'd be a weak link, and drag down his line.
The speed talk is so over blown. For goodness sakes Rob we just won the Cup without being a speed and finesse team. The Blues are about staying tight, taking up space in the neutral zone and doing the chip and charge where it's about getting pucks in deep and laying hits on the opposition. How did Maroon fair and he's slower than Brouwer. Like Sanford is really pushing the pace up and down the ice. Troy Brouwer will be a huge addition to this team and at a cheap price at that.
It's really not though. Look at the slow ass LA Kings. The Blues won because of their combination of size and speed.
You have to remember, the Blues have the best defense in the league. It's big, it's mobile, and it produces offense. Kings don't have the luxury to build off of that like the Blues do. Give the Blues an average D and we'd suck.

yeah, the Blues are not a 'slow team'...or a 'speed/finance team'. They play hard AND fast...now much of that speed happens during the transition game, not just individual speed. The right defence, like the Blues, can slow down even the fastest teams that don't know how to persevere through the hits, like the Oilers. McDavid looked fast as hell in the first period. By the 3rd, he almost looked human ;)

I don't think TB will hurt us, because more than likely he plays less than 10 games with the team, unless he does have enough wheels to keep up with our transition game.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BillP. wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 am Awesome news!!!! I've been in Brouwer's corner to come back for a while now. I thought Doug might give him a chance. It's part of his profile, tends to be partial to players he's had successful dealings with in the past. I'm very happy with this move. Berube will love Brouwer. The guy is a leader and he kicks ass. He'll be awesome on this team. The guy had 177 hits last year and 12 goals as a 4th line role player for Florida last year. I saw a few games with Troy and he can still bury the puck. Still has a great wrist shot, knows how to score. So fuck'n huge. I'm pumped as heck with this move in bringing him back. Way to go Doug!!!!!!!!
If he's still got it, Brouwer could be a good fit on this team

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am In DA and Berube I trust....but damn, I sure would have loved to see Kostin come up. But Army has made the reference they want both he and Kyrou to get more top 6 minutes in SA and really SHOW they deserve to come up this season based on their performance now.

I do worry as Robb mentioned about the wheels left for TB or even JM. We'll see how they do at practice over the next few days. If nothing else, we have Bobby B if someone else goes down, as we know Berube ain't scared to run 11/7.
I'm with Berube in the sense that I'm always in favor of youngsters proving they deserve a shot rather than getting it on potential

BillP. wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 am Awesome news!!!! I've been in Brouwer's corner to come back for a while now. I thought Doug might give him a chance. It's part of his profile, tends to be partial to players he's had successful dealings with in the past. I'm very happy with this move. Berube will love Brouwer. The guy is a leader and he kicks ass. He'll be awesome on this team. The guy had 177 hits last year and 12 goals as a 4th line role player for Florida last year. I saw a few games with Troy and he can still bury the puck. Still has a great wrist shot, knows how to score. So fuck'n huge. I'm pumped as heck with this move in bringing him back. Way to go Doug!!!!!!!!
I disagree. One of The Blues' biggest problems on defence, and getting and keeping possession in all zones, is losing races to the puck. Brouwer can't be the same player he was while with The Blues several years later. He's got to be in his late 30s, and somewhat slower. It's not just a matter of trailing his linemates when they breakout towards The Neutral and Offensive Zones, or getting back into The Defensive Zone when the opponents are on the rush, but, it's getting to the puck when it's free, and getting near enough to the opponent player with the puck, or the opponent who is now free to accept the pass, or to get in position to stop a driving player. I know that Troy has good hockey sense, knows when to shoot, has a good shot, and is a good positional player. I just don't know if he has enough left to be a net positive addition to this team. I hope he does. But it makes me wonder why no ther team signed him so far this season.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 pm In hindsight, had Army traded Fabbri over the summer, we could have used the $900k he got to sign Maroon, and we wouldn't be signing guys in need of veteran presence.
Yeah, but it was worth seeing if Fabbri was going to grab firm hold of a spot in training camp.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Robb_K wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm
I disagree. One of The Blues' biggest problems on defence, and getting and keeping possession in all zones, is losing races to the puck. Brouwer can't be the same player he was while with The Blues several years later. He's got to be in his late 30s, and somewhat slower. It's not just a matter of trailing his linemates when they breakout towards The Neutral and Offensive Zones, or getting back into The Defensive Zone when the opponents are on the rush, but, it's getting to the puck when it's free, and getting near enough to the opponent player with the puck, or the opponent who is now free to accept the pass, or to get in position to stop a driving player. I know that Troy has good hockey sense, knows when to shoot, has a good shot, and is a good positional player. I just don't know if he has enough left to be a net positive addition to this team. I hope he does. But it makes me wonder why no ther team signed him so far this season.
Cause the whole league thinks the game is all about speed. That's why Berube/Binnington and the boys rolled thru the league last year. Like Maroon said after the Dallas series, screw the speed, old time hockey is back.........................I always said the basics never die and they don't. Also, see my post about the Blues defense above. The Blues have the best D in the league. It's big, mobile and produces offense. Our forwards are successful because of our D. It's a team game and that's what Berube's got going with this team.

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am In DA and Berube I trust....but damn, I sure would have loved to see Kostin come up. But Army has made the reference they want both he and Kyrou to get more top 6 minutes in SA and really SHOW they deserve to come up this season based on their performance now.

I do worry as Robb mentioned about the wheels left for TB or even JM. We'll see how they do at practice over the next few days. If nothing else, we have Bobby B if someone else goes down, as we know Berube ain't scared to run 11/7.
Army talked Bobby Bassen out of retirement??? :o

Robb_K wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Army talked Bobby Bassen out of retirement??? :o
LOL, no the current 'Bobby B' on the team, Robert Bortuzo ( I like calling him Bobby B because anytime I can use that name, I am happy, just like in Transformers): "Gentlemen, Bobby Bolivia, just like the country, without the runs....you came to me for your first car...that makes us family. Uncle Bobby B baby, Uncle Bobby B..."

"Do Only Good Everyday"

Scott Perunovich specifically! Just Kidding Tim. I'm talking about Fabbri and Kyrou. A little Thomas. Thomas is making it work.

Fabbri and Kyrou don't have the speed and skill necessary to break into our line up. Berube wants to play the big game. We need big guys.

If you are going to be a little guy in the NHL you gotta have Fleury St. Louis Kane like skill and speed. Or you're going to get hurt.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:23 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:57 am I got 3 words for y'all "net front presence ", it's been lacking since the big rings departure.
Very true. But the Blues have one of the best power plays in hockey without a net front presence.
Something I've noticed is the "net front" guy (Schenn on the first unit) often moves under the goal line to receive passes from the boards or the point. This has had the effect of causing the defenseman covering him to have to move from the front of the net to track Schenn's movement, and has opened up some shooting lanes, which is a big reason IMO Perron and Pietrangelo have had a lot of PP success this season.

If Brouwer really wants to make an impression he should just kick Sanfords ass right off the bat at practice today. That will get him a contract and a spot in the lineup right away.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 am If Brouwer really wants to make an impression he should just kick Sanfords ass right off the bat at practice today. That will get him a contract and a spot in the lineup right away.

And we'll get a couple good weeks of games from Sanford too ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

39hurricane wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:17 pm
Scott Perunovich specifically! Just Kidding Tim. I'm talking about Fabbri and Kyrou. A little Thomas. Thomas is making it work.

Fabbri and Kyrou don't have the speed and skill necessary to break into our line up. Berube wants to play the big game. We need big guys.

If you are going to be a little guy in the NHL you gotta have Fleury St. Louis Kane like skill and speed. Or you're going to get hurt.
Well first off..Kyrou isn’t midget...he doesn’t even look small on the ice. I also don’t know what else to tell you but Kyrou is far and away the fast skater we have in the organization. I’m at a loss with your comments.
Perunovich is definitely small though but he wasn’t a first round pick either.
Bottom line if you are a smaller but skilled player ...you can play on Berubes team as long as you produce. The reason Fabbri is gone is not because he wasn’t a banger, it’s because he wasn’t producing. If he’s playing top 6 and scoring , the Blues don’t trade him at all.

"Suck a dick Johansen"