Re: GDT Blues @ Wild 7pm cst

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 pm Allen must be playing pretty bad. The radio crew is bending over backwards with excuses.
Pang was making Allen sound even worse. He said something like “that’s why the teach young kids playing goalie to keep your stick down”, making it totally sound like Allen doesn’t know the position well as a kid would
FUCKING FINALLY! Panger has for years defended Shakey, (IMO) Panger had a sub-par career and must feel some empathy because of like careers. Panger to make comments that could be constrained as, "Hey kids, don't do that!" I have to say that makes me respect him a bit more.

I didn’t see the game but in watching the highlights Allen looks like he’s mentally not there. Almost like he’s drunk. Looks lazy in the net. And I really thought he’d thrive as a backup but he’s regressing. He won’t have any trade value at this rate.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 am Enough praise really cannot be said for ROR. Guy is just dynamite. I felt he had a bit of a slow start but he’s a point per game guy still right now. Beating a dead horse but Buffalo should be embarrassed they traded him.
I don't think they had much choice. IIRC, he was threatening to retire, because he was just sick of losing.

BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm I didn’t see the game but in watching the highlights Allen looks like he’s mentally not there. Almost like he’s drunk. Looks lazy in the net. And I really thought he’d thrive as a backup but he’s regressing. He won’t have any trade value at this rate.
It seems like there has been one goal on every start that he has had that has looked like he isn't focusing on the game in front of him.

BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm I didn’t see the game but in watching the highlights Allen looks like he’s mentally not there. Almost like he’s drunk. Looks lazy in the net. And I really thought he’d thrive as a backup but he’s regressing. He won’t have any trade value at this rate.
So did I. Backup seems to be the perfect situation for him because he doesn't have the stress of carrying the load. Either he's having a slow start to the season or he just isn't an NHL level goaltender. Time will tell.

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm JB50 gives up bad/soft goals and gets the win, crickets about his play.

Jake gives up bad/soft goals and gets the win, he’s a terrible goalie.

Interesting fan perspectives
Fair point but the track records here are vastly different. Allen has been coughing up awful goals and back breakers for three-four years here. Binnington's campaign last year helped us win our first cup ever. He's bought himself a lot of equity, a hell of a lot.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:55 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm JB50 gives up bad/soft goals and gets the win, crickets about his play.

Fair point but the track records here are vastly different. Allen has been coughing up awful goals and back breakers for three-four years here. Binnington's campaign last year helped us win our first cup ever. He's bought himself a lot of equity, a hell of a lot.
I get it; just wonder how long that equity will last...
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 pm

My guess is until he clearly (or at least arguably) costs us a playoff series like Jake did in 2015 against Minny.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm

My guess is until he clearly (or at least arguably) costs us a playoff series like Jake did in 2015 against Minny.
Might be even longer than that. The only goalie in Blues history to bring us the Stanley Cup. That's huge. Monster huge.

barnburner wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 am

Might be even longer than that. The only goalie in Blues history to bring us the Stanley Cup. That's huge. Monster huge.
Binnington has a .917 save% this year. That's pretty much middle of the pack in terms of starting goalies (14/31 goalies with 8+ games). That's obviously not what he did last year, but that's all he needs to be for this team to be very good. The reason people give Allen a hard time is that's all he ever needed to be. This dead horse has been pummeled to mush, but if Allen had been able to put up league average numbers, we still wouldn't have any idea who Jordan Binnington is, and also probably would have lost in the first round each of the last 2 years rather than missing the playoffs/winning the Cup, respectively. If that had happened, Allen wouldn't get such a hard time, and the status quo "same old Blues" would be in tact. Kind of a fascinating yet depressing hypothetical.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Husso is currently 5-2-1 in San Antonio, decent numbers, but not really setting the world on fire. At this point there is really no move to make IMHO. Should Jake's play not improve is it possible to bring Husso up and send Allen down? I know that would be a huge salary sitting in the AHL but if he starts really costing games is it a possibility? Worst case he gets picked up on waivers, but that seems to be the only way to move him anyway. I'm not necessarily advocating this option, just curious if it is even an option. BTW, I have always been a Jake supporter as I've watched him his entire career, starting in Peoria, so I'm not just bashing him, Just wondering if there are any thoughts on this.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am Anyone who thinks that people on BNF are overly critical of Jake should have caught the Minnesota feed from that game. They did everything but say that he doesn't even belong in the league at this point.
What did they have to say about Dubnyk? The only reason we got two points in that game despite Allen's shakey performance was because Dubnyk was even worse. Then, instead of accepting the blame for his poor play, he's crying to Mike Russo after the game about the goalie interference costing them a goal and the non-call on Blais right before the tying goal. Like he didn't see how many times Suter tied up or knocked down Blues forwards away from the puck but going to the net and never got called once for holding or interference.

"Suck a dick Dubnyk."

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:51 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am Anyone who thinks that people on BNF are overly critical of Jake should have caught the Minnesota feed from that game. They did everything but say that he doesn't even belong in the league at this point.
What did they have to say about Dubnyk? The only reason we got two points in that game despite Allen's shakey performance was because Dubnyk was even worse. Then, instead of accepting the blame for his poor play, he's crying to Mike Russo after the game about the goalie interference costing them a goal and the non-call on Blais right before the tying goal. Like he didn't see how many times Suter tied up or knocked down Blues forwards away from the puck but going to the net and never got called once for holding or interference.

"Suck a dick Dubnyk."
Too deep in his net...not seeing the puck...not squaring up...and spending most of the game flopping around on the ice. They were unusually critical of an opposing goalie... but not so much the rest of the team.

barnburner wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 am

I can't stress how much of an understatement this is. The dude put the team on his shoulders in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and carried them to victory. All goalies give up bad goals. Throw the stats out the window and watch how Binnington carries himself after a bad goal compared to Allen. There is no comparison.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am

Got a bee in your bonnet?

lol; nope; I just enjoy being contrary sometimes and also seeing how fans (myself included) react to different players who play the same positions, or minutes and get criticized differently depending on the popularity and the 'what have you done for me lately' perspective.

No one is beyond reproach obviously, and Allen deserves 90%+ of his criticism. My post was about the difference, and how as noted by Rat and BB, JB50 has built up enough equity in fan love and trust (and most importantly from the team and coaching staff) to be immune to criticism for those occasional bad goals...for now. I find the psychology of fans perspectives very interesting :)

(disclaimer; I'm a paid bot created by TC to ensure that we have fluid conversations and keep the topics moving. Don't hate me, hate the job ;) )
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:04 pm

lol; nope; I just enjoy being contrary sometimes and also seeing how fans (myself included) react to different players who play the same positions, or minutes and get criticized differently depending on the popularity and the 'what have you done for me lately' perspective.

No one is beyond reproach obviously, and Allen deserves 90%+ of his criticism. My post was about the difference, and how as noted by Rat and BB, JB50 has built up enough equity in fan love and trust (and most importantly from the team and coaching staff) to be immune to criticism for those occasional bad goals...for now. I find the psychology of fans perspectives very interesting :)

(disclaimer; I'm a paid bot created by TC to ensure that we have fluid conversations and keep the topics moving. Don't hate me, hate the job ;) )
TC why in the world are you paying bots? What are they going to spend that money on?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 pm

TC why in the world are you paying bots? What are they going to spend that money on?
Well, personally I'm saving up for this car; and two tickets to the upcoming light cycle races
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I do find I give JB50 more rope when it comes to what I perceive as weak goals. As a former goalie and coach I'm hyper critical of goalies and have to work to not over criticize them. But yeah, Shakey depleted that mental bank account and caused mental bankruptcy with his erratic play over the years. lol