FTP: Kings @ Blues 10/24/2019

A win against the Kings and here is the FTP of that game!

The original thread link is here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... 9.2701199/

Page number: 1

Just entertain.

why have Nikolai Prohorkin here and sit him ? go king go

That Blues defense is monstrous. Get the feeling they're going to be able to evade our forecheck a bit.
Always excited for these matchups, they're often almost as much of a ****show as Nashville games, with random bouts of physicality and explosive scoring, followed by a random 1-0 games
Keep going streaking! Playing too well to sit down now!
The key to this game is that Walker Roy and MacD continue not ****ting themselves. They've played very well lately.

Still blows my mind that Schenn is their #1/2 center and they won the cup. What a world.

Giving him a taste of the NHL life (and pay). Rumors (not verified) are that his European Clause may kick in next month. Yes, obviously he wants to play, but giving him a look at what he could have over here vs the KHL. Strictly asset management right now IMO. Not sure if we have an NHL player or not with the guy. His vision and passing were a bit shaky in the AHL, but he does have good size, skating ability, not afraid to throw his weight around on the boards, and skill with the puck laterally on the rush (things I noticed anyway at the AHL level). Worked hard defensively too. Hockey IQ was average at best, but a new country, rink size and surroundings, so I'll give him a benefit of the doubt in the brief time he has had here. Not the end of the world if he bails.

Saying it right now..... 3 game winning streak!
I expect our bottom 6 to dominate, 6-2 Kings!!!

I'm streaking so hard right now

Hold onto your butts.

I predict some scrums tonight.

When's the last time the Kings were at .500 this late into the season

Still not as tough as they used to be...they've lost Backes, Reaves, Stewart, Maroon, Ott, etc.
The Kings players, particullarly Richards talked about how tough it was to play against Reaves, etc during 2012.

That beautiful Kopitar goal snatched their souls ... but they finally won the Cup, now lets kick their asses

hi. my first game of the season. i just dropped by to say hi.

Leipsic, Ladue, Muzzin, Thompson... that was quite the trip down memory lame.

The 2013 series was a war. I have never seen that volume of heavy checks in a playoff series before or since the Kings/Blues in 2013. It wasn't easy for the Kings to beat them 4 games in a row, two years in a row.
Quick was the difference.

hope everyone is staying safe tonight. lots of fires out there

Howdy back at you

Out here on the west valley it's been windy as **** all day, then suddenly the sky turned brown. There's even a fire at the 101/405 junction. Crazy times.

iafallo omg that was like a soccer save when the goalie's beaten but the guy comes from behind and saves it on the line. good job!

I hear you. Humidifier has been running all day.
Clifford is beastly so far.

too bad it's apparently ok to lay on top of him for 30 seconds in front of the net

woo what a stop by walker this kid is crushing it

Page number: 2

Great play by Walker.

Blake needs to sign Walker to a 7 year/3M AAV contract asap.
Guy looks more and more like a top 4 defensemen every game.
Also good job Carter.

Oh Lizotte...

Monitoring the fires on TV, watching the Kings game on my iPad, and posting on here from my phone.
And that was damn good defense by Walker on Tarasenko. He's earned his ice time seems to be proving himself as a legit NHL defenseman.

ok that was nasty

Great job Carter

JEFF CARTER BABY!!!!!!
thats what i love to see!

Beauty

Silky ****ing mitts, god damn Carter!

Tradddeeee value!

Great play by the whole line including the finish.

Binnington whiffed on that poke check. Nice patience and hands by Carter.

Wtf kovy

jesus christ kovalchuk just get it out

Kempe line is really struggling

Kovalchuk... Jesus Christ so terribad in the D zone.

Sloppy period

Weird. I was told if Quick learned to poke check no one would ever score on him again.

Carts - only scores in blowouts!

I hate this new rule because the linesmen seem incapable of calling ti correctly, there was one last game that led to a goal. Now this incorrect call led to a penaly against.

Quicks having quite a period, scared the blues will shoot high soon

Thanks bro

this audio mix ****in sucks
faust blaring in my ear, can barely hear anything on the ice

Np

Sigh.

Page number: 3

oof
doughty blocking quick's slide across

Correct audio levels won't fix the fact that Faust is our play by play guy

Remember when we had the pk atleast going for us?

Kopitar had the read and then backed off. Otherwise he could have had a far blue line breakaway

Pietro is finally working out for the blues. Always thought he was kinda overrated.

He is. Overrated.

Blues really loving that Detroit board bounce play.
They take the first period by decision but guys are battling hard!

Lol yeah. Don't tell the blues fans that!

Fortunately I don't have to tell them ****. At the end of the day, they know they still live in St. Louis.

wow did tarasenko seriously **** his collarbone from that? maybe just pulled a delt or something

Kempe needs to see a priest or something.

I don't think getting sodomized is going to help his goal scoring but maybe.

I am still happy for Taylor.
Iafallo from Walker!

Walker>Voynov.

**** Yeah Walker!

Use the force S.Walker.

i mean, he is swedish..

Finally have our Voynov replacement in #26

Just let him walk right in why don't you.

No goal Yay

Is it just me or are the Kings passing better? Less in the skates?

lmao they're still playing the goal song after repeatedly showing it went post-post

Blues fans booing. It wasn't even close. Stop being dumb, Blues fans.

Was that penalty called on the play? I didn't see a hand up on any of the replays..

Kempe will never score again.

Page number: 4

it was really really late, the action ref called it when he saw the broken stick when they were near the crease
i was wondering when he was gonna call it too

Kempe needs to see a witch doctor

I am ready to start a Go Fund Me campaign to get Kempe a rub and tug

Kempe should've passed that. He ain't no Stoll.

i don't think being sodomized by jobu is gonna help either tbh

You're talking about a city mad at Los Angeles for stealing "œtheir" NFL team.

We have to try all options if TM is going to continue to play him.

23 years old. Way overage for that.

He can't pass nor can he shoot, yet there were some homers who were somehow convinced he has top six talent.

It could work.

I dunno, maybe he has amazing flow down below....

Don't **** with Clifford.

LOL Binnington trying to pick a fight with Clifford?

OK, seriously **** these refs.

Benny needs to suck it up. They better get a penalty

Decapitate the refs.

oh ok 2 players can team up on a player after the whistle and not get a penalty
good to know

That's utter bull****

That is a ridiculous call on Clifford. And nothing on the blues. Amazing.

how the **** is that not a penalty on someone on the blues? clifford's wasnt even really a penalty

I see how the refs want this game to go

Can't stand this **** reffing playing such a big part in these games.

We hold leads like the evil old scary lady held Sloth in The Goonies.

Refs changed momentum

Page number: 5

Our top line just got owned.

Pathetic costs goal and gives momentum for another

must be nice getting games gift wrapped and handed to you

I was having such a nice evening too

Get the Faulk outta here

they boo THAT call?
couldn't get more obvious and the refs even tried not to call it
unreal

Well, Quick was over .900 for half the game at least.

So what was Clifford's penalty? For out muscling the Blues player going for the puck?
Bull****.

Refs are freakin brutal. Three ticky tack calls.

Way too late for a makeup call.

PK has to be better.
So do the refs.
Horrible call to kill the Kings momentum, compounded by their reluctance to call anything on the Blues until it's too late.

That's the type of situation where a Erik Cernak would have been helpful

The only penalty should have been for a nice swan dive.

nuNHL penalty basically.

Carter on crack

Carter should stop passing the puck.

Kopitar is useless stapling himself to the halfwall. Let Lizzote run the pp.

Kopitar and Doughty deferring to one another is so annoying.

Get Kempe off the PP!

ref shouts "19 knock that off", bouwmeester prods brown's leg out from under him, refuses to make the call
they're like those horrible parents that shout "if you don't act better we'll leave right now!" at the store 15 times then hand the kid a toy to shut them up

Faust, Jesus.... kings need a change after the icing? The second unit was out for like 20 seconds.

he's utterly clueless
it's honestly pathetic

I actually hate him, if he has the career Bob had I'll have to listen to him for the rest of my life

Hutton got took down lol. Wtf.

It wasn't a blue so it doesn't matter

Page number: 6

"toffoli keeps the puck through all the stick work*"
stick fouls*

Blake Lizotte going full bore into a check on Parayko tells you everything you need to know about this kid. ****ing love him.
Kings holding tight, need to create a little more of our own luck in the third.

Yeah that was incredible. One guy tugging his jersey, one stick around his waist/arm torque, one stick and arm around his neck. Nothing. Really need to just start hitting the deck I guess, given Clifford's 'penalty'.

Eh. Could be worse.

seen wagner checking pretty heavy out there on occasion too, and not just on the small guys
i like these kids

that was definitely a case of energy deflating after a couple bad calls. im excited to see how the kings come back in the third. last years kings would have let in another three in the third. what will this year's team do against a good roster?

Yeah if you told me we'd be outshooting the Blues and going into the 3rd down 1 without telling me how, i'd be pretty happy.
It's the 'how' that leaves a bad taste.

Eff the Blues I don't care if they won the Cup last year still the worst Cup Winning team maybe of all time. Okay got that off my chest. Refs are garbage too.

I dunno about worst of all time... rather them then SJ. At least they took them out.

I can't think of a worst team. Just venting frustrations. But yeah definitely them over Sharks.

To me, the Blues are tied with the Ducks as the worst teams to have won a cup. The Coyotes and Sharks haven't won, so I don't count them.

Their banner is garbage.

entire sections of the lower bowl are empty
brutal

Wagner dragging two Blues behind him. lol

What BS call is this.

Garbage or not, I could picture a Ducks fan being petty enough to say "Meh, we got our banner in only 14 years of existence. They got theirs in 52 years. Whoopee doo!"

yeah can't let the kings gain any momentum, time for a ticky tack call on the boards

Our PK is so bad.

Kings will have the worst PK in the league soon. They were at 27th before tonight.

Maybe the Kings should try doing that on the PP? But I guess it's better for Kopitar and Doughty to play hot potato at the top of the circles.

Refs have been ****, but this PK needs to improve soon

Clifford ****ing battles in front of the net.
Wish we always had a front net presence like that.

Blues play good Sutter hockey.

Yeah but the sharks haven't actually won.

That's why I am so shocked by everyone continually saying that the league is changing. The Blues under Berube are playing the exact same style that the 2012 Kings did and it won them a cup.

Page number: 7

Oh, Lewis.

People say the NHL is changing because people are stupid. Being big, physical, skilled and fast. What a ****ing concept.

So much stick work from the Blues on that offensive shift and nothing called

You mean there are teams that have a worst PK then us. It can't be worst then this. LOL.

I don't want to see our PP again, but jesus ****ing christ the stickwork that the blues are getting away with impeding clear opportunities.

no slashing there
nope
none at all

Sorry, they're 23rd right now at 75.8%(They're 27th in PP at 11.1%). The worst team right now is the Jets at 63.6%. I don't think the Kings fall that far tonight, but I expect them to drop below the Flyers and maybe the Blackhawks.

****in unreal
then they call iafallo for that baby **** soft stuff in the corner on a dead puck

Kovalchuk needed a harder shot there.

stick into brown's skates on attack
nope no trip here

This supposed #1 power play unit has zero creativity.

lol Not good timing on that Quick pull.

Kovalchuk... no words

It was blocked.

They need to blow the play dead immediately when a goalie's mask comes undone, not when it is convenient for the goalie. That is some ****ing bull**** to eliminate a breakaway.

Isfalolololo

Blues are pretty bad at hitting the empty net.

They couldn't even get through the neutral zone with the puck. Some mindlessly dumb hockey exhibited by the Kings.

St. Louis really channeling the Sutter Kings. Can't score on the EN to save their lives. Only took about 20 tries.

props to wagner for taking that
also to tmac for keeping mac out to keep them honest too

He absolutely blasted Parayko so that was nice

Still maintain that a 3 game winning streak this year will be a minor miracle.

That game actually made me mad, 2nd only to the Van game. Not for lack of effort or because the Blues are bad, but the combination of penalty timing and ****ty special teams are the major reason for the loss.
Otherwise, held in strong against the champs.
The schedule softens up BIG TIME for about a month now, we'll get a good feel for where we are.

Craptastic special teams play.
LA couldn't rebound from that momentum shift in the second.

Iafallo with 2 points on the season and a beyond dismal 4.8 shooting percentage. How long does it take a Kings coach to realize he's not a top 6er?

Page number: 8

Well, for starters Todd needs to man up and get Dopitar off the pp.

Almost. ( ok not really but just want to say it) I almost miss the days when our power play couldn't score, but are PK was awesome. Every time a penalty was called either way, I know I had time to get a sandwich.

Then who else is going to be on the 2nd unit? :wink:

Signs of life from Carter is good too. He looked beastly a lot of the night. Was flying again.

This is one of the first games all season where the team was on their heels(the refs didn't help either). They had some nice push back moments and you aren't going to dominate possession every single game. Let's see how they respond on Saturday.

Every time they grabbed momentum, a Blue hit the deck and a ref bought it.
Still nice to see them not fold up shop, and keep battling even int he empty net scenario

I mean, did anyone really think Hutton was top pair material on a real team? We signed the guy like a week before the season started.

The Minnesota Wild are really bad, but seeing how the Kings enjoy playing the part of slump buster, expect a close one on Saturday.

One thing that stands out, Kempe has no business being on the pp. My god, the difference between pp is staggering! One team stands around making pretty passes killing 90 seconds with no shots, the other just shoots and tries to scores and does 3 times!

one play changed this game around. soon as they got the pp goal and tied it , the game changed and it was over.

You think they make pretty passes? I don't know if they ever even attempt a cross ice pass. The PP for the Kings should stand for Perimeter Passing, because that's all they do for two minutes.

0 shots from Kopitar isnt going to cut it.

Pretty even game 5v5, but the special teams units were terrible tonight, and have been for much of the season so far.

Weak call by a moron of a ref. So much other crap and that's interference? Kings response for the rest of the game was much like the refs call, ****. At least Carter finished this time.

I think they think they're making pretty passes.

Only way for Kempe to break out of his pathetic slump is get traded and then play against us. Cuz you know the Kings are slumpbusters. Just brutal. By the way who's worst us or Chicago my goodness!!!

I was trying to be sarcastic about the pretty passing, that being how well the did it around the outside. I can't think of a good quality shot, especially on the last one. And Brown was not only hooked, but then tripped as the ref watch it all go down. Just pathetic officiating tonight.

That stats misleading. They had killed 16/17 and I believe the last pp goal was 3 or 4 games ago. Faust went and said it, then they scored 3 right after. Go figure.

Faust has a thing for jinxing the Kings.

"Mark that block by Marty for later if the Kings come back.... and St. Louis scores."

He is so goddamn annoying. "Tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck...tick on the puck..."
*left-handed number 13 Kyle Clifford comes flying down the left wing to shoot a shift after right-handed number 17 Ilya Kovalchuk was on the ice* "Kovalchuk with a nice shot from the wing!"

Kopitar and Doughty suck on the PP, but unfortunately they're also tied for the team lead in PP points.

Page number: 9

Kempe = ZERO ****ING FINISH

Kings are now -7 on special teams (5 goals for, 12 goals against). Plus they're -4 in all empty net situations (1 goal for and 5 goals against). At even strength they're actually outscoring opponents.
This team is not terrible, but they have some things to work on. At least those things are fixable.

Yep, pointed that out earlier in the season too--fixed the 5v5 play bigtime, which is the big thing. The other stuff is details--important details to winning games, obviously, but even if the PP/PK are buttpuckering, the other 95% of the game is now awesome.

I know Drew Doughty thinks he's the best defenseman in the world and awesome at playing defense, but I'm starting to think he has an inflated sense of his own play. Seven goals against while penalty killing in 10 games, just 30 minutes of penalty killing time in those 10 games. Lots of video on those goals where Drew is spinning like a top when the goal is scored. Now, I get that Ben Hutton is not the best penalty killer in the world, but maybe Doughty isn't either.
The two together are getting eaten alive on the PK.

I was thinking that last night on the PP goal they scored on basically a rush.
Yeah he was kind of hung out to dry by both Kopitar and Hutton leaving three guys on his side, but Drew compounded the issue and shotgunned himself in the face by just kind of occupying a space in the mid-slot.
He hasn't been solely at fault--they've been systematic breakdowns--but the 'conservation mode' I called him out for a game or two ago has manifested as bad positioning in all situations and egregiously bad on the PK and when he ends up the last line of defense, something that's been a major strength of his throughout his career in reading plays, he just ****s himself and falls over.
He's content to let Hutton go get the puck and get killed but then doesn't react at all when the obviously incoming turnover happens. It's been like this on and off for the last few games. It's like he's awesome for one night, then starts huffing his own farts and believing the press clippings, then lays an egg the next game, gets mad at himself, and repeats the cycle. We really need him to be superhuman all season, not 'merely' a #1 d-man, and definitely not one that's cruising around thinking he's awesome while everyone else works. I've never criticized his effort outside of last season when it was understandable--but now, I'm hoping TMac is taking notes.
The one at ES that went off his skate and to a Blue--it seemed more like he's trying too hard to anticipate plays and get them turned up ice quickly/immediately instead of just keeping the puck out. I can appreciate that to a degree. But it's become a bad habit

Re: FTP: Kings @ Blues 10/24/2019

As a bonus, a thread of the Kings board with the title “The Kings have a Jonathan Quick problem”.

The original thread link is here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... m.2700957/

Page number: 1

That article hasn't aged well in the last 5 days.
Regarding a buyout, we have no cap issues at all. We won't have any next year either. Probably none of the year after that. There is a ton of salary coming off the books and several replacements will be our young players on ELCs. While Quick's play is a concern, his contract is only a detriment to Uncle Phil.

I have a feeling Quick will retire soon, or go on permanent LTIR. He plays like a borderline NHL goalie and is only going to get worse, especially since his style is so athletically demanding. It may be prudent soon (if not right now) to call up Petersen, in which case it makes sense to waive Quick over Campbell. I doubt it will come to that, since Quick won't want to play in the minors, so instead he'll be relegated to LTIR until his contract is up.

I doubt very much that the Kings will waive Quick.

So let's break this down:
One of the most competitive professional athletes ever to don an NHL uniform is going to retire soon and give up $16 million dollars in salary at 33 years old, despite winning back to back games this week as the teams #1 goalie with .942 save percentage because you have a feeling? And you believe they will waive a two time cup champ and place him in the AHL when he still shows signs he can play? There is zero evidence he is injured in any way shape or form for him to go on LTIR. You can't just place a player on LTIR because you feel like it. They will not waive Jonathan Quick, and they will not put the AHL franchise in the hands of Kehler and Villalta this season unless they have too (one of the big three goalies is injured). So essentially you believe that Quick has no value whatsoever any longer after 5 games this season. Why don't we wait until the trade deadline to make a decision and see how the season goes. While we all agree he got off to a horrible start (as did the team defense), it would be horrendous asset management to waive any LA Kings goaltender at this point. Apologies, rant over.

As Quick adjusts to the new systems (same as every other player), his numbers will normalize. Sure, he won't hit those low 2's GAA, but he will be fine. A lot of writers look at last years numbers without really seeing what was going on. As a result, the title could be "The Kings have a xxxxxxxxx problem" where xxxxxxxxx is pretty much any veteran player except Clifford.
Quick had a rough start but he's adjusting to what looks are being allowed. How much the D is pushing forward is a HUGE change, it hasn't happened in over 10 years, since Crawford. It's like getting a sports car when you've driven an old Toyota your entire life. Sure, you can do it, but you are going to come pretty close to hitting people in front of you when your brain and muscle memory slam your foot to the floor when merging in traffic. Once our goalies adjust to what the rest of the team is doing they will be fine.

- Quick was an amazing goalie for years, but let's be real... he's very far away from his prime. As much as he's done for the club, they can't keep him around just for loyalty. They'd have to move on if he's no longer good enough to compete.
- Two games isn't a significant enough sample size to conclude that he's back to form. The bigger picture is more bleak.
- No, he unfortunately has no value. Even if he rebounds and has decent enough stats on the season, the absolute best the Kings can hope for is to unload him for free (even that is a stretch). The reality of the market is that no team will risk a 3 1/2 year commitment given his age, salary, and career trajectory.

5 days negates the fact he was bad last season too?

Of course not but the entire team was bad last year, and like it's already been beaten to death everyone still here is going to get a chance to prove who was and wasn't an outlier last year. Also beaten to death is who gives a **** about Quick's cap hit? The Kings are not going to need the space until after his contract expires.
We're three weeks into the season, maybe we could give it a bit before launching everyone into the sun?

They will need to expose a goalie for the expansion draft, right? No way Seattle takes Quick, but keeping him thru the year at least checks that box.
Longterm deals turn heroes into pariahs. Its such a sour note to end a career on.

Fans need to remember their, "The Kings will never trade Player X. Player X will age like a fine wine.", posts from years ago.

The article is basically saying they have to trade or buy him out, neither of which was true when written. In fact it was plain dumb. After the article is published Quick has two solid games. My comments had nothing to do with last year.
My bad though. I forgot that after this year, Quick's actual salary goes down to $3.5 million, $3 million and $2.5 million. So his contract won't even hurt Uncle Phil much going forward. He just has a high, but largely meaningless cap hit that won't impact anything beyond a few columns on capfriendly.com.

Guess the sample sizes are only convenient when they work in your favor.
No one is talking about the 2018 season when he had a Vezina caliber season and a run arguably better than his conn smythe run.
Everyone talks last year, ignores previous year.
No one talks about he was our best goalie this preseason, instead they want to anoint shiny new toy Campbell.
Everyone talks--and writes hot takes--based on three regular season games.
No one talks or writes hot takes based on two fantastic regular season games.
Only one thing is for sure--if Quick pitches a shutout tonight, this thread and the GDT will be dead silent. If Quick lets in so much as one goal, there will be at least three "Campbell would have saved that" posts and the usual hand-wringing. And so the cycle continues since 2015.

Quick's contract will be done by the time this team is ready to compete again basically if things go right.

Big quick fan! Some buddies played with him when he was at avon and my brother played goalie at a school against him. Quick was the best back then and everyone knew it. I think chris higgins was on his team as well and dominant but its been so long to remember.
Anyways i will admit he hasnt been his best since that vegas series a couple years back. He was a force in that series. Hopefully he can build off the last couple games and get back into his groove. He may also benefit from a trade to a more competitive team, as he plays better when it matters.
Time will tell how he finishes his career but im pulling for him. One of the top american goalies of all time in my view. And one of the last of an era where a goalie could dominate and change a game with his energy.

The problem with quick isn't his cap hit or the years. The problem is that him, and a couple other players, are in spots where a couple young guys can step in. Now if Quick starts to perform to at least normal standards then there's nothing to complain about.

I think for Quick to be successful from here on out he is going to have to tweak his style a bit. I just don't know if he can play more like a positional goalie with athleticism, or if he is stuck in the athletic goalie mode and has stretches of time when his body is feeling right and we see flashes of past greatness.

Quick's stats last year don't get any better when you account for quality of scoring chances. He had the worst data-adjusted save % among starters by a significant margin.

Sure, Quick had a slow start, but so did the rest of the team. We should be a team that gets better as the year goes on, not worse.

Cool story. That doesn't change the fact that he's going to get an opportunity this year to try and prove himself. Dumping him for nothing or buying him out helps nobody right now.

This'll be one of those games someone looks at and goes "lol QUick .882, he's toast" without realizing how much good he did.

Honestly, that save % is a fairly accurate representation. He has no chance to make a save on so many goals due to his aggressiveness combined with his deteriorating agility/lateral movement.

Which goals are these?

All of them except maybe Dunn's. That doesn't mean all those goals are "his fault," just it's impossible for him to stop medium/high danger scoring chances if there's any kind of puck movement. If you compare Quick's 2018-19 season to the other starters, his low danger save % was only slightly below average, but his medium and high danger save %'s were 2nd to last and dead last respectively.

It could be worse. Quick could be sporting an .878 in the first year of a 7 year 10 million per contract, having won nothing for this franchise or any other...