FTP: Stars @ Blues 10/05/2019

First win of the new season and here is the first FTP!

The original thread link is here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... w.2694707/

Page number 1

Thank you based mod

Won't be watching most of this one as I'll be at the PanthersBolts game tonight. Been a struggle to get the game working on my phone, too.

must win

Let's get it boys

Let's take the lead and not have to start chasing right away. Go Stars Go!

That first line is fakked

TYBM

This game thread is RARE and BASED

It's honestly ing stupid that there is no legal way for me to watch every Stars' game anymore now that Dish has ed their customers over. Went ahead and cancelled their bull so now I'm stuck.

Well, NHL.tv has a student discount that's really good. Maybe I'll get that. But isn't it a horrible app

You sound nice

I use it on my PS4. Can't really complain. It's nicer on PC though obv

It's great, I'm a truck driver and have it on my phone all the time. Works great

Rhett GOATner got on so much and no he's starting in game 2 of the season. Let's go big boy!

Is it true nationally broadcasted games are blacked out
Would an international VPN get around that

I have developed a huge amount of animosity toward Dish over the last month

Yes and Yes

WTB 1 Jesse Puljujarvi trading 1 elite julius honka + 6th rd pick PST me

ehat

Buy a Roku stick ($20) for your TV; install the NHL channel; use your looming NHL season pass. Boom. [Not sure about blackout rules.]

I dropped Nhl.tv over blackouts. It's such a stupid thing to have in this day and age.
unofficial streams are more consistent too.

LETSSSS GOOOOOO!!

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Page number 2

Razor forgot Bergeron exists still

Lmao again
So predictable

Good lord...

once again, not a good start

This is going to be a very bad year if Bishop doesn't start playing like he did last year.

Cue the offensive zone penalty from Radulov now

And this was the top line and top d pair.

Top line is getting danced around

Why is the Faksa line getting schooled in Dzone every shift

The top line (particularly Benn) doesn't realize the game has started. Benn looks to be in midseason form in the Dzone.

Our top line needs to backcheck

Remember when Benn & Seguin we're arguably the best duo in the NHL That was fun.
Too bad we didn't have any talent besides them at the time.

Top line already split up

Well Benn is on that line, and he's almost as clueless as Spezza in the dzone

Faksa Gurianov swap.

It's more then just Dish. In Colorado their RSN is off Dish, DirecTV and one other provider. FSNs new owner Sinclair is a big problem too.

What an awful shift from Oleksiak. Wow

remember when benn was a beast powerforward

Not sure if anyone else saw, but Texas gave up a goal 68 seconds into their game tonight as well.
Truly grooming them to be Dallas Stars.

Oleksiak needs to mark his man, shoudn't be that hard of an assignment.

Boys lmao

And a shot off of the ice from the young Russian. Nice to see.

Everyone in the building could hear Sundqvist tapping his stick in front of the net except for Oleksiak.

Yeah, but they got caught on a long shift.
Notice Guri is on top line and got a nice chance.

I'm not going to hit the panic button but holy

How about exiting the zone when you have 5 seconds to do it

Benn tried to Hit Parayko and just bounced off him... Lol he's just weak at everything now

Page number 3

Oleksiak got lost again in the Dzone.

Can Caamano & Gardner please kill it this game so I no longer have to watch Janmark & Dowling do nothing.

Riley Tufte fought Logan Stanley.. WTFFFF

Let's goooo
Beauty by Schwartz

Janmark baby shot Assassin!

yeah baby!!!!
suck it negative Star fans LOL

is a SHG good enough for you

Janmark and Cogliano are unstoppable.

Now we playing!

That was a dominant shift from Benn-Pavelski-Rads.

Trade Janny now while value is highest, guys a PPG player as we speak, in on 100% of the Stars goals so far!

Every time Janmark does something I get excited thinking about how good (for a 3rd liner) he was in the 20162018 season and hope he is back to that.

Gurianov actually made a really good play defensively woah

god Benn sucks

Why arent they giving Lindell the assist

Our 2 leading scorers so far this season are Roope Hintz and Jaden Schwartz

Hate that lazy ass play along the boards by Benn

Lines getting changed too much.. why is Caamano with BennSeguin now

I hate this team

Radulov is really sloppy for the 2nd game in a row.

I believe it's unassisted when you score on your own net

Gurianov was good that period. Now he needs to keep this up and gain more confidence from it

Because a Blue put it in the net. The goal is then awarded unassisted to the last opponent to touch it.

Need to do a better job of guarding the slot and tightening up the puck control around the bluelines. Skating well though, decent first 20 minutes altogether!

Page number 4

Lotta bouncing area passes from the Stars. It sure looks like the Stars aren't seeing many clean passing options through the neutral zone, so they're throwing it up hoping their teammates can win foot races to advance the puck.

Scorey Perry is our only hope now.
Pavelski has been so underwhelming in every game I've seen him in.

Let him get settled.

Well they have Lindell on NHL.com now.
I guess it will be taken off because the Blues guy put it in the net. I forgot.

LOL relax, he's only played every game of his career with the same team
I doubt he scores 30+ this year, but he's still going to be good once he settles in

Razor with a subtle shot at Jack Edwards there. Love it.

I can't get over how good Hintz is

Hintz will lead the league in breakaways this year.

I think he's going to be our best forward this year.

well we already have the league leader in failed breakaways ala Janmark

How was I not relaxed in what I said lmao.
Your response doesn't rebut anything I said because he HAS been underwhelming in every game he's played in. The score Perry thing is a joke. Which should be pretty obvious.

Pavelski with two great chances here in the second, he will score tonight!

WTF was that Radulov

Benn is frustrating to watch

He and Klingberg both for me.

Heiskanen!

Yeah baby!!!! Heiskanen!!!!

Nice ing goal baby!

MIROOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Radulov battling for that puck way after Miro scored too

I like how Radulov missed the puck twice in the crease after Heiskanen scored lol

Snipe.

I love Miro

Heiskanen what a beauty!

Nuke now has more points then Seguin and Benn this year

Page number 5

Rads has to shoot there

Need to shoot it, pass wasn't there

Robertson first pro goal.

we did it

We did it reddit

why did he go

Gardner isn't going back down

I'd keep him or Caamano up over Comeau

Both them look poised, calm and playing the perfect 4th line game. Helps that they can skate and create puck pressure. Not sure we get much offense out of them, but if they can limit scoring against and skate and PK.. I take it over Dowling, maybe Comeau.
But that would require Nill to keep them over his 3 year multi million dollar Comeau.. so good luck.

Not a good call but I'll take it

I'd love for GOATner to stay up. He's huge and perfect for a fourth line role. Big and physical

Lindell!
Don't know if it was intentional but that was a perfect little touch by Dowling

Lindell!!!!!

Esa!!!

That looks offside oof

Might be offside

They get all day to make their mind

Looks offside but man that's close

I hate you Matt Duchene.

I really dislike those close challenges.

offside by a millimetre so no goal...
I really hate this rule.

Play should've been blown dead anyways when Faksa touched the puck so that's fine

Gurianov has gotta get that puck deep or at least touch it over to Janmark there

Page number 6

Ughh

Well that one sucks

omg

uh oh

Love this sport so much wow

We need a non European goal cmon guys lmao

Faksa has not been good tonight

CaamanoCogliano, Comeau, Janmark

Of course

This

Lmao. That'll do it

ughh

Honestly this goal is on Pavelski because of his awful pass for an icing

He also lost the faceoff I think that led to the goal

We better hope we get amazing Bishop back or this will be a long ing season.

Damn.

Yeah but with the rule changes icings are now signficantly worse.

You can't tell Stars fans are still wounded from years of luke warm mediocrity. It only takes one blown lead for all of us to think, “Here we go again.» Lol.

Dowling with an awful shift

I feel like it's been like this since the Anaheim series when Lehtonen cost us, or at least that's when the negativity really started
Edit or maybe the Minnesota Wild game #82 year...

I've seen Khudobin in this game more than Jamie Benn

Benns been the one not catching passes and whiffing on shots and turning over the puck. Same as last year

Gurianov has stolen like 5 pucks tonight. Good pressure.

Nice play by Gardner but no one can finish ugh

Page number 7

Benn just spent 30secs on his kness, because reasons

Oh is that who that was

Team can't ing score

dear stars, please score. k thx

Almost indistinguishable from Cogliano and Comeau
The way to tell them apart.
Skating fast and all of the above- Cogliano
Falling down a lot and the all of the above- Comeau
Slow and all of the above - Benn

Miro and Klingberg are going to need about 35 goals this year.

Can Seguin do something

Damn, extra attacker on, faceoff in Ozone and Benn is not on the ice

Miro's hand-eye coordination is nuts

Don't take Hintz out for Benn. Christ.
Thank God Monty put him back in

Took Klingberg long enough to notice Seguin jesus

So close ugh this team is so frustrating
Also Heiskanen is amazing

Hey Benn showed something after the buzzer! Nice.

wtf

Need to score more goals. Can't win games like this.

Tough to go 0-2.. but we've been right there in both games against some good competition.

Bright side- kids look really good.
Dark side- Guys we're paying a billion dollars aren't going yet

In one fell swoop the officials tonight completely undermined the reasoning behind the offside rule change, by rewarding a fractional hopeful challenge.

Now teams will continue to challenge every potential offside as before. Or perhaps the NHL officials just like The Blues a lot

Why couldn't we have opened this season with Ottawa and Columbus
Oh well, it's a long season. Played two of the best teams down to the wire and could have won both games. Seguin and Benn will need to contribute before January this season. Hintz and Miro are already our two best players. I'd rather play the two young guys tonight over Cogliano and Comeau. Cheaper and better.

Seguin, Benn, Radulov all once again failed to live up to their billing. I'm giving Pavelski a pass for now as he's still settling in.

I'm frustrated we lost, but the Stars look better than they did last season. Lot of promise in this group if they can start finishing on these opportunities cause idk about you guys but it feels like we're generating a lot more chances than we used to last season. Also gotta give time for Pavelski to settle in just like the time it took for Radulov, Sharp, Spezza, etc.
Seguin and Benn need to step up their games though.

Not that Bishop has played up to the standards we know he can. But it would be great if he just called out the forwards post game.
It's tough to win when you can only give up 1 goal a night

Radulov at least was noticeable and did some good things . The other two i basically didn't notice at all.

We are addicted to just losing. Perhaps we should sample the pleasure of actually knuckling down and winning for once.

Page number 8

Benn and Seguin doing absolutely nothing to start the season. Remember when Seguin had Hintz's speed that first year
Heiskanen was unreal tonight. The keepssaves he made the last minute alone. He deserves a better forward corp in front of him at crunch time than the old man crew we throw out there.

Shouldn't say things like that, you'll get lectured about how great they are

At this point, what is Jamie Benn actually for

Razor said Gardiner and Camaano ready for NHL. Probably gonna stick with the vets, but if they could, trading a Comeau or Cogs to save cap space for a deal.
Guri looking better, on O chances and 4-5 steals on D. When you have an old team, playing young guns to give them rest will probably help a lot.

My thoughts after only catching the 3rd period of this one
(1) Heiskanen should be the TOI leader every game. He is the Stars' best defenseman. Klingberg has more flash and offensive potential, but Miro is the better of the two... and I don't think it's that close.
(2) Let the kids play. Please, let the kids play. Let Gurianov start every game and play through every mistake until the end of the season.
(3) I really, really hope this season isn't going to be a repeat of the 2009 season when they missed the playoffs because they spent the summer reading their own press clippings from the prior season instead of getting ready for the new season.
(4) For the 3rd year in a row, I might be hoping the Stars trade Benn. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look good so far.
(5) Give Dobby the next start. Bish needs to clear his head after soft goals in two straight to start the season.

Well next game is tomorow so of course Dobby is going to start that game. Also Benn might be close to untradeable with all his clauses.

Well without Jordie we need a new whipping boy.

I think you're misremember 2009
Morrow missed almost the entire season
Richards about half the season
Niskanen and Grossman were the only 2 blue liners to play the full season
and Turco had trouble stopping a beachball through all 80games he played because they had no backup.

Probably thinking of 16-17 but a lot of that was the garbage goalie nill kept around

Lol. Didn't realize next game was tomorrow. And Benn is definitely tradeable with retention.

Only if he plays ball and accepts it.

Maybe just a bit. But then we missed the playoffs the next 5 or so seasons, right I just can't forget what Monty said in a presser last year that we've all seen for years culture of mediocrity.

Offside challenges need to be removed. If it's not caught in real-time its not enough to make any kind of difference in the play. Its essentially semantics at that point.
Sounds like Miro looked great, as did Gardner and Caamano. The latter two are the types of players you need when you spend as much on a core as us. Seems likely they'll stick around at least through these injuries.

Well, as I've been reminded of by others about 50 times on these boards, it's moot because the stars would never trade him.

Yeah but a lot of that was going through bankruptcy and having a gm with 1 hand tied behind his back in terms of moves because of it. I mean the league started financially managing the team sometime in 2010 until Gagliardi bought them

To this day, I think GMJN1.0 could have been a great GM with the right situation. Dude actually did a pretty decent job considering the circumstances.

There's nothing stars fans love more than finding a good player and ting all over him

I do too.
He made some bad decisions (CrawfordGlennie) and his scouts and his Russian bias needed to be checked,
but they were always in the thick of things considering the circumstance of course how much of the subpar scouting was lack of talent in the personnel and how much was on no funds to bring in additional personnel to cover more areas. we'll never know. IIRC they had one of the (if not the) smallest scouting departments in the league during those years.
But Glennie was a direct result of Newy not wanting a Russian (Kulikov)
It's not like the scouting has gotten any better in the 7yrs of JN1.5

It's not ting on someone, if there are legitimate concerns about ongoing performance levels. Blind support is equally as bad as just ting on someone. Or do I have to show you my wardrobe full of Jamie Benn jerseys to prove I'm a true fan of the man Or the large fracking bills I'm running up to fly great distances to go watch this team this season.
So please keep your snide comments to yourself. I have real concerns about his ongoing performance levels that have some grounding. If he picks it up and starts contributing offensively no-one will be happier than me.
So how about you explain why you think he's doing a good job and set me straight. I'm all ears.

Only watched the first two periods, but I thought Gurianov looked like a complete different player than the first game and last year. It looks like we'll have secondary scoring this year now we just need some primary scoring.

JB has only once been a point a game player. He goes pointless 2 games and all of us who couldn't hold his jock crap all over him.
For all the crap fans gave him last year, he scored 27 goals in the end. Not his best, but not bad.
Yes, he will never win the Ross again. Yes, he is on the wrong side of 30 and best years are behind him. He has never been on the Ayd level, never been a top 10 among best players on the team. But he and sefmgs, and now Pavs have been in the top 10 goal scorers of the past 5 years and some of you have called him crap all that time.
Put down the beer, and go take his place if you think it's so damn easy to play in the NHL.
Yes, fans have the right to at players, but we also have the right to about other unreasonable fans!

No one was calling him crap 5 years ago. He was a top 5 NHLer back then.
He's not what he was, and that simply isn't good enough considering his contract, the C on his jersey, and the load he's expected to carry offensively.
Benn taking criticism is completely just, but you guys aren't wrong either in that he's still pretty good. It's not that he's a bad player, but he's not meeting expectations. Perhaps those expectations simply need to lessen, but I think there's still some hope he can get back to at least some of that level we saw dominate the league.

I have never called Jamie Benn crap and am completely sober. I love the man dearly but this doesn't mean that his contribution can't be questioned, and that the overall good of the Team and organization can't be considered if that contribution is not at the level it should be.

Am i getting his 9.5mil a year to not catch passes, skate like i'm stuck in mud and whiff on shots I'd have to break a leg or two to skate that slow, but i could do it. I guess i could also not try for 90% of the game

I will take the advice of First Row though and step away from the computer for the night. I normally try to be positive and supportive and am suffering from tonight's loss which for some reason i took hard. I should be used to it I guess. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, in no small measure to the appalling offside challenge decision.
I will back fresh tomorrow and praying for a Jamie hat-trick to cheer us all up. We all want the same thing.
Good night all.

I only saw game one and I thought Jamie looked positively engaged. Sounds like he had a worse game tonight.
Now I know it was only preseason but a couple games ago against a full NHL roster of the Minnesota Wild he had 3 points. Preseason doesn't count but that was a good sign that we know he's very capable of being an offensive force. We'll have to hope he heats up a few times and scores in bunches.
Seguin I thought did next to nothing in game 1. He always leaves me wanting more from his play, but I admit I prefer Benn to him so that tends to tilt my bias. They both need to be better and I'm sure they will be.

Page number 9

Not going to panic or get too angry yet.
Should have won today which is disappointing, but played two very tough teams. And have shown we are there with them.
Only worry is the top lines have no chemistry at the moment and seem to be forcing it.
Id change it up a bit and lock in a top line of Hintz-Seguin-Pavelski then make the 2nd line a bit more grinding with Benn-Faksa-Radulov.

I soothe my disappointment at this season's slow start by basking in the schadenfreude created by the despair of fans of various other teams who spent the summer bragging about how great their team would be, how much depth they had, how young players would step up, etc., only to see it crash and burn now that reality has come calling.
Go read GDTs from the Sharks, Devils, or Blue Jackets - helps take the edge off.

It's not just you. It's everywhere and it's been this way since forever. I get the concerns about his performance (and history would say he comes out of this two game old skid) but this is a pattern with the Stars base. If it's not Turco it's Goligoski. If it's not Goligoski it's Benn. It'll probably be Klingberg in the future and then we'll get tired of Miro after that. It's a constant need to place the shortcomings of the team on one or two guys instead of looking at system issues or roster evaluation as a whole. Honestly didn't mean anything towards you specifically, and agree he could be better, but he's still a productive player and not a complete bum out there. We're two games in and losing our minds already. It's ridiculous.

Re: FTP: Stars @ Blues 10/05/2019

This makes me soooo fucking happy to see other team's fans express: "Now teams will continue to challenge every potential offside as before. Or perhaps the NHL officials just like The Blues a lot" :bananaride:

Only STANLEY CUP FUCKING CHAMPIONS get that kind of hate....lol, seriously though, I am loving this as I know you all are too :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:25 am This makes me soooo fucking happy to see other team's fans express: "Now teams will continue to challenge every potential offside as before. Or perhaps the NHL officials just like The Blues a lot" :bananaride:

Only STANLEY CUP FUCKING CHAMPIONS get that kind of hate....lol, seriously though, I am loving this as I know you all are too :)
You know it!

Benn had a down year last year, but the year before he had 79 points. If he has another down year that contract is going to look bad and probably signal he's already declining and that last year wasn't just a blip. His AAV is $9.5M for the next 6 seasons. But, its also totally possible last year was just a blip

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:25 am This makes me soooo fucking happy to see other team's fans express: "Now teams will continue to challenge every potential offside as before. Or perhaps the NHL officials just like The Blues a lot" :bananaride:

We know its true when we see the Blackhawks get preferential calls from the refs.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 am Benn had a down year last year, but the year before he had 79 points. If he has another down year that contract is going to look bad and probably signal he's already declining and that last year wasn't just a blip. His AAV is $9.5M for the next 6 seasons. But, its also totally possible last year was just a blip
He just always looks totally unengaged from the action, like he's just going through the motions. They gave him a full NMC so they can't even hope to offer him up in the Seattle draft unless he wants to go.

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 am Benn had a down year last year, but the year before he had 79 points. If he has another down year that contract is going to look bad and probably signal he's already declining and that last year wasn't just a blip. His AAV is $9.5M for the next 6 seasons. But, its also totally possible last year was just a blip
He just always looks totally unengaged from the action, like he's just going through the motions. They gave him a full NMC so they can't even hope to offer him up in the Seattle draft unless he wants to go.
Yeah if I were a Stars fan I'd be very worried he'll never top 65 points again. Between losing a step and Montgomery's more defensive system, I don't think the point production is going to be where it was before last year. He's still an effective player, but that contract value might look pretty rough in the near future.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!