Re: The Official Petro Contract Speculation Thread

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:47 am As for Petro and July 1st....Toronto might have major competition in the New York Islanders for Petro’s services. If they miss the playoffs, they might whip out $11 mil per year like it’s nothing
I'm really starting to think that Petro is as good as gone. On the open market, he is going to get an offer that the Blues wont match.
I like Petro a lot, but I wouldn't blame the Blues at all if they don't want to spend $80 million on a 30 year old defenseman.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:04 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:47 am As for Petro and July 1st....Toronto might have major competition in the New York Islanders for Petro’s services. If they miss the playoffs, they might whip out $11 mil per year like it’s nothing
I'm really starting to think that Petro is as good as gone. On the open market, he is going to get an offer that the Blues wont match.
I like Petro a lot, but I wouldn't blame the Blues at all if they don't want to spend $80 million on a 30 year old defenseman.
Yeah, we already talked about this yesterday at work Matt. Probably in the Blues best interest, it would be best to let him walk. And I think we both agree that Army is prepared to do that if it comes to that. Really boils down to how much Petro wants to stay here, if the most money and term isn't his objective then fine. If he gets greedy, he's gone.

This is assuming it's all about the benjamins. Which it very well may be, but with St Louis he is the captain and has a chance to build an absolute legacy here. His wife is also from St Louis. So does he start again on a new team, new locker room, no coaches, and give up what he has with the Blues and what he can with the Blues for more money? tbd
Just a Russian propaganda account

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 am I just not one to look at a guy whose 30 and say hes gonna be worth this much money in 8 yrs. Jesus, that almost a decade. And how many star yunguns is Army willing to let slip away cuz the piggy banks empty 5 or 6 yrs down the road.
Contracts are constantly going up. In 7-8 years, a 9 million deal won’t be considered top of the market.
So you are saying Faulk is a bargain then?
:?: Faulk is already not playing at a high level. But I dont want to get off-topic.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:52 am
This is assuming it's all about the benjamins. Which it very well may be, but with St Louis he is the captain and has a chance to build an absolute legacy here. His wife is also from St Louis. So does he start again on a new team, new locker room, no coaches, and give up what he has with the Blues and what he can with the Blues for more money? tbd
Very true. If he is willing to take a bit of a discount, they can make it work. Maybe those triplets will end up helping the Blues :lol: It does not sound fun to move three babies across the county.
KA-KAW!

I think it's about 60-65% that he stays. Plenty of reasons to hit the open market, but I think Army can find room if he wants to keep him, and he probably does. Plus there's no reason to believe Petro wants to squeeze every last penny out of the negotiation. Finally, a point that has been made many times about UFAs on the Puck Soup podcast, guys tend to like to stay where all of their stuff is, and all of Petro's stuff is in St. Louis.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:14 am I think it's about 60-65% that he stays. Plenty of reasons to hit the open market, but I think Army can find room if he wants to keep him, and he probably does. Plus there's no reason to believe Petro wants to squeeze every last penny out of the negotiation. Finally, a point that has been made many times about UFAs on the Puck Soup podcast, guys tend to like to stay where all of their stuff is, and all of Petro's stuff is in St. Louis.
"And everybody needs a place for their stuff." George Carlin.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm JR was asked about this in an Athletic Q and A not too long ago. He thought it'd be ROR, but also said that Tarasenko has a pretty good shot because he's been part of the "leadership group" for the longest time. He also wondered if ROR being selected over Tarasenko would piss off Tarasenko and cause issues.
I read that and thought it was interesting as well. Really bad year for Tarasenko to miss the bulk of the season. I absolutely get it from Tarasenko's perspective. He's been around forever, has been a face of the franchise since his rookie year, and has grown quite a bit on and off the ice in that time. It's a tough call. Not being in the room, I still give it to ROR. Having said that, ROR and Schenn seem like the type of guys that wouldn't care about which letter and would happily give the C to Tarasenko if it didn't rock the boat.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm JR was asked about this in an Athletic Q and A not too long ago. He thought it'd be ROR, but also said that Tarasenko has a pretty good shot because he's been part of the "leadership group" for the longest time. He also wondered if ROR being selected over Tarasenko would piss off Tarasenko and cause issues.
If I were Tarasenko it'd piss me off too. No one likes being passed over for the new office hot shot.

I like most of JR's writing, but keep in mind that it is his job to sell stories, and one consistent story he likes to sell is how 'easy Tarasenko get's his feathers ruffled' and portrays him as selfish. Maybe JR is anti-Russian, not sure ;).

I am sure if Petro left and ROR or Schenn or someone else besides Tarasenko was named Captain, that Vlad would continue playing for the team and being a great lockerroom leader.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 pm I like most of JR's writing, but keep in mind that it is his job to sell stories, and one consistent story he likes to sell is how 'easy Tarasenko get's his feathers ruffled' and portrays him as selfish. Maybe JR is anti-Russian, not sure ;).

I am sure if Petro left and ROR or Schenn or someone else besides Tarasenko was named Captain, that Vlad would continue playing for the team and being a great lockerroom leader.
I think I JR just reports what he hears. If one of his sources thinks Tarasenko might be upset, he'll report it. If anything he gives too little of his own opinion...in my opinion.

I wonder if Petro will think about signing a 1 year bridge deal and then looking for that big contract after next season. It seems like the cap is going to go down now with the lost revenue. It may make it even harder to find a team willing to give him a mega deal.
If he got any kind of solid offer from the Blues previously and turned it down, he has to be kicking himself right now.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 am I wonder if Petro will think about signing a 1 year bridge deal and then looking for that big contract after next season. It seems like the cap is going to go down now with the lost revenue. It may make it even harder to find a team willing to give him a mega deal.
If he got any kind of solid offer from the Blues previously and turned it down, he has to be kicking himself right now.
He and the rest of the UFAs have some all time bad luck. He'll still get paid big money I think, but he's not getting the 10 or 10.5 I thought he might on a regular July 1.

MattyIce wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 am I wonder if Petro will think about signing a 1 year bridge deal and then looking for that big contract after next season. It seems like the cap is going to go down now with the lost revenue. It may make it even harder to find a team willing to give him a mega deal.
If I’m him, I go for the “bird in the hand” and sign a long-term deal. The dollars probably won’t be what they were going to be, but what if he signs a one-year deal and then this crap happens again next year? Screw it.....even if he signs an 8-yr deal at “only” $7 mil/season, that’s still a shitload of money. It’s all Monopoly money after you get above a certain level.

Honestly, the impact of the shutdown on the salary cap might actually make it more likely that he stays with the Blues. I had pretty much assumed that he was gone, but now I’m not so sure.

Matangama wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:02 am
If I’m him, I go for the “bird in the hand” and sign a long-term deal. The dollars probably won’t be what they were going to be, but what if he signs a one-year deal and then this crap happens again next year? Screw it.....even if he signs an 8-yr deal at “only” $7 mil/season, that’s still a shitload of money. It’s all Monopoly money after you get above a certain level.

Honestly, the impact of the shutdown on the salary cap might actually make it more likely that he stays with the Blues. I had pretty much assumed that he was gone, but now I’m not so sure.
I think we are going to be sorely disappointed if we believe Petro will be had for 7 million a season. Defensemen like him don't hit the open market often.