Re: News and Games around the NHL

Matangama wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm Dave, I’m not a prospect guy like Tim or others, but Madden is pretty darn good prospect. He was a 3rd round pick, but seems to have risen in the Vancouver prospect rankings since then. Not sure who to compare him to for the Blues.
Kostin or Kyrou perhaps?
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Great deal for Vancouver. Toffoli is happy as he gets to stay out west which was key for him. Package sounds about right. Madden is an ok prospect....he’s a role player in the NHL....nothing more. Nice to see the Canucks as buyers at the deadline for a change.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Matangama wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm Dave, I’m not a prospect guy like Tim or others, but Madden is pretty darn good prospect. He was a 3rd round pick, but seems to have risen in the Vancouver prospect rankings since then. Not sure who to compare him to for the Blues.
From The Hockey Writers (Jan 20)
3. Tyler Madden (C)

Acquired: Third Round (68th overall), 2018 NHL Draft

2019-20 Team: North Eastern University Huskies (H-East)

2019-20 Stats: 22 GP – 16 G – 15 A – 31 PTS

To say that Tyler Madden’s season has been solid so far would be an understatement. All he has done is lead his team in scoring, set a new career-high in points with 31 and be a candidate for the Hobey Baker award. Just like many of the prospects on this list, he is exceeding expectations and showing us why draft position rarely matters in this sport.
Madden has filled in nicely for Adam Gaudette in the top-line center role for the Huskies. In the past, he was known more for his playmaking abilities, this season he has become more of a well-rounded centerman by adding goal scoring to his resume. His 16 goals are already four more than his freshman campaign and the season isn’t even over yet. That total also has him tied for second in the entire NCAA over many other first-round picks.
From Kevin Woolery NHL.com ( preseason)
From Corey Pronman at the Athletic ( today)
Tyler Madden, C, Los Angeles (traded from Canucks on Feb. 17)

Madden was No. 40 on my midseason prospect ranking, which would make him Los Angeles’ No. 5 ranked prospect right now, albeit in a very deep pool at the top. Madden is a player with elite skill. His 1-on-1 ability is among the very best drafted prospects outside the NHL. And he is a very smart two-way center. He makes a lot of high-end plays and is a solid defensive center because of how smart he is and his quality on-ice work ethic. He does everything for Northeastern, a top 10 team, regularly logging massive minutes this season. He has all the hockey abilities, but he’s a slight player with average feet. Even with his physical limitations, I think he will become a good NHL player once he eventually fills out with the potential to be a No. 2 center in the NHL. Madden was injured in a recent game, but it’s not believed to be a serious long-term injury.

He sounds like the most important part of the deal, according to these guys.

usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 pm
3. Tyler Madden (C)

To say that Tyler Madden’s season has been solid so far would be an understatement. All he has done is lead his team in scoring, set a new career-high in points with 31 and be a candidate for the Hobey Baker award. Just like many of the prospects on this list, he is exceeding expectations and showing us why draft position rarely matters in this sport.
Madden has filled in nicely for Adam Gaudette in the top-line center role for the Huskies. In the past, he was known more for his playmaking abilities, this season he has become more of a well-rounded centerman by adding goal scoring to his resume. His 16 goals are already four more than his freshman campaign and the season isn’t even over yet. That total also has him tied for second in the entire NCAA over many other first-round picks.

Screenshot_20200217-201112_NHL.jpg

Madden was No. 40 on my midseason prospect ranking, which would make him Los Angeles’ No. 5 ranked prospect right now, albeit in a very deep pool at the top. Madden is a player with elite skill. His 1-on-1 ability is among the very best drafted prospects outside the NHL. And he is a very smart two-way center. He makes a lot of high-end plays and is a solid defensive center because of how smart he is and his quality on-ice work ethic. He does everything for Northeastern, a top 10 team, regularly logging massive minutes this season. He has all the hockey abilities, but he’s a slight player with average feet. Even with his physical limitations, I think he will become a good NHL player once he eventually fills out with the potential to be a No. 2 center in the NHL. Madden was injured in a recent game, but it’s not believed to be a serious long-term injury.

He’s not going to replicate his college game at the NHL level . He’s likely going to be 3rd liner with special teams skills. He’s not going to be as good as his dad was but he will find a role for sure.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:24 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 pm
3. Tyler Madden (C)

Screenshot_20200217-201112_NHL.jpg

He’s not going to replicate his college game at the NHL level . He’s likely going to be 3rd liner with special teams skills. He’s not going to be as good as his dad was but he will find a role for sure.
I can't really offer much in the way of insight, considering ive never seen him play. I just go off what the scouting community says.

At least this explains why Vancouver grabbed Toffoli...

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm
Kostin or Kyrou perhaps?
Sounds like Kostin and Kyrou are above Madden. This trade doesn’t sound too expensive.

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm
Kostin or Kyrou perhaps?
Sounds like Kostin and Kyrou are above Madden. This trade doesn’t sound too expensive.
Yeah based on my understanding of our prospect pool, we don't really have much in the way of mid-range forwards. We have a couple high upside guys in Kyrou and hopefully Kostin, then a bunch of guys that will top out on the 4th line. It sounds like there's more ceiling diversity for defensemen, but who knows if LA was interested in their back end. The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a team's pro/amateur scouts just don't have the same opinion as the team their dealing with. I'm sure some teams are pushing a prospect they thing is high end, but a potential trade partner just doesn't think that guy has it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:54 am Blues saving their bullets for Dillon or someone like him.

Dillon is gonna be in high demand. So many teams need him so I’m not sure that bodes well for the Blues.
At the current cost of business, I have a hard time seeing Army make any deals. They have plenty of depth. What players they need are likely the highest in demand. It's a tough position.

usmcaaron wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:49 am
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:54 am Blues saving their bullets for Dillon or someone like him.

Dillon is gonna be in high demand. So many teams need him so I’m not sure that bodes well for the Blues.
At the current cost of business, I have a hard time seeing Army make any deals. They have plenty of depth. What players they need are likely the highest in demand. It's a tough position.
I think that this deadline is going to be boring as hell leaguewide. Chris Kreider is a good hockey player, but when he's the marquee name in the trading pool, it's going to be a long day for all of the TSN and Sportsnet people.

Today is like the day when Stamkos re-signed with Tampa, Subban was traded for Weber, and Hall was traded for Adam Larsson all within 20 minutes of each other. The only difference is that instead of all these Richard/Norris/Hart Trophy winners, every trade is Larsson for non-first round picks.