Re: News and Games around the NHL

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:13 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 pm NHL.com voted on Norris winner as of today

Voting totals (points awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis:

John Carlson, Capitals, 88 points (16 first-place votes); - 8m/yr through 25-26, modified NTC
Roman Josi, Predators, 67 (1 first-place vote); - 9.059m/yr through 27-28 NMC
Victor Hedman, Lightning 48 (1 first-place vote); - 7.875m/yr through 24-25 NMC into modified NTC
Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues, 28;
Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche, 9; - on his ELC
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins, 8; - 7.25m/yr through 21-22 modified NTC, NMC
Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks, 6; - on his ELC
Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets, 4; - 5m/yr through 21-22
Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes, 3; - 5.3m/yr through 24-25 modified NTC
Seth Jones, Blue Jackets 2; - 5.4m/yr through 21-22 modified NTC
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes 2; - 8.25m/yr through 26-27 NMC
Torey Krug, Boston Bruins 1; - 5.25m/yr modified NTC - UFA after this year (suck it boston!)
Keith Yandle, Florida Panthers 1 - 6.35m/yr through 22-23 NMC
Just for comparison to what Pie can command.

I can step away from the ledge now. NO WAY he gets more than 9m/yr
I wouldn't be so sure. If he went to July 1 I think he could get 10. Those cap hits aren't all apples to apples since a lot of them were signed years ago. In that time the cap has gone up and in many cases those players production has improved. Then you have the issue of the big contract defensemen that aren't listed. Doughty is at 11, Karlsson at 11.5, Subban at 9. Hell, Jacob Trouba just got 8! While Petro's resume at the time of signing won't be as robust as Doughty/Karlsson/Subban, he's probably a better player than all 3 of them right at this moment. Of course that's ammunition for both Petro and Army in this negotiation since those are 3 cases of high profile regression and/or injury.

Petro has a very reasonable position to ask for more than $9 mill, and Army has a very reasonable case to not want to go there. Term and Petro's desire to stay here will be the key factors. I think I'm about 65% sure he stays, but that's down from around 90% over the summer. It's getting more interesting.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

There is only one thing left on Petros list that he would consider being important in the grand scheme of things.....and that would be winning a Cup with the Leafs and his buddy JT.
He’s still going to get a statue outside Enterprise regardless of his decision ...he knows this already.
Leafs are gonna offer him big money if he waits until July 1st. If he wants to leave for more money...it’s fine and I don’t blame him. The Blues will be just fine without Petro. I’ve been thinking that his bff David Backes would talk him out of leaving for money but the difference is Petro has now won the cup here. Playing for the Leafs and having a chance to win a Cup with them I would think be high on his list
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 am There is only one thing left on Petros list that he would consider being important in the grand scheme of things.....and that would be winning a Cup with the Leafs and his buddy JT.
He’s still going to get a statue outside Enterprise regardless of his decision ...he knows this already.
Leafs are gonna offer him big money if he waits until July 1st. If he wants to leave for more money...it’s fine and I don’t blame him. The Blues will be just fine without Petro. I’ve been thinking that his bff David Backes would talk him out of leaving for money but the difference is Petro has now won the cup here. Playing for the Leafs and having a chance to win a Cup with them I would think be high on his list
Can the Leafs work him in Cap? Is he really truly buddy buddy with Taveras? Or is that just overblown talk? I guess he still gets a statue if he leaves, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Course if the Blues go back to back, then yeah. But there's other candidates on this team for a statue. Tank, potentially Binner and ROR if they have a successful run here. I'd say maybe Parayko but Pronger never got one - geez

BillP. wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 am There is only one thing left on Petros list that he would consider being important in the grand scheme of things.....and that would be winning a Cup with the Leafs and his buddy JT.
Can the Leafs work him in Cap? Is he really truly buddy buddy with Taveras? Or is that just overblown talk? I guess he still gets a statue if he leaves, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Course if the Blues go back to back, then yeah. But there's other candidates on this team for a statue. Tank, potentially Binner and ROR if they have a successful run here. I'd say maybe Parayko but Pronger never got one - geez
Leafs have to fix their defense and they only have 5 dmen under contract for next year and two of those guys are on their ELC. I would imagine they will deal Nylander for a dman and a lesser forward but they will have plenty of cash to make a run at Petro.
The key for the leafs next year will be if they can find enough depth at forward.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Leafs still paying retained salary on Kessel and Lehner until 2022!
Edit- just Kessel until 2022. I don’t even know how they are paying retained salary on Lehner but they are through this year according to cap friendly.
Edit #2. Looks like the Lehner trade to to Vegas was a 3 team deal involving the Leafs. That’s why they retained some of Lehners salary.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am Leafs still paying retained salary on Kessel and Lehner until 2022!
Edit- just Kessel until 2022. I don’t even know how they are paying retained salary on Lehner but they are through this year according to cap friendly
They ate a bit of Lehner's contract in exchange for a draft pick in the Hawks-Knights deal for Lehner.

Back to Petro and the Leafs. He's exactly what they need, but they'd need to make a lot of money go away AND get Petro to take a hell of a hometown discount to make that work. The worst thing to happen to the Leafs was Tavares growing up a fan of theirs. He was the solution to a problem they absolutely didn't have. As a result, there is no margin for error with their D/G situations. They have a few guys that are NHL defensemen, a couple young guys being given too big of a role too soon, and no backup goalie. Everything clicked last year when Andersen covered up their defensive woes, but now that he's dipped to below average, they're in big trouble.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am Leafs still paying retained salary on Kessel and Lehner until 2022!
Edit- just Kessel until 2022. I don’t even know how they are paying retained salary on Lehner but they are through this year according to cap friendly
They ate a bit of Lehner's contract in exchange for a draft pick in the Hawks-Knights deal for Lehner.

Back to Petro and the Leafs. He's exactly what they need, but they'd need to make a lot of money go away AND get Petro to take a hell of a hometown discount to make that work. The worst thing to happen to the Leafs was Tavares growing up a fan of theirs. He was the solution to a problem they absolutely didn't have. As a result, there is no margin for error with their D/G situations. They have a few guys that are NHL defensemen, a couple young guys being given too big of a role too soon, and no backup goalie. Everything clicked last year when Andersen covered up their defensive woes, but now that he's dipped to below average, they're in big trouble.
Yeah, I think Shanahan created a whole mess by going after Taveras. I always felt that was a mistake. I knew he'd mess it up over there....................If the Leafs want to trade Nylander, they shouldn't have any problem doing so, he's looked great this year in Toronto.

The Leafs already have over $56M tied up in 4 forwards (Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander), 2 defensemen (Muzzin and Rielly) and 1 goalie (Andersen). If the cap grows to $84M that leaves them less than $28M to fill in 10 forward slots, 5 defensemen and a backup goalie. That's less than $1.75M per slot and they already have $13.75M tied up in Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson, Holl and Campbell.

My point in all of this is that even if they swap out one of the Big 3 forward salaries to fit $9M-$10M for Petro, they still have virtually no wiggle room and will have to fill out the roster with ELC and barely above league minimum players or turnover nearly half their roster just to bring in one guy. I don't see the Leafs in the running for Petro. My guess is that they build their D around Muzzin and Rielly and swap Nylander for a lesser (than Petro) #2/3 D to compliment those two.

MissouriMook wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm The Leafs already have over $56M tied up in 4 forwards (Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander), 2 defensemen (Muzzin and Rielly) and 1 goalie (Andersen). If the cap grows to $84M that leaves them less than $28M to fill in 10 forward slots, 5 defensemen and a backup goalie. That's less than $1.75M per slot and they already have $13.75M tied up in Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson, Holl and Campbell.

My point in all of this is that even if they swap out one of the Big 3 forward salaries to fit $9M-$10M for Petro, they still have virtually no wiggle room and will have to fill out the roster with ELC and barely above league minimum players or turnover nearly half their roster just to bring in one guy. I don't see the Leafs in the running for Petro. My guess is that they build their D around Muzzin and Rielly and swap Nylander for a lesser (than Petro) #2/3 D to compliment those two.
How do you spell fucked up?

LEAFS

BillP. wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:31 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm The Leafs already have over $56M tied up in 4 forwards (Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander), 2 defensemen (Muzzin and Rielly) and 1 goalie (Andersen). If the cap grows to $84M that leaves them less than $28M to fill in 10 forward slots, 5 defensemen and a backup goalie. That's less than $1.75M per slot and they already have $13.75M tied up in Kerfoot, Kapanen, Johnsson, Holl and Campbell.

LEAFS
If they ain't careful, they may wind up being the next Edmonton Oilers.

They are going to move Nylander and I wouldn’t be shocked if they move one of Kapanen or Kerfoot as well. They are going to be hell bent on fixing that defense. They will totally be in on Petro if he hits the market on July 1st. If they go out in the first round again....they are going to make big changes

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:01 pm Kreider now out with a broken foot. Wow....that’s probably gonna derail the Rangers now. I was hoping they might sneak in
Been a tough few days for the Trade Deadline names.
Athanasiou - left 2nd game early
M. Green - MCL, out 4-6 weeks
Kreider - Broken foot
A. Greene - didn't play last night after leaving gm vs. NYR

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:57 pm

LEAFS
Dubas was supposed to be an analytics geek and he couldn't even put together the math for a proper lineup.

He will be toast after this season no matter what they do.

usmcaaron wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 pmBeen a tough few days for the Trade Deadline names.
Athanasiou - left 2nd game early
M. Green - MCL, out 4-6 weeks
Kreider - Broken foot
A. Greene - didn't play last night after leaving gm vs. NYR
All part of an NHLPA conspiracy to establish a negotiating position for the next CBA regarding player movement restrictions. :?:

If Petro ends up in Toronto, I think it probably has disaster written all over it. He will turn 31 a couple of months in to a 7-yr, huge contract, and he will be expected to be the savior - the missing piece on D that they have needed for so many years. I love Petro (our first Cup and all) and he is a very good player, but he is not a superstar. Toronto fans are going to have unrealistic expectations of him, and I’d feel sorry for the guy if he goes there......well, I’ll feel sorry for him except for the $70 million or so he will be paid to go there!

If Petro signs in Toronto, they will need to finally win a Cup in the first couple of years, because those fans will dog him if they don’t. As he gets slower in a couple of years, assuming they haven’t finally broken thru and won, he will become a scapegoat and he will regret his decision.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:09 am

LEAFS
Dubas was supposed to be an analytics geek and he couldn't even put together the math for a proper lineup.

Why would a team decide to let Shanahan run their organization? That right there is the dumbest move.

BillP. wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:16 am
BluesSK wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:09 am

Why would a team decide to let Shanahan run their organization? That right there is the dumbest move.
No argument there, Bill.