Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

The top 4 Defensemen just very well might be the top 4 you'd pick regardless of the selection process.
If it's representing team Canada in international tournaments I take JayBo's accomplishments over Bobby Orr.
This take is absolute fire and I love it.
😄

Take away their names and put their international accomplishments side by side and it's no contest.

So this has been out there a bit, but it really sounds like they're honing in on a 24 team playoff format. It's based on points percentage and will be conference based rather than by divisions. The top 4 seeds (STL/COL/VGK/DAL) would play each other in a round robin tournament to determine their seeding, and more importantly shake off rust in a non-elimination setting. Meanwhile the 5-12 seeds would play a playoff round (5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, etc.). I imagine that the 5-12 rounds would be shorter than best of 7.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 pm So this has been out there a bit, but it really sounds like they're honing in on a 24 team playoff format. It's based on points percentage and will be conference based rather than by divisions. The top 4 seeds (STL/COL/VGK/DAL) would play each other in a round robin tournament to determine their seeding, and more importantly shake off rust in a non-elimination setting. Meanwhile the 5-12 seeds would play a playoff round (5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, etc.). I imagine that the 5-12 rounds would be shorter than best of 7.
I heard something earlier this week suggesting that the currently favored plan might use the Top 6 from each division instead of the Top 12 from each conference. That would be a travesty to the Rangers (79 points) if they got left out as a 7th place team in the Metro in favor of Montreal (71) and Buffalo (68) as #5 and #6 in the Atlantic. That would also push Chicago out in the West in favor of Anaheim, but fuck Chicago.

I like the format idea, however, with 5-12 in each conference playing an elimination Best-of-5 while teams 1-4 in each conference play a 3 game round-robin tune-up series. I also recall hearing that the plan being favored at the moment would use a bracket style format where the 1 seed would play the winner of the 8-9 elimination series instead of the lowest surviving seed. No Bueno. They should definitely re-seed after the preliminary round and after rounds 1 and 2 like they always did when playoffs were conference based rather than divisional. Hopefully they get this right.

MissouriMook wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 pm So this has been out there a bit, but it really sounds like they're honing in on a 24 team playoff format. It's based on points percentage and will be conference based rather than by divisions. The top 4 seeds (STL/COL/VGK/DAL) would play each other in a round robin tournament to determine their seeding, and more importantly shake off rust in a non-elimination setting. Meanwhile the 5-12 seeds would play a playoff round (5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, etc.). I imagine that the 5-12 rounds would be shorter than best of 7.
I heard something earlier this week suggesting that the currently favored plan might use the Top 6 from each division instead of the Top 12 from each conference. That would be a travesty to the Rangers (79 points) if they got left out as a 7th place team in the Metro in favor of Montreal (71) and Buffalo (68) as #5 and #6 in the Atlantic. That would also push Chicago out in the West in favor of Anaheim, but fuck Chicago.

I like the format idea, however, with 5-12 in each conference playing an elimination Best-of-5 while teams 1-4 in each conference play a 3 game round-robin tune-up series. I also recall hearing that the plan being favored at the moment would use a bracket style format where the 1 seed would play the winner of the 8-9 elimination series instead of the lowest surviving seed. No Bueno. They should definitely re-seed after the preliminary round and after rounds 1 and 2 like they always did when playoffs were conference based rather than divisional. Hopefully they get this right.
They're bending over backwards to make sure they get all the big markets in the Dance that they can. That's why it's 24 and not 20, gotta get Montreal and Chicago in the mix if you can (barf). Regarding the bracket rather than re-seed, I agree that it is going to be incredibly dumb when a 12 seed wins and gets to take on the 4 seed instead of the 1 seed. Having said that, who knows how the re-seeding of the top 4 seeds will play out. If I'm being honest, I'll only be pissed if it gives the Blues a tougher matchup :lol: . Since that format makes no sense, I'm sure that's what the League will ultimately do.

The push to get big market teams in the playoff hunt is the main reason why I can't understand the Top 6 divisional philosophy versus the Top 12 in the conference. That shuts out NYR in favor of BUF and CHI in favor of ANA, both of which seem to be negative interest moves.

As far as the bracket format, here is what the West would look like in the event they come to their senses and take the Top 12 in the West:

EDM/CHI - winner plays DAL
NSH/ARZ - winner plays VGK
VAN/MIN - winner plays COL
CGY/WPG - winner plays STL

I'd be interested to hear from other as to which team, out of all possible matchups in the 5-12 range, would you prefer to see for the Blues in the first round after the preliminaries are over. Personally, there isn't anyone in the West that I fear for the Blues, but I would prefer to avoid Winnipeg for the revenge factor from the 2019 playoffs and Nashville because we've been awful against them this season.

MissouriMook wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 pm The push to get big market teams in the playoff hunt is the main reason why I can't understand the Top 6 divisional philosophy versus the Top 12 in the conference. That shuts out NYR in favor of BUF and CHI in favor of ANA, both of which seem to be negative interest moves.

As far as the bracket format, here is what the West would look like in the event they come to their senses and take the Top 12 in the West:

I'd be interested to hear from other as to which team, out of all possible matchups in the 5-12 range, would you prefer to see for the Blues in the first round after the preliminaries are over. Personally, there isn't anyone in the West that I fear for the Blues, but I would prefer to avoid Winnipeg for the revenge factor from the 2019 playoffs and Nashville because we've been awful against them this season.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing the top 6 Divisional thing. Here's what Chris Johnston reported:
So that would mean an Eastern Conference opening round of:

• 5. Pittsburgh vs. 12. Montreal (winner plays four seed)
• 6. Carolina vs. 11. Rangers (winner plays three seed)
• 7. Islanders vs. 10. Florida (winner plays two seed)
• 8. Toronto vs. 9. Columbus (winner plays one seed)

And a Western Conference opening round of:

• 5. Edmonton vs. 12. Chicago (winner plays four seed)
• 6. Nashville vs. 11. Arizona (winner plays three seed)
• 7. Vancouver vs. 10. Minnesota (winner plays two seed)
• 8. Calgary vs. 9. Winnipeg (winner plays one seed)

The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.
Nothing finalized, but this seems to be where it's headed.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:23 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 pm The push to get big market teams in the playoff hunt is the main reason why I can't understand the Top 6 divisional philosophy versus the Top 12 in the conference. That shuts out NYR in favor of BUF and CHI in favor of ANA, both of which seem to be negative interest moves.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing the top 6 Divisional thing. Here's what Chris Johnston reported:

The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.
Would they be reseeded after the first round?

If not you could potentially see number one playing number 8 and number four drawing number 12.

BluesSK wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 pm

If not you could potentially see number one playing number 8 and number four drawing number 12.
From what I've read, no they won't, which is really stupid. You know there will be upsets, so whats the real incentive for the top 4 seeds to play hard in the round robin? Hopefully they re-seed since it seems to be an easy fix.

this is the dumbest idea ever. season's over. just call it done. if you do this, whoever wins will forever have an asterisk and it will mean nothing, other than they have less time over the summer before the actual season starts. what if a major star gets injured in this exhibition clown show? so dumb. i realize that they are trying to generate some TV revenue for smaller markets that may fold without it, and i applaud that. but maybe just take up a collection among owners instead. or maybe if a team was that close to folding, they should.

BluesSK wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Yeah, under the normal set up of 1 thru 8, I would say playing the 8 seed in most circumstances is just as dangerous as any match up period. But 9 thur 12, yeah, I think there's a drop off in quality. Especially seeds 11 and 12.

T.C. wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am this is the dumbest idea ever. season's over. just call it done. if you do this, whoever wins will forever have an asterisk and it will mean nothing, other than they have less time over the summer before the actual season starts. what if a major star gets injured in this exhibition clown show? so dumb. i realize that they are trying to generate some TV revenue for smaller markets that may fold without it, and i applaud that. but maybe just take up a collection among owners instead. or maybe if a team was that close to folding, they should.
It’s beyond dumb....not only are they ruining this season but they will ruin next season as well.
I can’t believe that a league that has made billions of dollars for many years is in dire need funds
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 pm Cute tournament. What will they call it?
I vote for the Zach Sanford invitational!
Sorry Dread...it’s been so long since I could get a Sanford dig in....
He definitely should have a tournament or league trophy named after him. Maybe the award for the leagues best power forward or something.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am this is the dumbest idea ever. season's over. just call it done. if you do this, whoever wins will forever have an asterisk and it will mean nothing, other than they have less time over the summer before the actual season starts. what if a major star gets injured in this exhibition clown show? so dumb. i realize that they are trying to generate some TV revenue for smaller markets that may fold without it, and i applaud that. but maybe just take up a collection among owners instead. or maybe if a team was that close to folding, they should.
francis.jpg francis.jpg Viewed 12610 times 20.6 KiB

NHLTIM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 am
It’s beyond dumb....not only are they ruining this season but they will ruin next season as well.
I can’t believe that a league that has made billions of dollars for many years is in dire need funds
They don't want to have to credit $500M-$1B to their TV partners. The statistic I just googled says total League revenue last year was $5.09B(https://www.statista.com/statistics/193 ... ince-2006/). That seems like a strong enough reason to risk Crosby breaking his femur. It's going to happen. It'll be dumb when the Blues lose to Arizona in the first real round and Tarasenko's other shoulder falls off in Game 1, but c'est la vie.

Unrelated to all this potential playoff format stuff, Elliotte Friedman mentioned in his latest 31 Thoughts piece that the June draft idea seems to be on hold. He mentioned it casually, so maybe that's been out there for a while and I missed it. If they're scrapping that plan I wonder when it will finally take place. As crappy as the last few months have been, things are going to be insane (in a good way) late summer through fall...as long as we're not all on lockdown again.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm Unrelated to all this potential playoff format stuff, Elliotte Friedman mentioned in his latest 31 Thoughts piece that the June draft idea seems to be on hold. He mentioned it casually, so maybe that's been out there for a while and I missed it. If they're scrapping that plan I wonder when it will finally take place. As crappy as the last few months have been, things are going to be insane (in a good way) late summer through fall...as long as we're not all on lockdown again.
A June draft does seem unlikely at this point. My understanding from hearing several national media types commenting on it is that the league has committed to giving clubs at least 30 days notice of scheduling the draft date, whenever that may be. The clock (or calendar in this case) seems to be against that happening in June unless something breaks in the next week. I've heard that there is a lot of pushback from the GMs on this issue, and that the Governors of their teams seem to be supporting them instead of the Commissioner.