Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:52 am
T.C. wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:58 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 am The best thing about this is that our young guys can learn...so we don't ever have to hear this about Thomas, Dunn, Kyrou...etc.
sorry, what are you saying here? seems to me guys have no chance to learn. fuck up once and you're crucified in the court of public opinion, then fired forever. i've never seen a company/employer actually stand behind their guy for the 24-72h it would take for the SJWs to forget it and move onto the next thing. literally all you have to do is nothing. but they cave the instant a vocal minority (or more likely, persons) cries.
It’s not worth the hassle for them to fuck up. That’s just the world we live in today.
right. so what are you saying? how can they learn?
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 am Which hockey player has been fired forever for fucking up?
off the top of my head, jeremy roenick, don cherry. but i'm speaking about the world in general. i've seen it happen to many people. lots of comedians. musicians. etc.

T.C. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 am Which hockey player has been fired forever for fucking up?
off the top of my head, jeremy roenick, don cherry. but i'm speaking about the world in general. i've seen it happen to many people. lots of comedians. musicians. etc.
Oh ok. He was talking about young players so I thought you meant players are getting fired for fucking up. I don't think JR's situation should be lumped in with that, I believe the co-worker complained about him, not the public.

There was a comedian who did a bit on it, it might have been Seinfeld, but he said something to the effect of, "I'll tell you what, come back in a month and if you still care, then I'll answer your questions"
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:42 am
Oh ok. He was talking about young players so I thought you meant players are getting fired for fucking up. I don't think JR's situation should be lumped in with that, I believe the co-worker complained about him, not the public.

There was a comedian who did a bit on it, it might have been Seinfeld, but he said something to the effect of, "I'll tell you what, come back in a month and if you still care, then I'll answer your questions"
I realize this may or may not come off as a hot take but the common thread between Leipsic, Cherry and Roenick is that they weren't good at their jobs anyway. Leipsic had been watching from the press box after the deadline, after being the king of hockey media for decades, Cherry had become a angry out of touch old man that couldn't break down the game anymore (not like the charming, in touch old men on this message board), and Roenick was just never ever good as a broadcaster.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:58 am

I realize this may or may not come off as a hot take but the common thread between Leipsic, Cherry and Roenick is that they weren't good at their jobs anyway. Leipsic had been watching from the press box after the deadline, after being the king of hockey media for decades, Cherry had become a angry out of touch old man that couldn't break down the game anymore (not like the charming, in touch old men on this message board), and Roenick was just never ever good as a broadcaster.
Yeah, I always thought my distaste for Roenick as a broadcaster was because he was a Blackhawk, but then when Patrick Sharp came on NBC and was actually decent I realized my hatred for Hawks didn't completely cloud my reasoning when judging broadcasters. JR sucked. When you're good at your job society has shown time and time again you have more leeway with getting in trouble--see Patrick Kane, Auston Mathews, hell even ROR.

JR was a fucking clown for sure. still the way it went down (in was all clearly in the context of a joke) was distasteful to me. i get the feeling KT can take a joke and understands humor, but was probably just done with JR and used the incident as a lever to oust him. so, good on her for playing the game i guess.

i don't give a shit about don cherry either way. was just citing another example where lack of political correctness riled the vocal minority/few to cost a person their career.

T.C. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am JR was a fucking clown for sure. still the way it went down (in was all clearly in the context of a joke) was distasteful to me. i get the feeling KT can take a joke and understands humor, but was probably just done with JR and used the incident as a lever to oust him. so, good on her for playing the game i guess.

i don't give a shit about don cherry either way. was just citing another example where lack of political correctness riled the vocal minority/few to cost a person their career.
I don’t think she gave a damn about it until somebody told her she should be offended. Shes good friends with JR and his wife....or at least was. I don’t even think JR was that bad on the broadcast. The funny thing is Sharp is really good at what he does but he’s got quite a reputation off the ice involving bedding chics...especially some media chics in Chicago, not to mention Duncan Keith’s wife depending on who you believe. Sharpie definitely stuck to the gameplan with the females up there...”get it in deep and work it around”
Last edited by NHLTIM on Mon May 11, 2020 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am
T.C. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am JR was a fucking clown for sure. still the way it went down (in was all clearly in the context of a joke) was distasteful to me. i get the feeling KT can take a joke and understands humor, but was probably just done with JR and used the incident as a lever to oust him. so, good on her for playing the game i guess.

I don’t think she gave a damn about it until somebody told her she should be offended. Shes good friends with JR and his wife....or at least was. I don’t even think JR was that bad on the broadcast. The funny thing is Sharp is really good at what he does but he’s got quite a reputation off the ice involving bedding chics...especially some media chics in Chicago.
right. so do the math there and sharpie is tappin' tappen. she wanted him closer to her so she could pounce.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:58 am

The moral of the story is...

It's always good to have dirt on your employees when they start to suck.

BluesSK wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 pmThey are going broke.
"going broke" is an overstatement of their position, at the very least. Certainly the AHL & NHL have a lot of options to consider for 2020-21 play, and there will be teams hurt financially more severely than others. But the AHL exists to feed players to the NHL, and there are no better options to take their place in this function.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:40 am Is there anyone on here that wants the NHL to continue this season?

If so, I'm curious what is the cut off for you? Is it play no matter when and how it has to be done or is there a dealbreaker date, etc for you?
It is crazy. The season is done. The momentum, the trending, the buildup................all gone. What the Blues accomplished means little now, except maybe for seeding..................it's a fuck'n brand new season if it starts up again IMO. It's great for shit teams like Chicago and Montreal that get a reprieve, but for us, Colorado, etc., it's bull shit that all that hard work/success is out the door. But I do want to see hockey. How much "no sports" can us fans take?

I just prefer to go straight into the offseason. I don’t want an at all costs Cup Champion just to have a champion. The season is tainted and so would be the playoffs and cup champion.
What they should be doing is everything possible to figure out how to open the 2020-21 season on time with fans in the building. That should be there focus right now.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am I just prefer to go straight into the offseason. I don’t want an at all costs Cup Champion just to have a champion. The season is tainted and so would be the playoffs and cup champion.
What they should be doing is everything possible to figure out how to open the 2020-21 season on time with fans in the building. That should be there focus right now.
Keenan was on Leafs Lunch yesterday and he said the Cup wouldn't be tainted. He said the rules and setup is the same for everyone from the ground up and no way would winning the Cup be tainted. He said he always looked at it in simple terms, you either win or lose - ha

BillP. wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:25 am
NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am I just prefer to go straight into the offseason. I don’t want an at all costs Cup Champion just to have a champion. The season is tainted and so would be the playoffs and cup champion.
Keenan was on Leafs Lunch yesterday and he said the Cup wouldn't be tainted. He said the rules and setup is the same for everyone from the ground up and no way would winning the Cup be tainted. He said he always looked at it in simple terms, you either win or lose - ha
24 team tourney taints the cup. Stopping and starting taints the cup.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

The only reason I want to see the season finish is so that the finances of the league aren't so screwed up that it leads to bigger problems down the road. If the TV revenue isn't what they expect and they have to issue a massive credit to NBC/Sportsnet, all hell is going to break loose. Massive escrow or a cap that decreases. Both the league and players will be pissed. Will the Cup be tainted? Sure, but only the winning team's archrival fans will give a crap. We have a real Cup win under our belt already, so I couldn't care less if the second one is tainted. If we get swept in the first round of some weird playoff format, bummer, but maybe we can keep Petro for it, or use the extra cap space to improve if he leaves. I'd rather have a better team next year and have lost this year than have to read 10 articles a week next season about how surly the players are about having 35% of their paycheck being put in escrow all year. If that means somebody weird like the Blue Jackets wins the Cup, that's fine by me.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:29 am
BillP. wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:25 amKeenan was on Leafs Lunch yesterday and he said the Cup wouldn't be tainted. He said the rules and setup is the same for everyone from the ground up and no way would winning the Cup be tainted. He said he always looked at it in simple terms, you either win or lose - ha
24 team tourney taints the cup. Stopping and starting taints the cup.
Taint no solution that taint gonna piss SOMEBODY off.

I was talking to MattyIce here at work yesterday about this, but how much of an effect on the game will playing in empty arenas have? I mean fan influence, atmosphere, has a ton to do with the outcome of a game IMO. Like I was telling Matt, some players, if not most, just feed off the hate when playing on the road. How much will the intensity be effected by no fans at game? Is a 3-0 lead in a game more likely to stick without fan influence? Will the Blues rock with the hits in the playoffs without fans? It is fucked up and chances are we will see an obscure team win. Damn, hate to see the Hawks win this thing, tainted or not, it would still be a Cup win.

BillP. wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm I was talking to MattyIce here at work yesterday about this, but how much of an effect on the game will playing in empty arenas have? I mean fan influence, atmosphere, has a ton to do with the outcome of a game IMO. Like I was telling Matt, some players, if not most, just feed off the hate when playing on the road. How much will the intensity be effected by no fans at game? Is a 3-0 lead in a game more likely to stick without fan influence? Will the Blues rock with the hits in the playoffs without fans? It is fucked up and chances are we will see an obscure team win. Damn, hate to see the Hawks win this thing, tainted or not, it would still be a Cup win.
I feel like the potential for an expanded playoff format has made everyone forget that the Hawks still suck. There is no way they'd win unless the other 23 teams Covid themselves and have to forfeit.