Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:49 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:26 am Seems suboptimal for Calgary:
We're getting close to just shutting the season down again for a couple weeks.
My prediction is that unless this thing blows up even more (which it might), they ride this thing out until the Olympics decision deadline. The league doesn't want to go, but wants to honor their agreement with the players to let them go. At the very least it's a bargaining chip next time there's a labor negotiation. The way things are trending, it's possible the players will say screw it and not go on their own. Either way the league is taking the Olympic break since it'd be too hard to re-book the arenas during the 3 week break. If the players opt out, it's possible they make up some of the games that have already been cancelled due to covid, but that's not very many at this point.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Leafs and Senators are now only allowed 50% capacity for home games. There will be no fans allowed at all in Quebec starting with tonight's Habs-Flyers game. Besides the fact that they're doing the fans a solid by not allowing them to watch that horrible team, it's a pretty big bummer we're headed back in that direction.

Just checking out the standings today, a couple of things caught my eye. Everybody's been talking about the Canucks going on a 6 game winning streak since hiring Boudreau, but you know who else has won six straight? Nashville. They currently have the same record as the Blues, but hold the tiebreaker for second in the division (actual points not %). They traded away a few pieces last year, but are still getting great production from Josi and Forsberg, as well as nice bounceback years from Duchene and Johansen. They've got a Covid situation going on now like half the league, but man I'm impressed and a little annoyed with their year so far.

The other thing I noticed, remember when Edmonton was a sure thing to run away with the Pacific after their hot start and Vegas's injury issues? Well now the Oilers are the last wild card team. Hockey!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:57 am
BluesSK wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:35 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 am WOW!

Only coach Jets 2.0 have ever had. Gotta be a lot more to this story.
If you had to spend a winter in Winnipeg you would resign too.
For sure, but maybe not if I'd already spent 10 or so there already. What else am I gonna do with all these snow shoes and ice fishing gear?
Everyone has their breaking point. 😅

BillP. wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:15 am Ovechkin tied with McDavid for first in points with 47. Damn. If anyone didn’t believe in him breaking Gretzkys record, start believing. I never doubted the dude and I started doing the math 4 or 5 years ago. The man is indestructible.
He has a higher points per game average than Gretzky did which is astonishing.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm
BillP. wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:15 am Ovechkin tied with McDavid for first in points with 47. Damn. If anyone didn’t believe in him breaking Gretzkys record, start believing. I never doubted the dude and I started doing the math 4 or 5 years ago. The man is indestructible.
He has a higher points per game average than Gretzky did which is astonishing.
You must mean higher goals per game average. Couldn’t be points. That’s off the charts - ha

But yeah, even a higher goals per game avg is astonishing. I wasn’t aware of that.