Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:34 pm Thought it was interesting in today’s telecast, Eddie Olczyk said he wanted to clarify that back in the day, players back then would have a thousand goals if they had today’s rules which cater to offense.
Eddie took too many shots to the head. Goalies in the 80s stood there in tiny equipment as soft shots just passed by them. Offense has bounced back to decent levels but I have zero idea what Eddie is on about.

Matangama wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 am
JMC-STL wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:57 am
Matangama wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:55 amI already saw that the Canes official online store is selling Ayers shirts! I agree, they’re going to sell a ton of them. They should give the money to charity.
According to the Carolina Pro Shop page ... "Ayres will receive royalties for the shirt and a portion of the proceeds will go to a kidney foundation."
Outstanding!
"a kidney foundation" could be The Canes' version of George Costanza's "The Human Fund" for all anyone knows. But to charge 12 bucks shipping for a $28 merch item, now THAT'S a scam. :roll:

ratonmono wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:46 pm
BillP. wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:34 pm Thought it was interesting in today’s telecast, Eddie Olczyk said he wanted to clarify that back in the day, players back then would have a thousand goals if they had today’s rules which cater to offense.
Eddie took too many shots to the head. Goalies in the 80s stood there in tiny equipment as soft shots just passed by them. Offense has bounced back to decent levels but I have zero idea what Eddie is on about.
Darren Pang was an NHL goalie for years, and he's the size of a tic-tac. Eddie O is just a grumpy old man that doesn't realize it yet. Era comparisons are dumb, just enjoy the greatness while it's in front of you.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:18 pm
Darren Pang was an NHL goalie for years, and he's the size of a tic-tac. Eddie O is just a grumpy old man that doesn't realize it yet. Era comparisons are dumb, just enjoy the greatness while it's in front of you.
Eddie's just upset that his point prowess that he supposedly had in the Junior's never translated to the NHL. The only thing I remember about Eddie from his playing days was his whiny looking frowning face he had on his hockey card for the jets when was seemingly skating for a puck, or getting benched and scratched in the NYR's cup run year.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:22 am

Eddie's just upset that his point prowess that he supposedly had in the Junior's never translated to the NHL. The only thing I remember about Eddie from his playing days was his whiny looking frowning face he had on his hockey card for the jets when was seemingly skating for a puck, or getting benched and scratched in the NYR's cup run year.
The moment I went from being indifferent about Eddie to not being able to stand him was watching him break down the Seabrook hit on Backes. He was desperately trying to look for any evidence that it was a clean hit. Meanwhile Pierre of all people jumps in and says something to the effect of "nah, he hit him directly in the head with his shoulder, fuck him".

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:22 am

Like this one?https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Topps-hoc ... 3711968833
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm Can’t believe I’m watching Senators vs Columbus but it’s the only game tonight so what choice do I have - ha. Can’t believe only one gm tonight.
I get having a light schedule on deadline day, 50 players changed teams today and would've been out of the lineup. I think it's funny that the one game featured the Senators, who were one of the teams most likely to be making moves, but then again, another L would be doing them a favor.

NHL.com voted on Norris winner as of today

Voting totals (points awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis:

John Carlson, Capitals, 88 points (16 first-place votes);
Roman Josi, Predators, 67 (1 first-place vote);
Victor Hedman, Lightning 48 (1 first-place vote);
Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues, 28;
Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche, 9;
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins, 8;
Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks, 6;
Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets, 4;
Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes, 3;
Seth Jones, Blue Jackets 2;
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes 2;
Torey Krug, Boston Bruins 1;
Keith Yandle, Florida Panthers 1

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 pm NHL.com voted on Norris winner as of today

Seems about right to me.

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 pm NHL.com voted on Norris winner as of today

Petro was getting a push as a top 2 candidate earlier in the year from some within the advanced stats crowd, but I'm not sure how they view it today. I wonder if he makes it top 3 in the end given the strength of the ol' Canadian media "it's his turn" protocol.

John Carlson, Capitals, 88 points (16 first-place votes); - 8m/yr through 25-26, modified NTC
Roman Josi, Predators, 67 (1 first-place vote); - 9.059m/yr through 27-28 NMC
Victor Hedman, Lightning 48 (1 first-place vote); - 7.875m/yr through 24-25 NMC into modified NTC
Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche, 9; - on his ELC
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins, 8; - 7.25m/yr through 21-22 modified NTC, NMC
Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks, 6; - on his ELC
Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets, 4; - 5m/yr through 21-22
Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes, 3; - 5.3m/yr through 24-25 modified NTC
Seth Jones, Blue Jackets 2; - 5.4m/yr through 21-22 modified NTC
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes 2; - 8.25m/yr through 26-27 NMC
Torey Krug, Boston Bruins 1; - 5.25m/yr modified NTC - UFA after this year (suck it boston!)
Keith Yandle, Florida Panthers 1 - 6.35m/yr through 22-23 NMC
Just for comparison to what Pie can command.

I can step away from the ledge now. NO WAY he gets more than 9m/yr
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou