Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 pm Dallas beats Vegas in shootout. Vegas technically still alive, 4 points back with 2 to play.
Dallas could seal it against Arizona tonight, but seem to be doing everything they can NOT to. They were up 3-0 going into the 3rd, and now they're tied at 3 with 7+ minutes to play. All Dallas has to do to lock down the final playoff spot is make it to OT in this game. Will they do it?

BluesSK wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:19 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:54 amMy hope is the Blues win the cup this year and then absolutely shit the bed next season and end up with the #1 pick

There will be a lot of tanking next season by many teams.
No doubt the 16 year-old Bedard had an outstanding second season with the WHL's Regina Pats (51G + 49A = 100 pts. in 62 games). But the WJC goal shown in that vid clip is less about his offensive skills on a sharp angle shot & more about the mechanics of his composite stick, which flexed as it hit the defender's outstretched stick shaft & caused the puck to loft over the goalie's dipped shoulder. You can instead watch this highlight video montage of Bedard's recent season, to get a better assessment of whether tanking for a very young hockey talent who is currently 5'9" and 181 pounds will be a smart team building strategy for a defending Stanley Cup winner ...

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:18 am Shocking news out of Philly.
The guy thats been a failure in all stops has failed again? Shocking.

Imagine firing Berube just to hire the guy he took over for and won a cup with a roster he was sending toward a lottery pick.
To be fair Yeo just took over this season after Alain Vigneault. Dave Hakstol replaced Berube...and is also a much worse coach than him! But yeah besides the late season bump the Blues got after they canned Hitch for Yeo full time, he's made every team worse.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

update on Q

Part of the NHL-imposed conditions surrounding any plan Quenneville has to return to the league, if he chooses to do so, will be approval from Bettman. So far, Quenneville hasn't asked for such a meeting.

"There's nothing currently happening with Joel," Bettman said. "And if and when there's a real conversation to be had, then I'll focus on it at the time."

Bettman, who has been making the rounds of NHL playoff cities now that the postseason has started, was at Florida for the Panthers' Eastern Conference first-round game against the Washington Capitals on Thursday night.

Quenneville is the second-winningest coach in NHL history, his 969 victories trailing only the 1,244 amassed by Scotty Bowman.

"I assume it'd be initiated by Joel, if and when he thinks it's the appropriate time and he feels that he's ready to come back and there's an opportunity," Bettman said. "But again, I'll have to make an evaluation at that time."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/338 ... nhl-return
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:03 pm update on Q

Part of the NHL-imposed conditions surrounding any plan Quenneville has to return to the league, if he chooses to do so, will be approval from Bettman. So far, Quenneville hasn't asked for such a meeting.

"There's nothing currently happening with Joel," Bettman said. "And if and when there's a real conversation to be had, then I'll focus on it at the time."

Bettman, who has been making the rounds of NHL playoff cities now that the postseason has started, was at Florida for the Panthers' Eastern Conference first-round game against the Washington Capitals on Thursday night.

Quenneville is the second-winningest coach in NHL history, his 969 victories trailing only the 1,244 amassed by Scotty Bowman.

"I assume it'd be initiated by Joel, if and when he thinks it's the appropriate time and he feels that he's ready to come back and there's an opportunity," Bettman said. "But again, I'll have to make an evaluation at that time."

So how long until he ends up in Vegas?

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:17 pm

The other thing I took from that is the Blues employed the two most winningest coaches in hockey history and it took Berube to get them the cup for the first time.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 pm

The other thing I took from that is the Blues employed the two most winningest coaches in hockey history and it took Berube to get them the cup for the first time.
Plus, toss in Al Arbour.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 pm

4 of top 5 with Hitch and Arbour. 17 Cups between them I think. None in their common stop. Gotta love that pre-2019 Blues history!