Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pmI was talking to MattyIce here at work yesterday about this, but how much of an effect on the game will playing in empty arenas have? I mean fan influence, atmosphere, has a ton to do with the outcome of a game IMO. Like I was telling Matt, some players, if not most, just feed off the hate when playing on the road. How much will the intensity be effected by no fans at game? Is a 3-0 lead in a game more likely to stick without fan influence? Will the Blues rock with the hits in the playoffs without fans? ...
Crank up the music in the arena another 20dB, and they'll never know the difference. Until they're 45 years old, and can't hear the doorbell ring.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm I was talking to MattyIce here at work yesterday about this, but how much of an effect on the game will playing in empty arenas have? I mean fan influence, atmosphere, has a ton to do with the outcome of a game IMO. Like I was telling Matt, some players, if not most, just feed off the hate when playing on the road. How much will the intensity be effected by no fans at game? Is a 3-0 lead in a game more likely to stick without fan influence? Will the Blues rock with the hits in the playoffs without fans? It is fucked up and chances are we will see an obscure team win. Damn, hate to see the Hawks win this thing, tainted or not, it would still be a Cup win.
I feel like the potential for an expanded playoff format has made everyone forget that the Hawks still suck. There is no way they'd win unless the other 23 teams Covid themselves and have to forfeit.
Actually if they do that 24 team tournament, I hope the Hawks do win it. It will make for a great night in the Asylum.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 am

And he wasn't on anybody's all time Blues roster!
He always had the talent to stick in the NHL, I just don't think he ever really was comfortable here. Glad he's found his home.
That’s because he’s a confused Russian

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:44 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 am

And he wasn't on anybody's all time Blues roster!
He always had the talent to stick in the NHL, I just don't think he ever really was comfortable here. Glad he's found his home.
That’s because he’s a confused Russian
But it's not HIS fault that his parents spelled his name backwards. :?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am This would seem to eliminate hockey for at least another month

I would expect that crossing the border to report to your job on a valid work visa would be considered "essential" travel even if you're not doing "essential" work. Especially in a situation where you are theoretically reporting to a location where you will be quarantining with your co-workers for an indefinite period of time. I don't see this impacting hockey at all.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 am Well that's a pretty good team

I know they had some goofy rules for these rosters they've been dropping, but if you're including John Tonelli and putting him on the first line you're trying way too hard. Nice to see Paul Henderson continue to dine out on his best week ever I suppose.
I think they're going by actual contrbutions made in actual Canada World Cups. Tonelli from my understanding was probably their best player. I think 84.
I mean Dany Heatly is on it :roll:

BillP. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 am Well that's a pretty good team

I know they had some goofy rules for these rosters they've been dropping, but if you're including John Tonelli and putting him on the first line you're trying way too hard. Nice to see Paul Henderson continue to dine out on his best week ever I suppose.
I think they're going by actual contrbutions made in actual Canada World Cups. Tonelli from my understanding was probably their best player. I think 84.
I mean Dany Heatly is on it :roll:
Yeah but Dany Heatly kicked ass until he didn't. He averaged 44 goals a year over a 5 year period including back to back 50 goal seasons. Tonelli played one tournament for Canada. I will grant that he won the MVP that tournament, which I did not know, but he was also tied for 4th on his own team in scoring, so I think the voters might have just been bored with giving all the awards to Gretzky/Coffey/Bossy etc.

Anyway now I'm probably overthinking things, which is the very thing I accused TSN of doing.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

The top 4 Defensemen just very well might be the top 4 you'd pick regardless of the selection process.
If it's representing team Canada in international tournaments I take JayBo's accomplishments over Bobby Orr.
Bobby Orr gets a lot of praise for playing in Canada Cup 76. He was basically on his way to retirement at that time, yet still played in that tournament on very bad knees. Everyone says he willed Canada to victory and I'm thinking the praise is probably exaggerated a bit because its Orr, but nonetheless, Canada Cup 76 is his calling card in that tournament.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

The top 4 Defensemen just very well might be the top 4 you'd pick regardless of the selection process.
If it's representing team Canada in international tournaments I take JayBo's accomplishments over Bobby Orr.
This take is absolute fire and I love it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

You know what...fuck Bobby Orr...I’m tired of that fake diving asshole and getting to be a legend for 50 years because of it. Tired of seeing that damn play. So glad we stuck it in their ass.

"Suck a dick Johansen"