Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm
Drubilly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:29 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Yeah. I see a guy covering his ass to make a play on the man he should be covering. It was a pretty soft hit but an awkward fall.
I think the result of the hit has skewed perception.
Imagine a player skating across the ice to prevent the opposing puck carrier from just skating in untouched! I feel like the outcry of that play sums up society lately as well.
passed. Have dropped many words of wisdom on this forum, but I doubt any are more true.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am
Drubilly wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:27 am

Yeah, that is definitely a charge
I don’t think it’s charging. He skated to make a play and to separate the man from the puck. Also looks like he glides into the hit which to me nullifies any charging call.
I see that too... sucks there was an injury but an ejection is laughable
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

More complicated and less entertaining, it's the NHL way.

The NHL's Board of Governors approved changes to the draft lottery on Tuesday, reducing the number of picks involved in the lottery from three to two while restricting how many spots a team can jump with a lottery win, a source told The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

The reduction in lottery-eligible picks from three to two will be implemented for the 2021 draft lottery and beyond. Other approved changes include restricting teams to a 10-spot jump with a lottery win and limiting clubs to no more than two lottery wins in a five-year span. Both of those changes will be implemented for the 2022 draft lottery and beyond.

Under these changes, the team with the worst record cannot draft lower than No. 3, and only 11 teams can win the draft lottery to pick first.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 am More complicated and less entertaining, it's the NHL way.

The NHL's Board of Governors approved changes to the draft lottery on Tuesday, reducing the number of picks involved in the lottery from three to two while restricting how many spots a team can jump with a lottery win, a source told The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

The reduction in lottery-eligible picks from three to two will be implemented for the 2021 draft lottery and beyond. Other approved changes include restricting teams to a 10-spot jump with a lottery win and limiting clubs to no more than two lottery wins in a five-year span. Both of those changes will be implemented for the 2022 draft lottery and beyond.

Under these changes, the team with the worst record cannot draft lower than No. 3, and only 11 teams can win the draft lottery to pick first.
The NHL is made up of morons that are shocked when things work the way they were designed.

-NHL in 2015, "We decreased the lottery odds for the worst team to discourage tanking after the McDavid/Eichel draft"
-Only 2 last place overall teams win lottery over next 5 years.
-NHL in 2021, "HEY! This isn't supposed to work like this!! How come the worst teams aren't getting any help!!!!!"

I hate that they changed it to help the losers. If you hear anyone saying that Detroit was bad "honestly" and wasn't tanking, try to sell them an elevator pass. This sucks and is dumb. The fact that the NHL is suprised by their system working the way they designed it just shows you how dumb the people running this league are. It's the GMs that make the rules, and every rule change they make is to make their own job easier and to help job security. Until that changes, we'll just see more dumb stuff like this every year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 am Peel has never been a great ref, and these game management calls are stupid, but.......
Not a good look when you have gambling companies investing in your sport.
Well as it stands right now, smart gamblers know penalties will always be within 1 of each other no matter how many murders are committed on the ice. Hockey is the only sport that officiates itself this way, and it's stupid. If you watch any college or pro basketball or football game there are wide disparities in penalties/fouls ALLLLLLLLL the time. Nobody pisses and moans about their team getting screwed, they piss and moan about their team being undisciplined. I do have to say that if the NHL refs DID call the rule book rather than manage the game, the fan outrage would be extreme since they've been trained for decades that PIMs should be more or less equal every game.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:49 am Well, quite frankly is anyone really surprised? Look at some of the penalties that have been called/not called. How many remote controls wouldn't have had to be replaced? This just cemented everything that I've suspected for fucking decades.
Surprised? No. But it's one thing to suspect shenanigans, it's another to have irrefutable evidence that potential outcomes of games are manipulated by referees.

As someone mentioned, especially with legalized gambling spreading across the country.

When Ryan Reaves played here, I always felt like the zebras were looking for a reason to get him off the ice, rather than to have to break up a fight later. He got called for some of the weakest shit, that it made me want to see him gone... not because I didn't like him or his style, but because of the bullshit calls he had thrown his way. He doesn't seem to get that treatment these days, and I doubt that he's changed his approach to the game any.

T.C. wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:31 am Fuck yeah. For a few years, the wings-avs games were must-see for sure. I remember a game that ended with no score but was still a fantastic game.
Same. I was a young teen at that point and would spend those game days just looking at the clock waiting for puck drop. Adam Foote was my favorite player growing up and him and his big nose were involved in everything

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:53 am
T.C. wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:31 am Fuck yeah. For a few years, the wings-avs games were must-see for sure. I remember a game that ended with no score but was still a fantastic game.
Same. I was a young teen at that point and would spend those game days just looking at the clock waiting for puck drop. Adam Foote was my favorite player growing up and him and his big nose were involved in everything
Yeah he was a beast. I had (have) hejduk and drury jerseys from that era.