Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Edmonton is in the top 4. Blues, Lanche, Vegas, Oil
Dallas beat Edmonton out based on points percentage. They are the top seed in the play-in, facing the Hawks. Regarding the question, I could see Minnesota being frustratingly plucky, and Calgary could be trouble if Gaudreau has gotten his shit together over the pause. I was tempted to mention the Jets, but the only reason they're still alive is Hellebuyck standing on his head all year. If he's even just above average they're in trouble.
Dave, here's an interesting thread found in the Poll thread on HF Boards. Draft eligible players since 2010, Team Europe vs NA. Who do you take?
I'm in the minority here as in the poll, it's like 68-20 NA. But I think Team Europe rocks here. I think they're more explosive and that PP would be unstoppable. What's your take?

TEAM EUROPE
Panarin - Draisaitl - Kucherov
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak
Rantanen - Pettersson - Laine
Kuznetsov - Zibanejad - Tarasenko

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA
MacKinnon - McDavid - Seguin
Matthews - Eichel - Marner
Hall - Scheifele - M.Tkachuk
Huberdeau - Point - Konecny

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
Sheesh. That's such a crazy good group of players. I think the Euro forward group is a little more well rounded but less explosive. I'll call the forwards a push. On the back end however. TNA runs away with it. The Euro D group is skilled, but the NA D group is insane. Vasy has had better numbers overall, but I think Gibson was the best goalie in the league in 2018-19 behind a trainwreck of a team. I like the North Americans in 6.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am

Edmonton is in the top 4. Blues, Lanche, Vegas, Oil
Dallas beat Edmonton out based on points percentage. They are the top seed in the play-in, facing the Hawks. Regarding the question, I could see Minnesota being frustratingly plucky, and Calgary could be trouble if Gaudreau has gotten his shit together over the pause. I was tempted to mention the Jets, but the only reason they're still alive is Hellebuyck standing on his head all year. If he's even just above average they're in trouble.
Dave, here's an interesting thread found in the Poll thread on HF Boards. Draft eligible players since 2010, Team Europe vs NA. Who do you take?
I'm in the minority here as in the poll, it's like 68-20 NA. But I think Team Europe rocks here. I think they're more explosive and that PP would be unstoppable. What's your take?

TEAM EUROPE
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
That’s a sweep for North America . Team Europe is a one line team. I’d target Aho and Pettersson and hit the fuck out of them until they wilt....that will kill lines 2 and 3. Their 4th line is shit so no problem there. Then target Heiskanen and Dahlin and now their defense is fucked.
Matthews would also be centering line 2.....and Hall is moving up to that line as well.
Team NA baby!!!!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:36 pm

TEAM EUROPE
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
Sheesh. That's such a crazy good group of players. I think the Euro forward group is a little more well rounded but less explosive. I'll call the forwards a push. On the back end however. TNA runs away with it. The Euro D group is skilled, but the NA D group is insane. Vasy has had better numbers overall, but I think Gibson was the best goalie in the league in 2018-19 behind a trainwreck of a team. I like the North Americans in 6.
Ha, was wondering what your take was. Guess that's why NA is winning the poll. But Tarasenko and that 4th line is crazy good, and then with Pasta and Panarin running the 2 PP units. I'm bullish on Team Europe. Wish we could actually see this play out.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:17 pm

TEAM EUROPE
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
That’s a sweep for North America . Team Europe is a one line team. I’d target Aho and Pettersson and hit the fuck out of them until they wilt....that will kill lines 2 and 3. Their 4th line is shit so no problem there. Then target Heiskanen and Dahlin and now their defense is fucked.
Matthews would also be centering line 2.....and Hall is moving up to that line as well.
Team NA baby!!!!
You make a good case, if they play for keeps and got physical, Team NA would have the edge.

TEAM EUROPE
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
Team NA baby!!!!
A fine strategy, but not if there are only 2 forwards on your roster that have ever delivered a body check.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:28 pm

TEAM EUROPE
Aho - Barkov - Pasternak

Heiskanen - Dahlin
Klingberg - Sergachev
Klefbom - Provorov

Vasilevskiy

TEAM NA

Chabot - Jones
Rielly- Hamilton
Hughes - Makar

Gibson
Team NA baby!!!!
A fine strategy, but not if there are only 2 forwards on your roster that have ever delivered a body check.
Tkachuk and my boy Travis Konecny is all you need to make it happen.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Team NA baby!!!!
Tkachuk and my boy Travis Konecny is all you need to make it happen.
I think every game would have as many goals as there were hits. It would be different than an all-star game though, so I'd still watch. Interestingly (or perhaps not), I only count 3 Cup winners on those rosters (Tarasenko, Seguin, Panarin). Seguin was a rookie and was scratched for about half the playoffs too, so he only gets half credit. I guess the moral of the story is TNA doesn't know what it takes like those Russians do :P

That or TNA should add Robert Thomas.

Just saw that Chris Cuthbert has left TSN and joined Sportsnet. Pretty sure that means no more game on NBC for him and that sucks for all of us. He is one of the very best there is at calling games.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 pm How much do you think players will care about the playoffs this year?

For example, I was thinking normally guys play through pretty much any injury for a stanley cup playoffs, do you think that'll be the case this year? Or will guys be more open to shutting it down if they get injured?
Only if they don't get their name on that shiny trophy if they win.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 pm How much do you think players will care about the playoffs this year?

For example, I was thinking normally guys play through pretty much any injury for a stanley cup playoffs, do you think that'll be the case this year? Or will guys be more open to shutting it down if they get injured?
How bout the flip side? How many injuries will occur when the playoffs advance and things heat up? I expect the first round to start off passive, but eventually somewhere down the line, things will heat up. Hockey is in their blood, the competitive nature just takes over , at some point the intensity will ramp up.

Here's a little fancy stats summary of all the teams that got byes in the West. Blue line is the team's expected goals for (I assume a rolling average) and the red line is expected goals against. This measures how well the skaters are playing, but does not account for goaltending.

The whole thread is an easy way to refresh your memory on how teams played throughout the season. Handy since it's been so long. It's also a pretty strong argument for giving Connor Hellebuyck the Hart.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 am Here's a little fancy stats summary of all the teams that got byes in the West. Blue line is the team's expected goals for (I assume a rolling average) and the red line is expected goals against. This measures how well the skaters are playing, but does not account for goaltending.

The whole thread is an easy way to refresh your memory on how teams played throughout the season. Handy since it's been so long. It's also a pretty strong argument for giving Connor Hellebuyck the Hart.
Is this just measured by shots for and against basically?

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 am Here's a little fancy stats summary of all the teams that got byes in the West. Blue line is the team's expected goals for (I assume a rolling average) and the red line is expected goals against. This measures how well the skaters are playing, but does not account for goaltending.

Is this just measured by shots for and against basically?
That's part of it, but it measures the quality of the shot in terms of where it was coming from. More value in a high danger chance than one from the blue line. You don't get any real credit for dumping the puck on net from center ice before you go on a line change like you would if you were just measuring Corsi for instance.