Re: News and Games around the NHL

T.C. wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm What if one player or coach catches the virus? The whole thing will be game over.

This is just so dumb. Especially if they fuck up the scheduling for the next season or two.
yep. see my post above.

if the NHL's main concern is smaller market teams getting ad revenue to survive, why not just pass the collection plate around the other team owners? i'm sure they could cover whatever the smaller market teams need to survive with what's in their pockets without whoring the league out like this. BUT... that only works if they are sure next season could start as normal. and it appears there's no guarantee of that, either. so i don't know what to do. but i do know this is dumb.
This men are literal billionaires. They don't even need ad revenue to stay afloat.

I saw this tweet which really drilled it home.

Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm What if one player or coach catches the virus? The whole thing will be game over.

This is just so dumb. Especially if they fuck up the scheduling for the next season or two.
yep. see my post above.

if the NHL's main concern is smaller market teams getting ad revenue to survive, why not just pass the collection plate around the other team owners? i'm sure they could cover whatever the smaller market teams need to survive with what's in their pockets without whoring the league out like this. BUT... that only works if they are sure next season could start as normal. and it appears there's no guarantee of that, either. so i don't know what to do. but i do know this is dumb.
Jeremy Jacobs doesn't care if the Arizona Coyotes survive, and certainly isn't going to pay for them to do so. He's more than willing to risk his players health to make sure he can collect that sweet, sweet TV revenue.

To your larger point, is this dumb? Of course it is. That's never stopped the NHL before.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 am

Jeremy Jacobs doesn't care if the Arizona Coyotes survive, and certainly isn't going to pay for them to do so. He's more than willing to risk his players health to make sure he can collect that sweet, sweet TV revenue.

To your larger point, is this dumb? Of course it is. That's never stopped the NHL before.
I believe that's the NHL business model right there.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I'm not sure that would be the case. That would be something that they need to address and state their plan of action before resuming the season. You'd think someone from the media would ask that question. Good point.

I swear I heard on NHL radio yesterday that if a team comes down with a player testing positive they are done for the tournament immediately. Now I should point out that I was drinking at the time but I swear I heard that.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:46 am I swear I heard on NHL radio yesterday that if a team comes down with a player testing positive they are done for the tournament immediately. Now I should point out that I was drinking at the time but I swear I heard that.
That's crazy. If that's their contingency plan then yeah, why start everything up. Somebody is going to test positive during this tournament. That's a no brainer. If the NHL just doesn't shut down that player for a period of time then fuck it, don't re-start the season. They have to have a plan and state what they are going to do for situations like this before the season resumes.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:46 am I swear I heard on NHL radio yesterday that if a team comes down with a player testing positive they are done for the tournament immediately. Now I should point out that I was drinking at the time but I swear I heard that.
So it could've been anytime after 8:45 am.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 pm
So it could've been anytime after 8:45 am.
This week for sure.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 pm

So at best, end of July start time. They are going to be finishing this season on Halloween.
If they had camp for two weeks ahead of the play-in round, they could start the play-in round on Saturday, July 25. Games all afternoon and evening on Saturday and Sunday.

It should only take them 10 days to get through the preliminaries, then a 3-4 day reset and start the playoffs Friday, August 7 or Saturday, August 8. With the only travel required between the WCF/ECF and the SCF, you should be able to play down to a champion by the first full week of October.

That would give you 6-8 weeks to get players rested and get through the draft and free agency and start back up in late November around American Thanksgiving. You're finishing the regular season around mid- to late-May with a champion crowned in late July 2021and you start the 2021-2022 around November 1 so that you can trim the next two off-seasons by a few weeks and get back on a "normal" league calendar by the 2022-2023 season. It sucks in many ways, but it's all we've got right now. Obviously, I'm in the camp of do what you have to do to save this season.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:27 am
BillP. wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:14 am NHL.com votes on top 16 teams to not win the Cup. Blues got to make this list, right?

48A48591-936D-47AE-985C-461E006BEA0D.png
I'm still confused what the hell happened to the Lightning last year
Yeah, it’s crazy. They lose in first rd but maybe they win Cup if that doesn’t happen. It’s like the Kings with their 2nd Cup, down 3-0 in first rd., but instead of going down and looking like bums, they win 1 game and take off. I think it’s all Devine intervention for the Blues to win the Cup. It was meant to be our year, so shit like the Caps and Tampa getting bounced was all part of the plan.

BillP. wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 am As a 20 yrs old Dman, Quinn Hughes has officially won the rookie scoring race for the season.

According to EliasSports, a rookie dman winning the rookie scoring race has only been accomplished 2 other times in the last 80 years, by Bobby Orr and Brian Leetch.
Too bad those two never amounted to much.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:42 am
BillP. wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 amAs a 20 yrs old Dman, Quinn Hughes has officially won the rookie scoring race for the season.

According to EliasSports, a rookie dman winning the rookie scoring race has only been accomplished 2 other times in the last 80 years, by Bobby Orr and Brian Leetch.
Too bad those two never amounted to much.
Unfortunately, Hughes will have an asterisk next to that award. He had 53 points in 68 games played out of VAN's 69 games. COL Cale Makar had 50 points in 57 games played out of the Avalanche's 70 games. Coulda caught him in a full season.