Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:29 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:11 am The 24 team playoff format is here to stay.
Really wonder how this would impact that trade deadline going forward. You'd have very few sellers theoretically
Good point. Personally, I don’t see it. They might tinker with the idea for a play in game for the WC spots but that would be it. Anything after that gets too complicated IMO. I don’t see adding another layer of rounds with first rd byes handed out, etc.

Man..it was the like the Blues west there. They had a damn good team back in the day. Nice of Hakan Loob to fuck up the video though..lol. Ramage went the wrong way too
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

They made the draft lottery sound super complicated but it's not really....probably. Three winners for top 3 picks. Odds for the 7 teams that didn't make the play-in round or the playoffs stay exactly the same. They will also have placeholders for the 8 play in round losers. If the top 3 picks are all won by teams that didn't make the play in round, great, its over. If one of the placeholders wins, they have another lottery (or multiple if needed) with the 8 teams eliminated in the play-in round. All those teams that lose the play-in round will have the same odds.

I don't know why they can't just wait to have the lottery until after the play-in round so they can do away with this placeholder nonsense, but whatever, I like the potential veil of mystery.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:57 pm So let’s play a best of 5 to eliminate 8 teams that probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs anyway.
It is imperfect at best, but they had to do something to deal with the fact that 2 teams in the East (CBJ and NYI) and 4 teams in the West (CGY, WPG, NSH, VAN) could have been either in or out depending on whether you use total standing points or points percentage just because the league was forced to stop while games played were imbalanced. How would you suggest dealing with that?

I suppose you could thin the field to 20 and have two play in series in each conference, but then you've increased the complexity of seeding the 12 teams (not 8) that get byes in the play-in round and traded one issue for another. Like it or not, bringing the Habs and Hawks into the mix will generate additional interest (and, therefore, revenue) to a league in need of cash.

MissouriMook wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:57 pm So let’s play a best of 5 to eliminate 8 teams that probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs anyway.
It is imperfect at best, but they had to do something to deal with the fact that 2 teams in the East (CBJ and NYI) and 4 teams in the West (CGY, WPG, NSH, VAN) could have been either in or out depending on whether you use total standing points or points percentage just because the league was forced to stop while games played were imbalanced. How would you suggest dealing with that?

I suppose you could thin the field to 20 and have two play in series in each conference, but then you've increased the complexity of seeding the 12 teams (not 8) that get byes in the play-in round and traded one issue for another. Like it or not, bringing the Habs and Hawks into the mix will generate additional interest (and, therefore, revenue) to a league in need of cash.
I mean we can just call it what it is at this point, they needed more games strictly from a money perspective. The competitiveness of it was an after thought.

We'll all watch, it'll be fun, but the legitimacy of it is out the window for me. Even if the Blues win.

Edit: Don't let it also be lost on us that the 11 and 12 seeds consist of Montreal, Chicago, New York....
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Tue May 26, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm The other part of this is we are looking probably at a mid to late July start time, which means ending in what, August/September? I guess next year will be a reduced season as well. Unless they plan to just push hockey back into the summer time endings going forward.

I think they're still planning on cramming in 82, but the season is going to shift later, possibly January. That way it'll impact the 21-22 start too.

Listening to NHL Fantasy On Ice podcast this morning and they made a good point about a team like Colorado lucking out and not having to play a team like Dallas in the 1st rd. And they also talked about goaltending. Don't be surprised if a backup ends up taking the lead and running with it in the playoffs. Maybe a guy like Halak, or the guy in Washington, etc.

BillP. wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 am Listening to NHL Fantasy On Ice podcast this morning and they made a good point about a team like Colorado lucking out and not having to play a team like Dallas in the 1st rd. And they also talked about goaltending. Don't be surprised if a backup ends up taking the lead and running with it in the playoffs. Maybe a guy like Halak, or the guy in Washington, etc.
Goaltending is going to be everything. I'd watch out for Florida. They're a top 10 team offensively that was killed by a horrid year from Bobrovsky, especially early on. If he is at or close to his typical form after the restart they're going to be a handful.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:26 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm
Can't see how they don't go to best of 7 in 2nd round. Would be shocked if otherwise.
Unless they can't start until September....
Going best-of-7 versus best-of-5 in the first two rounds shouldn't add more than a week to the playoff schedule, especially with the absence of travel. This should be a no-brainer, which is probably why they're still trying to figure it out. :lol:

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm What if one player or coach catches the virus? The whole thing will be game over.

This is just so dumb. Especially if they fuck up the scheduling for the next season or two.
yep. see my post above.

if the NHL's main concern is smaller market teams getting ad revenue to survive, why not just pass the collection plate around the other team owners? i'm sure they could cover whatever the smaller market teams need to survive with what's in their pockets without whoring the league out like this. BUT... that only works if they are sure next season could start as normal. and it appears there's no guarantee of that, either. so i don't know what to do. but i do know this is dumb.