Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:38 am OMG What a joke this article is.
Meh, Berkshire is a fancy stats writer and the fancy stats haven't been quite as kind to the Blues as they were last year during the second half.
The Blues are a very tough team to quantify with stats. The reason is because they win by out willing teams. They are at their best when it is shift after shift, wave after wave of grind it out hockey, timely goals, and solid goaltending/defense.
Who cares. Let's start this bitch up and defend the chalice. Whoever takes the Blues out better be ready for a war with Chief behind the bench.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 am
Meh, Berkshire is a fancy stats writer and the fancy stats haven't been quite as kind to the Blues as they were last year during the second half.
The Blues are a very tough team to quantify with stats. The reason is because they win by out willing teams. They are at their best when it is shift after shift, wave after wave of grind it out hockey, timely goals, and solid goaltending/defense.
Who cares. Let's start this bitch up and defend the chalice. Whoever takes the Blues out better be ready for a war with Chief behind the bench.
Last year the many of the fancy stats quantified the Blues as the best team in the league in the second half. Will is great, but only if it produces results, and results can be measured.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 am
Last year the many of the fancy stats quantified the Blues as the best team in the league in the second half. Will is great, but only if it produces results, and results can be measured.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am Everyone loves to hate Bettman ....but he seems determined to have an NHL season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/commissioner-g ... -316699898
I think the revenue loss is just something that the league and owners won't bear. They're already going to be without regular gate revenue, but losing out on the playoff TV revenue is a bridge too far for them. They're going to award a Cup this season one way or another unless they just absolutely aren't allowed. Whether they should or not is an entirely different question for another thread.

The draft timing is going to be interesting. Having it in June before the end of the season (assuming there is one) presents tons of issues as the article highlights. It also would likely deprive us of all the draft day trades we know and love (besides picks for picks). On the other hand, these scouts already haven't been able to see draft prospects play in over a month, and it'll be 3+ months by the end of June. I imagine pounding on the table to draft a guy you haven't seen live in that long might be less than ideal. I don't have a strong opinion on this one just yet.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:38 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am Everyone loves to hate Bettman ....but he seems determined to have an NHL season.

I think the revenue loss is just something that the league and owners won't bear. They're already going to be without regular gate revenue, but losing out on the playoff TV revenue is a bridge too far for them. They're going to award a Cup this season one way or another unless they just absolutely aren't allowed. Whether they should or not is an entirely different question for another thread.

The draft timing is going to be interesting. Having it in June before the end of the season (assuming there is one) presents tons of issues as the article highlights. It also would likely deprive us of all the draft day trades we know and love (besides picks for picks). On the other hand, these scouts already haven't been able to see draft prospects play in over a month, and it'll be 3+ months by the end of June. I imagine pounding on the table to draft a guy you haven't seen live in that long might be less than ideal. I don't have a strong opinion on this one just yet.
Did I mention how awesome it was that the Blues won the Cup last season???

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:47 am

Can confirm.

When they start the season back up, the Blues will repeat. Book it!

BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:27 am NHL is planning on having the draft before the NHL season resumes. So, in theory, a team can win the draft lottery, get the first pick in the draft, and then make the playoffs and go on to win the Stanley Cup.....................just sayin
I don't mind that aspect of it at all. I just don't like that we won't see any player for player trades and that the conditional picks will be all messed up in that format. It's always been possible for a team to win the Cup, then get the first pick, just never with their own pick.

BillP. wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Nothing like a Stanley Cup in an empty arena and no parade.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am

Which is why they need to end the season. I can’t believe the NHL powers that be think that starting up I’m July and playing through September is a good idea. Just cancel the damn season and let’s do the draft and the the damn offseason.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:42 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am

Which is why they need to end the season. I can’t believe the NHL powers that be think that starting up I’m July and playing through September is a good idea. Just cancel the damn season and let’s do the draft and the the damn offseason.
They care more about the money than they do the "integrity of the Cup", no matter what they say. I heard on a podcast that they've already collected basically all of their cash from NBC/Sportsnet for this season, however if they don't play the playoffs, they have to issue a credit to those two for next season. Not. Gonna. Happen. I'm pretty convinced now they'll play the 2020 playoffs in April 2023 on the moon if they have to.