Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am I still can’t figure out the Botterill thing. He was the next upcoming great GM...he learned the craft from one of the best. Outside of the trade with Army, he’s made some decent deals but it sure seems like the ROR trade is gonna be the trade he’s always remembered for. That trade is like a big monkey on his back.
That's a tough trade to come back from. You gave up a guy who went on to win the Conn Smythe and you have nothing to show for it. Dreadful asset management that sets a franchise back.
Just a Russian propaganda account

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am I still can’t figure out the Botterill thing. He was the next upcoming great GM...he learned the craft from one of the best. Outside of the trade with Army, he’s made some decent deals but it sure seems like the ROR trade is gonna be the trade he’s always remembered for. That trade is like a big monkey on his back.
It will always boggle my mind that his solution to fixing a losing culture was to trade the player most bothered by losing, but whatever, it worked out for us!

Anyway I think he's also never had competent goaltending, as our old pal Carter Hutton hasn't quite been the same guy playing behind a less dominant defense. He's made a couple good deals, but I think that Skinner contract is gonna hurt.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 am
That's a tough trade to come back from. You gave up a guy who went on to win the Conn Smythe and you have nothing to show for it. Dreadful asset management that sets a franchise back.
Conn Smythe and Selke. Only Bob Gainey is the other player that can claim such an honor in the same season.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 am
Both draft picks could wind up Hall of Famers and it'd still be a deal the Blues make every time, right?

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 am Things I never expected to see: Dmitrij Jaskin as the 2nd best goal scorer in a league.

Good for him. He never was going to be more than just a guy in the NHL. He seemed like a decent guy and the skill showed up from time to time here, but I don't know that he was willing to do the dirty work necessary for him to stick with the Blues forward group in his time here.

Story on HF Boards I had never heard before. Anyone else ever hear about the Blues almost leaving in mid seventies?

St. Louis: Sidney Salomon (II or III - I can't remember if it was father or son) was looking at selling the St. Louis Blues due to a ridiculous lease in an aging arena in St. Louis. By December 1975, four cities are mentioned as relocation spots: Seattle, Denver, Miami and New Orleans. Salomon had visited the Superdome earlier that year and felt it could host hockey. He further claimed that people in New Orleans had contacted him about buying the team. In January 1976 the NHL gave him permission to move. Ultimately a better lease was worked out (I think but can't remember the details) and they stayed.

BillP. wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:07 pm Story on HF Boards I had never heard before. Anyone else ever hear about the Blues almost leaving in mid seventies?

St. Louis: Sidney Salomon (II or III - I can't remember if it was father or son) was looking at selling the St. Louis Blues due to a ridiculous lease in an aging arena in St. Louis. By December 1975, four cities are mentioned as relocation spots: Seattle, Denver, Miami and New Orleans. Salomon had visited the Superdome earlier that year and felt it could host hockey. He further claimed that people in New Orleans had contacted him about buying the team. In January 1976 the NHL gave him permission to move. Ultimately a better lease was worked out (I think but can't remember the details) and they stayed.
That’s about 95% right, Bill. If I’m not mistaken, the Salomons owned the Arena from the beginning of the franchise (bought it from the Wirtz family for $4 mil), and then when things definitely got tough for the franchise in the mid-70’s, as you indicate. Ultimately, they sold both the team and the Arena to Ralston Purina in 1977. So most of what you’re saying is correct, but i don’t think it had to do with a bad lease since they owned the building. But it was an old place that was a total money pit, so that was definitely an issue.

BillP. wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:07 pm Story on HF Boards I had never heard before. Anyone else ever hear about the Blues almost leaving in mid seventies?

Interesting story. The Blues didn't hit real financial issues until a year or two after 1975 so I'd be surprised if moving the team was to that advanced of a staged by the end of '75. Certainly possible though. It would've been the Salomon III though.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pm You know, if these stations are going to air retro games on TV, it would be better if they aired an exciting regular season game that no one knows who won instead of airing a clinching SC Final game that we all know who won. Am I missing something here?
I've been thinking that right from the beginning. I want to see meaningless penalty filled Norris division brawlfests.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:36 pm
BillP. wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pmYou know, if these stations are going to air retro games on TV, it would be better if they aired an exciting regular season game that no one knows who won instead of airing a clinching SC Final game that we all know who won. Am I missing something here?
I've been thinking that right from the beginning. I want to see meaningless penalty filled Norris division brawlfests.
String together every Oilers-Flames match from 2019-20. In fact, I say screw the rest of any lame-ass NHL playoff bastardization that Bettman has concocted and stage an EDM-CAL marathon game with the winner being the team who runs out of skaters first. :bananaride: