Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm I've been posting a lot over on HF Boards lately due to the boredom. Anyway, there was a thread over there about "What are some offers that players regret not taking".................and I posted Shattenkirk for not accepting the Tampa Bay deal to begin with. Would of saved him a whole lot of trouble and money...............anyway some guy responded to me and said according to Colaiacovo, Shatty also turned down a 7 & 7 to go to Buffalo................now this one we didn't hear about. But I guess with Army and how things are kept secret, it's possible.
Got another response back from that guy that gave me that info, and it sounds like Shattenkirk was offered the 7yr/49M from Buffalo via free agency. Wasn't like the sign and trade offer with Tampa.

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:36 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm I've been posting a lot over on HF Boards lately due to the boredom. Anyway, there was a thread over there about "What are some offers that players regret not taking".................and I posted Shattenkirk for not accepting the Tampa Bay deal to begin with. Would of saved him a whole lot of trouble and money...............anyway some guy responded to me and said according to Colaiacovo, Shatty also turned down a 7 & 7 to go to Buffalo................now this one we didn't hear about. But I guess with Army and how things are kept secret, it's possible.
Got another response back from that guy that gave me that info, and it sounds like Shattenkirk was offered the 7yr/49M from Buffalo via free agency. Wasn't like the sign and trade offer with Tampa.
That's a good topic. I assume they've brought up Kevin LeBanc taking a 1 year 1M deal this season to keep the band together in San Jose. He's put up 23 few points (in 12 fewer games) and is a -33. Sometimes the band needs to break up. I'm sure there's a music guy on this board that can complete this metaphor.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

STORY ON NHL.COM

NEW YORK/TORONTO -- This week, the National Hockey League (NHL) will continue to keep fans connected with the game while practicing social distancing with a new slate of programming and original content featuring current and former NHL players, celebrities and award-winning broadcast personalities. Recorded remotely, these video features will be delivered to passionate hockey fans around the world via the League's internal broadcast and digital platforms and through NHL national broadcast partners in the United States and Canada.

The highlight of the new line-up of original content is a reunion of current members of the defending 2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues via video conference on Wednesday, April 8, the originally scheduled first day of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. This will mark the first virtual coming together of a professional sports team since the suspension of play. Fans will able to view the reunion at 8 p.m. ET on NHL.com, the NHL's social channels on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and on Sportsnet ONE in Canada. NBCSN will air the gathering on Monday, April 13, at 6 p.m. ET.

"We are really excited about this week at the NHL. Our players have been so interested in connecting with our fans and the lineup that we've put together is quite extraordinary," said NHL Chief Content Officer Steve Mayer. "From our virtual press conferences to our Classic Games programming to the incredible reunion of the St. Louis Blues, this week will be remarkable as we keep adding new content every week."

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:30 pm STORY ON NHL.COM

NEW YORK/TORONTO -- This week, the National Hockey League (NHL) will continue to keep fans connected with the game while practicing social distancing with a new slate of programming and original content featuring current and former NHL players, celebrities and award-winning broadcast personalities. Recorded remotely, these video features will be delivered to passionate hockey fans around the world via the League's internal broadcast and digital platforms and through NHL national broadcast partners in the United States and Canada.

The highlight of the new line-up of original content is a reunion of current members of the defending 2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues via video conference on Wednesday, April 8, the originally scheduled first day of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. This will mark the first virtual coming together of a professional sports team since the suspension of play. Fans will able to view the reunion at 8 p.m. ET on NHL.com, the NHL's social channels on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and on Sportsnet ONE in Canada. NBCSN will air the gathering on Monday, April 13, at 6 p.m. ET.

"We are really excited about this week at the NHL. Our players have been so interested in connecting with our fans and the lineup that we've put together is quite extraordinary," said NHL Chief Content Officer Steve Mayer. "From our virtual press conferences to our Classic Games programming to the incredible reunion of the St. Louis Blues, this week will be remarkable as we keep adding new content every week."
Interesting. Sounds like the NBA is talking about doing stuff like this as well, discussing doing a virtual game of HORSE with stars playing in their own home gyms.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm
Sure, it's heartwarming to see a St. Louis kid with Blues bloodlines on an NHL Central Scouting list. But Seamus Campbell's minor, high school & junior numbers so far are unremarkable (putting it kindly), while being ranked at 195 out of 217 of NORTH AMERICAN skaters (with a similar list for International skaters). So other than being the apple of the eye of Dad Jimmy, let's not set high expectations for this local prospect.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Sure, it's heartwarming to see a St. Louis kid with Blues bloodlines on an NHL Central Scouting list. But Seamus Campbell's minor, high school & junior numbers so far are unremarkable (putting it kindly), while being ranked at 195 out of 217 of NORTH AMERICAN skaters (with a similar list for International skaters). So other than being the apple of the eye of Dad Jimmy, let's not set high expectations for this local prospect.
Don't you be hating on Soup Jr. Ricky Bobby!

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:57 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Don't you be hating on Soup Jr. Ricky Bobby!
I'd be more inclined to root for his career if his name was Seamus McCampbell. It's got a much better ring to it.

https://detroitsportsnation.com/art...q ... zU6GmKi-Xs

New York Rangers forward Artemi Panarin, who is the NHL’s second highest player with an annual salary of $11.463 million, isn’t happy about the loss of salary amidst the NHL’s shutdown thanks to the pandemic – and is prepared to sit out next season should he be met with furthe reduced salary.

“100%, they think,” Panarin when asked about if the League would be cutting salaries “With the players they are discussing the conditions with the league.”

He was then told the cuts could potentially reach upwards of 40-60%.

“Ahh. I think we will have less. If 40 to 60 percent, then why am I doing this at all? Then I will probably skip the next year.”

Panarin has earned $27,625,000 so far in his NHL career, which began in 2015. He was then suggested that the KHL, Russia’s top hockey league, would be an option.

“Yes exactly,” he said with a laugh. “We still do not understand. They say in the region of 20-30%.”

“I can breathe in any case, I’m not complaining. But we also have a tax – somewhere around 45-50% I pay up to 20% of these, and 20-30% is still on top.”

Is this the kind of thing you want to hear from wealthy athletes while so many other regular people are struggling?

BillP. wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:12 pm New York Rangers forward Artemi Panarin, who is the NHL’s second highest player with an annual salary of $11.463 million, isn’t happy about the loss of salary amidst the NHL’s shutdown thanks to the pandemic – and is prepared to sit out next season should he be met with furthe reduced salary.

“100%, they think,” Panarin when asked about if the League would be cutting salaries “With the players they are discussing the conditions with the league.”

He was then told the cuts could potentially reach upwards of 40-60%.

“Ahh. I think we will have less. If 40 to 60 percent, then why am I doing this at all? Then I will probably skip the next year.”

Panarin has earned $27,625,000 so far in his NHL career, which began in 2015. He was then suggested that the KHL, Russia’s top hockey league, would be an option.

“Yes exactly,” he said with a laugh. “We still do not understand. They say in the region of 20-30%.”

“I can breathe in any case, I’m not complaining. But we also have a tax – somewhere around 45-50% I pay up to 20% of these, and 20-30% is still on top.”

Is this the kind of thing you want to hear from wealthy athletes while so many other regular people are struggling?

Read the room Panarin. Enjoy the KHL
Just a Russian propaganda account

For what it's worth on the NBA front, sounds like they're considering a training plan that hinges on whether or not medical officials will lift restrictions:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/290 ... ources-say

I don't know anymore, I hear wildly different numbers every time I turn on the TV or click on any story. I just hope those involved in decision making for all organizations, sports world and otherwise, are make smart decisions. I still can't believe this happened.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

So baseball has discussed putting all their players in Arizona and holding their games in empty spring training stadiums. NBA could do something similar because there's literally gyms everywhere.

But what about the NHL? Is there a location that you could isolate all the teams in an area that would have enough rinks to play out games in? Canada?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am So baseball has discussed putting all their players in Arizona and holding their games in empty spring training stadiums. NBA could do something similar because there's literally gyms everywhere.

But what about the NHL? Is there a location that you could isolate all the teams in an area that would have enough rinks to play out games in? Canada?
If they go straight to the playoffs, they could find 4 sites and do it. North Dakota, Moose Jaw Saskatchewan was another one I heard. It would make it easy to do with 16 teams.

BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 amSo baseball has discussed putting all their players in Arizona and holding their games in empty spring training stadiums. NBA could do something similar because there's literally gyms everywhere.

If they go straight to the playoffs, they could find 4 sites and do it. North Dakota, Moose Jaw Saskatchewan was another one I heard. It would make it easy to do with 16 teams.
No matter how hockey-friendly any potential Western Canada community may be, I'd be surprised if the Canadian health officials would be keen on one of their towns hosting such an event (even with just players & staff in attendance). For better or probably worse, somewhere in the Continental U.S. is a far more likely venue for such an NHL playoff attempt. There are a few complexes in Minnesota with enough NHL-sized ice & the experience putting on tournaments, the Blaine Super Rink/ National Sports Center complex north of Minneapolis coming to mind (4 each NHL & Olympic sheets). True isolation will be damn near impossible anywhere in North America, but a facility like this would stand a Bettman snowball's chance. Gonna take some smooth talking & promises to make it happen.