Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm I'm looking at some old NHL standings and I did not know or remember that for 2 years, the first 2 years the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky were in the league, that for the first 2 years they were in the same division as the St. Louis Blues - ha. And that includes the 80-81 season where the Blues challenged for 1st overall with the Islanders.
The Blues kicked ass that year. Liut was the runner up to Gretzky for the Hart. They lost in the playoffs to the Rangers, who had 33 fewer regular season points. That's a familiar tale.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm I'm looking at some old NHL standings and I did not know or remember that for 2 years, the first 2 years the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky were in the league, that for the first 2 years they were in the same division as the St. Louis Blues - ha. And that includes the 80-81 season where the Blues challenged for 1st overall with the Islanders.
The Blues kicked ass that year. Liut was the runner up to Gretzky for the Hart. They lost in the playoffs to the Rangers, who had 33 fewer regular season points. That's a familiar tale.
The Rangers had Barry Beck and the Blues didn't. That was the Blues weak link, they didn't have a premier D man. Look at their D that year, it was pretty pedestrian. Amazing that the Blues were able to score that many goals and win that many games with a defense like that...........but it caught up to them.

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 pm
The Rangers had Barry Beck and the Blues didn't. That was the Blues weak link, they didn't have a premier D man. Look at their D that year, it was pretty pedestrian. Amazing that the Blues were able to score that many goals and win that many games with a defense like that...........but it caught up to them.
Gassoff would have been that guy
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 am Don't know if we talked about this on here, but the Olympics being postponed for a year is actually great news for the NHL. It frees up NBC and Sportsnet in the late summer. If the Olympics weren't delayed, the league wouldn't have any national broadcast partners.

The fact that an event that wasn't even supposed to start until the end of July is being canceled does not bode well for a NHL playoff happening. We playing August hockey right into training camp? You're screwing up two seasons of hockey doing that.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 am Don't know if we talked about this on here, but the Olympics being postponed for a year is actually great news for the NHL. It frees up NBC and Sportsnet in the late summer. If the Olympics weren't delayed, the league wouldn't have any national broadcast partners.

The fact that an event that wasn't even supposed to start until the end of July is being canceled does not bode well for a NHL playoff happening. We playing August hockey right into training camp? You're screwing up two seasons of hockey doing that.
Yeah, but there's a difference with the Olympics, right?
-Fans come from every corner of the world for 3 straight weeks.
-The athletes train for 4 years, or even more with the specific plan of peaking in late July. Not knowing when it is so close to the end really screws with that.
-It's run by the IOC, which makes the NHL look like the most altruistic group of Girl Scouts in the sports world. They'll do whatever it takes to maximize revenue.

Now I'm by no means optimistic about this season happening, but this does clear one obstacle. I think they're willing to alter next season in some way even if they have to compress the schedule. I think IF they get a 2020 Cup champion, they probably just jump right into the playoffs based on points percentage and say tough shit to the bubble teams that just miss out.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53 am

Yeah, but there's a difference with the Olympics, right?
-Fans come from every corner of the world for 3 straight weeks.
-The athletes train for 4 years, or even more with the specific plan of peaking in late July. Not knowing when it is so close to the end really screws with that.
-It's run by the IOC, which makes the NHL look like the most altruistic group of Girl Scouts in the sports world. They'll do whatever it takes to maximize revenue.

Now I'm by no means optimistic about this season happening, but this does clear one obstacle. I think they're willing to alter next season in some way even if they have to compress the schedule. I think IF they get a 2020 Cup champion, they probably just jump right into the playoffs based on points percentage and say tough shit to the bubble teams that just miss out.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I'm just saying if they are finishing the NHL season in that Olympic window, you're talking playoff hockey deep into August. We were worried about Stanley Cup fatigue when the team had months to rest. Imagine it just being weeks.

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:31 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 am
T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 amwhat do the summer olympics have to do with hockey?
If they played the playoffs during the Olympics the playoffs wouldn't be on TV.
NBC owns a huge family of channels. this is a very solvable "problem".
But maybe Dave is a cheap-ass like me, and wants any & all NHL playoff games to be shown on broadcast TV. :idea:

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am what do the summer olympics have to do with hockey?
They do. And during the Olympics every single one of those channels has Olympic events on them. There's no way NBC would air hockey on any of their national channels during the Olympics.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:49 pm

They do. And during the Olympics every single one of those channels has Olympic events on them. There's no way NBC would air hockey on any of their national channels during the Olympics.
so you contend that should this happen, NBC will decide to air shotput pre-quarter finals over NHL playoff games on, say, USA or MSNBC? i mean, have you seen the shit that shows up on their down-channel lineup during the olympics? they would move lesser events to free online viewing (like they have the last few times) and air NHL playoffs. no question.

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm

so you contend that should this happen, NBC will decide to air shotput pre-quarter finals over NHL playoff games on, say, USA or MSNBC? i mean, have you seen the shit that shows up on their down-channel lineup during the olympics? they would move lesser events to free online viewing (like they have the last few times) and air NHL playoffs. no question.
The Olympics were in Japan. Which means everything would be tape delay. Which means primetime stuff would be all of their feature events, not shotput. But I do enjoy that event.

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm

During primetime you're not getting shotput quarterfinals, you're getting gymnastics, swimming, big track & field, basketball etc. Besides the NHL doesn't want to be relegated to the crappy channels either. NHL can't touch the Olympics. This isn't my opinion, it's widely reported.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:56 pm70 games is a full season. If this had happened in October you might have an argument for a restart, but seed the playoffs and play.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/289 ... ssion=true
"I don't think we can just step into the playoffs and Game 1, it's Calgary coming to Edmonton, and guys are running around trying to kill each other that haven't played for two months. It'll end up the [AHL] Stockton Heat vs. the Bakersfield Condors if that's the case. We want to keep the guys healthy," (Connor McDavid) said.
I, for one, would pay to watch a Heat v Condors first round matchup for NHL dreams. Connor McDowner is becoming a whiner in the mold of Sidney the Kidney. Take some of your millions (Canadian), Connie Boy, build yourself a state of the art gym & practice rink (supporting the local trades industry along the way), hire yourself a freakin' personal trainer with a surgical mask & gloves, and get your sorry ass onto shape. You are paid a LOT to play the game you supposedly love. Now PLAY IT, or go get a job handing out disinfecting wipes at the front door of your nearby Real Canadian Superstore.

The NHL has not reached the point where it has ruled out finishing the regular season and staging the Stanley Cup Playoffs in full, after pausing the season March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"I think as time has gone on, we've recognized we might have a bigger window than we had originally thought with respect to the summer months and when we have to finish things to be ready for a full regular season next year," Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Friday.

The International Olympic Committee announced Tuesday the postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, opening TV time on NBC networks in July and August. The NHL has asked teams for arena availability through the end of August.

"I will say that it remains our hope, if not our goal, to be playing hockey sooner than then," Daly said. "Depending on how things play out, we'd love to be playing sometime in the spring, and then if we have to leak into early summer, we'd love to have that problem. But I don't think we're far enough along in understanding where this is going to know what's possible at this point in time. ...

"We think if we were required to, we might have the ability to play in August. If we have to fit games in, we'll find ways to fit games in."

The NHL has reached the end of the original two-week period it directed players to self-quarantine. The period now extends through at least April 4.

Three players have tested positive for the virus: two from the Ottawa Senators and one from the Colorado Avalanche. Daly said others have tested negative and others have test results pending. He declined to give specific numbers but said they were "very low, relatively speaking."

"We're getting a handle on the overall health of the NHL community, and I think by all accounts, we're relatively healthy, knock on wood," Daly said. "I think that bodes well as we kind of continue to navigate this and continue to hope for an opportunity to return to play."

Some players have expressed concerns about staying in shape while self-quarantining and starting immediately with the playoffs if the NHL cannot finish the regular season.

"There's going to be an adequate training camp with an ability to get back up to speed," Daly said. "In terms of the first meaningful game, I'm not in a position to say what that's going to look like, but we certainly understand the sentiment and the concerns about kind of jumping right back in."

The NHL announced Wednesday the postponements of the 2020 NHL Scouting Combine, scheduled for June 1-6 in Buffalo; the 2020 Bridgestone NHL Awards, scheduled for June 18 in Las Vegas; and the 2020 NHL Draft, scheduled for June 26-27 in Montreal.

NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr is sending a memo to teams covering policies and protocols for draft prospects. Teams will be permitted to conduct interviews and psychological tests, but remotely at this point.

"I don't think we can probably replicate a combine at this point in time," Daly said. "I think Central Scouting's going to do what they can to supplement and enhance the database and the information that clubs have with respect to draft prospects between now and whenever we have a draft."

The Deputy Commissioner said the NHL cannot make decisions on the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery or order until it knows if and how the season will resume. As for the draft, the preference is to stage a typical draft, but options include holding a streamlined event or conducting it electronically.

The Montreal Canadiens will host a draft at Bell Centre at some point, the Deputy Commissioner said.

"It's an unfortunate circumstance, obviously, but they've been fantastic partners in terms of making the decisions we needed to make on the timeline that we felt like we needed to make them," Daly said.

The NHL has not made a definitive decision not to stage an awards show, but the calendar is crowded.

"You have to prioritize what needs to get done with what can get done," Daly said. "If we can pull off an awards show that's worthy, we'd love to have one. Not understanding what the realities are yet and how big our window will be, I would say there are other things that are going to have to come before the awards show."

If the rest of the regular season is canceled, will the NHL still hand out awards?

"I have not even begun to consider it at this point in time, so I can't tell you one way or the other on that," Daly said. "I'll add that on the list of items that need to be decided."

If you're dying to watch some NHL content, this is a pretty interesting video. Its about all the trades and things that happened around the Chris Pronger Edmonton to Anaheim deal panned out. Also, apparently the Leafs were involved in trying to get Pronger from Edmonton, but refused to give up Alex Steen as a piece of the deal. Which makes the Leafs look all the more dumb for eventually trading Steen and Colaiacovo to us for Stempniak.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:25 pm If you're dying to watch some NHL content, this is a pretty interesting video. Its about all the trades and things that happened around the Chris Pronger Edmonton to Anaheim deal panned out. Also, apparently the Leafs were involved in trying to get Pronger from Edmonton, but refused to give up Alex Steen as a piece of the deal. Which makes the Leafs look all the more dumb for eventually trading Steen and Colaiacovo to us for Stempniak.

You got to be kidding me? I wonder if that was 2 different GM's for Toronto? Pronger literally carried Edmonton on his back in that first round upset of Detroit. I'm going on memory here, but I'm pretty sure it was Detroit he took out in the first round and he was a beast in that series.