Re: News and Games around the NHL

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am
Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:06 am

Already starting to happen. It might not be the league that decides to do it, but if coronavirus gets worse here I think it’s going to happen. We don’t want to be Italy, with some 600 cases jumping to over 10,000 in 10 days
My buddy in Santa Clara county was telling me how surprisingly quiet his neighborhood is for once. Most of the local tech firms (the largest employers in his neighborhood) have requested they mostly work from home.
Yeah, I work at a university in Kentucky and there's rumors around here that we're all going to be working from home soon. Faculty are starting to figure out ways to switch courses to be online. Apparently Ohio State cancelled courses the rest of the semester. Better to be proactive about this than to, like I alluded to, end up in an Italy situation, I suppose.
Good responses from those two universities you just mentioned.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Now is the time for the Blues to get a little separation. The Avs have a much tougher schedule over the next 2 weeks, and now are down their Hart Trophy candidate.
I’m prepared for Dallas in round one....actually I might prefer it.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Now is the time for the Blues to get a little separation. The Avs have a much tougher schedule over the next 2 weeks, and now are down their Hart Trophy candidate.
I’m prepared for Dallas in round one....actually I might prefer it.
It doesn't matter to me who we play but I agree with you. I think Dallas would be a good matchup.

BillP. wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:22 pm Minnesota and Calgary are the 2 preferred opponents in Rd 1. Anything else won't be easy.

Vancouver, Nashville, Edmonton, Vegas, Winnipeg and Dallas would all be tough. Especially Vegas. Don't want Vegas in rd 1.
The Wild are the one team I want to avoid in Round one.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:38 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:22 pm Minnesota and Calgary are the 2 preferred opponents in Rd 1. Anything else won't be easy.

Vancouver, Nashville, Edmonton, Vegas, Winnipeg and Dallas would all be tough. Especially Vegas. Don't want Vegas in rd 1.
If Dallas keeps playing the way they have been they might not be anybody's matchup in round one. I'd be absolutely shocked if Vegas fell to a wild card slot. I don't think Edmonton or Vancouver would be any trouble whatsoever. Those are 5 game matchups at worst.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:38 pm

They're playing some good hockey now, in fact I'm rooting for them. Fiala looks like he's turning into a heck of a player. That nutty GM won that trade - ha. Just seems though that the Blues got their number. But who knows, playoffs are different. They got 4 solid lines and an above average D. Minny still hanging in there.

I'm looking at some old NHL standings and I did not know or remember that for 2 years, the first 2 years the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky were in the league, that for the first 2 years they were in the same division as the St. Louis Blues - ha. And that includes the 80-81 season where the Blues challenged for 1st overall with the Islanders.

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm I'm looking at some old NHL standings and I did not know or remember that for 2 years, the first 2 years the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky were in the league, that for the first 2 years they were in the same division as the St. Louis Blues - ha. And that includes the 80-81 season where the Blues challenged for 1st overall with the Islanders.
Divisional alignment was virtually meaningless then. At the time, there were 21 teams in the league and you played every other team exactly 4 times a year, 2 at home and 2 on the road, regardless of division. And of the 21 teams, 16 made the playoffs and were ranked leaguewide 1-16 for seeding purposes.

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm I'm looking at some old NHL standings and I did not know or remember that for 2 years, the first 2 years the Edmonton Oilers and Wayne Gretzky were in the league, that for the first 2 years they were in the same division as the St. Louis Blues - ha. And that includes the 80-81 season where the Blues challenged for 1st overall with the Islanders.
Divisional alignment was virtually meaningless then. At the time, there were 21 teams in the league and you played every other team exactly 4 times a year, 2 at home and 2 on the road, regardless of division. And of the 21 teams, 16 made the playoffs and were ranked leaguewide 1-16 for seeding purposes.
It was kind of cool how you could end up playing someone from the other conference back then. But it never occurred to me about the schedule, makes sense with 20 other teams you would play everyone 4 times a year - ha