Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Maybe. NBA is reportedly already considering it.
The NBA can afford to do that
Tim would be good on an NHL debate. Just sayin................
Nah...the NHL loves to follow the NBA and we all know where Bettman came from. I just don’t see it. This virus is just a media driven scare tactic.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:56 pm
MattyIce wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:16 pm That would be so weird to watch a hockey game without fans in the stands.
I mean, how would our boys in blue score on the man advantage without the power play dance to motivate them??? :o
I don't know, I've seen broadcasts of Senators home games before.
Not to mention we all remember the 2005-06 Blues

"Suck a dick Johansen"

JMC-STL wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm
T.C. wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:49 pmit's still x-sensor crosses y-line and triggers a thing to happen. same tech.
Like I said, hold out for more money. There's at least one reason the NHL hasn't introduced your idea into game play. Maybe it's your team of lawyers.
for a while it was the fragility of the sensor. no way it could have taken the beating. but now, that's solvable. i assume the question is how do you ensure the re-sealed puck doesn't break apart? i don't know the answer to that one. i'm not a vulcanist.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:04 pm
MattyIce wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:16 pm That would be so weird to watch a hockey game without fans in the stands.
I mean, how would our boys in blue score on the man advantage without the power play dance to motivate them??? :o
I had season tickets! It was terrible. But I drank a lot so that helped? I guarantee I spent more on booze than I did on the tickets that year probably triple.

ratonmono wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:44 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:04 pm

I had season tickets! It was terrible. But I drank a lot so that helped? I guarantee I spent more on booze than I did on the tickets that year probably triple.
Thank you for your service.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:06 am

Already starting to happen. It might not be the league that decides to do it, but if coronavirus gets worse here I think it’s going to happen. We don’t want to be Italy, with some 600 cases jumping to over 10,000 in 10 days
My buddy in Santa Clara county was telling me how surprisingly quiet his neighborhood is for once. Most of the local tech firms (the largest employers in his neighborhood) have requested they mostly work from home.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:06 am

Already starting to happen. It might not be the league that decides to do it, but if coronavirus gets worse here I think it’s going to happen. We don’t want to be Italy, with some 600 cases jumping to over 10,000 in 10 days
My buddy in Santa Clara county was telling me how surprisingly quiet his neighborhood is for once. Most of the local tech firms (the largest employers in his neighborhood) have requested they mostly work from home.
Yeah, I work at a university in Kentucky and there's rumors around here that we're all going to be working from home soon. Faculty are starting to figure out ways to switch courses to be online. Apparently Ohio State cancelled courses the rest of the semester. Better to be proactive about this than to, like I alluded to, end up in an Italy situation, I suppose.

On the Freddie Coleman show last night, Freddie and his partner talked about the Coronavirus being overblown thru social media. Saying it's not this killer that everyone is making it out to be, that it's no different than a seasonal flu. Just passing on what was talked about on ESPN last night.

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 am On the Freddie Coleman show last night, Freddie and his partner talked about the Coronavirus being overblown thru social media. Saying it's not this killer that everyone is making it out to be, that it's no different than a seasonal flu. Just passing on what was talked about on ESPN last night.

I don't know how anyone can say it's not what others are making it out to be because no one really knows. No country is reporting accurate data, no one knows how many are affected, no one knows how many exactly have died from it, no one knows exactly how easily it is transmitted. With all of that, I don't think caution is the worst policy in that kind of situation.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 am On the Freddie Coleman show last night, Freddie and his partner talked about the Coronavirus being overblown thru social media. Saying it's not this killer that everyone is making it out to be, that it's no different than a seasonal flu. Just passing on what was talked about on ESPN last night.
I work in public heath (although substance use is what I study, not infectious disease), and I can say those folks are incorrect. I don't want to make this an overblown deal or lecture on the topic, but its different from flu for several reasons.

1. Its completely novel, which means only a tiny amount of people are immune to it. Whatever strain of the flu is going around, the population has a good amount of built in immunity to it because people have gotten that strain of the flu some point in the past, or people got vaccinated.
2. Because of 1), if you're exposed there is a much higher likelihood of infection than with the flu.
3. As of right now, the latest mortality estimates have it way higher than seasonal flu--seasonal flu ends up killing <1% of infected people most years, the estimates for COVID-19 I've seen are all between 2% and 4%. Yes, the people dying are old or immunocompromised, but its still (obviously) not great that its killing people.

Now, with that all said. Most people who get infected will be fine, but since its novel until a vaccine is developed it's going to infect a lot of people. We shouldn't be panicking, because the prevention strategies for this sort of thing are pretty simple--wash your hands more often, try to avoid touching your face, and avoid crowded areas as much as possible. But just the fact that its a novel virus means its worse than seasonal flu. All this stuff that workplaces and organizations in the US right now are doing will hopefully prevent us from ending up like Italy and having to totally shut down our entire country basically.

I've been dealing with the fallout from this virus for almost two months already. Cases here in Asia have been seriously mis-reported for a variety of reasons; cost of testing, politics, fear of starting a panic, you name it. South Korea's numbers are probably the most accurate. A place like Indonesia was so far behind the curve that they finally figured out they had cases just last week.

Unless you are connected to a government agency you cannot get a mask so instead of lining up with a bunch of sick people to try, you just don't bother. Some people thought they had an endless supply. They were wrong of course. There was a major run on hand sanitizer and alcohol at the beginning but that's fine now.

I've been sick twice and once damn sick which I'm still getting over. Most people I know have been sick or know somebody who is currently battling the "flu". Honestly, I feel that the measures governments are taking now are mostly window dressing to make up for a real lack of concrete information from the start (from China). The amount of cases here has been almost doubling every day this week of which they are really only testing high risk cases such as people who have been travelling or are very sick already. So as far as mild cases go, it could be a real large amount of people. Everywhere you go in public there are guards to take your temperature instead of checking you through security. It really is strange how priorities change.

We are currently at Alert Red sub-level 1 (whatever that means). If it goes to sub-level 2 they are considering locking down the whole NCR which would really suck because I'm less than two weeks away from going back home. I think travel is going to be a real bitch no matter what by that time.

But to get to my point, do not panic. Don't be stupid and go out and buy all the toilet paper you can because everybody else is. Keep your normal routine but be cautious and don't go to places you don't normally go to. Wash your hands a lot. Don't touch your face and try not to touch communal items like handrails, doors etc. too much and use hand sanitizer after doing so. I think the average person from North America is going to be a lot better off because we are countries of self medicators. We take pills for everything. They don't necessarily do that here.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:24 am
I work in public heath (although substance use is what I study, not infectious disease), and I can say those folks are incorrect. I don't want to make this an overblown deal or lecture on the topic, but its different from flu for several reasons.

1. Its completely novel, which means only a tiny amount of people are immune to it. Whatever strain of the flu is going around, the population has a good amount of built in immunity to it because people have gotten that strain of the flu some point in the past, or people got vaccinated.
2. Because of 1), if you're exposed there is a much higher likelihood of infection than with the flu.
3. As of right now, the latest mortality estimates have it way higher than seasonal flu--seasonal flu ends up killing <1% of infected people most years, the estimates for COVID-19 I've seen are all between 2% and 4%. Yes, the people dying are old or immunocompromised, but its still (obviously) not great that its killing people.

Now, with that all said. Most people who get infected will be fine, but since its novel until a vaccine is developed it's going to infect a lot of people. We shouldn't be panicking, because the prevention strategies for this sort of thing are pretty simple--wash your hands more often, try to avoid touching your face, and avoid crowded areas as much as possible. But just the fact that its a novel virus means its worse than seasonal flu. All this stuff that workplaces and organizations in the US right now are doing will hopefully prevent us from ending up like Italy and having to totally shut down our entire country basically.
This is all correct, IMO. Between full-scale toilet paper riots & complete dismissiveness like the STL family that broke quarantine, it seems so many people wanna be at one extreme or ther other. Just use common sense and good hygiene, & minimize physical contact. Be smart & vigilant, but don't lose control of yourself.

I was at the Blues game last night w/ my father & brother. We didn't touch handles or handrails. Didn't buy anything so no $ exchange or keypad touching. Washed our hands when we got there, & before we left. Had a small bottle of hand sanitizer for when we sat in our seats & in case we grabbed a handle or something outta habit. Piece of cake.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:48 pm I think it’s media driven agenda.
Curious what you mean by this as I don't watch any of the mainstream media channels like fox, cnn, msnbc... Like it's a fake news hoax?
It's really hard for me to wrap my head around people who say that something that is new, unknown, has no definite cure, and is a very real threat to the most vulnerable members of society & humans in general , is a media problem.

The problem is lazy people who practice poor hygiene, lack common sense, & who dismiss good information because it hasn't impacted them yet.

Curious what you mean by this as I don't watch any of the mainstream media channels like fox, cnn, msnbc... Like it's a fake news hoax?
No...I’m not saying it’s fake. Just feel like it’s something the media is using to spread fear. We’ve had shit like this before and none of those ever got the media coverage that this one is getting. I just question the timing.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:31 pm
No...I’m not saying it’s fake. Just feel like it’s something the media is using to spread fear. We’ve had shit like this before and none of those ever got the media coverage that this one is getting. I just question the timing.
Yep I am in agreement on that Tim. Especially the bold^^^
KA-KAW!