Re: News and Games around the NHL

T.C. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 amhaving a sensor inside the puck would enable them to instantly determine when a puck crossed a blue line or goal line. real-time stats would be a nice-to-have, but this to me is the primary reason they'd introduce something like that. easy to place something under the ice like an "invisible fence" for a dog, where you can immediately tell the puck crossed the line.
Sensing of that type would require accuracy in the millimeter range. I'd like to see evidence that any such sensing technology exists today. If you've got it, T.C., hold out for more money.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 am
T.C. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:09 amhaving a sensor inside the puck would enable them to instantly determine when a puck crossed a blue line or goal line. real-time stats would be a nice-to-have, but this to me is the primary reason they'd introduce something like that. easy to place something under the ice like an "invisible fence" for a dog, where you can immediately tell the puck crossed the line.
Sensing of that type would require accuracy in the millimeter range. I'd like to see evidence that any such sensing technology exists today. If you've got it, T.C., hold out for more money.
Once game in to the playoffs and every owner (in the playoffs) are going to be calling for the puck to go away. This could just be another fox trax gimmick.

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:41 am I believe Crosby is on record stating that the puck feels very different on the ice. This is the NHL though so nothing should be surprising
Really, I mean they claim they did extensive testing but how do you not ask for the opinion of the stars of the game like Crosby, McDavid, etc. I mean go to the source but it sounds like they didn't.

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am Anyone see Jani Hakanpaa made his NHL debut with Anaheim tonight? Fizzled out for us a longgg time ago but a 4th round pick of ours in 2010. He was like Lindbohm before Lindbohm in our prospect pool, he went back home but apparently has been playing in AHL San Diego all year.
Wow, that's a blast from the past. Good for him!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:10 am
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:03 am Anyone see Jani Hakanpaa made his NHL debut with Anaheim tonight? Fizzled out for us a longgg time ago but a 4th round pick of ours in 2010. He was like Lindbohm before Lindbohm in our prospect pool, he went back home but apparently has been playing in AHL San Diego all year.
Wow, that's a blast from the past. Good for him!
Doubly so because Lindbohm is a blast from the past too.

We're up to Mikkola now for our Euro D-man prospect.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 am The Red Wings are currently on pace to end up with 41-42 points. They're at 35 right now. They have the most difficult remaining schedule in the League. Do they get out of the 30s in their last 14 games?
No. They'll lose at minimum 11 games for sure. They play:
Tampa 3x
Washington 2x
Vegas
St. Louis
Philly
Boston
Toronto
Carolina

Could they beat FLA, CHI, or ARZ? Maybe. But my $ is they don't. I think they beat Chicago tonight, then lose in OT/SO to Arizona. That's it.
Their schedule would be a dogfight for the top teams in the league. For the worst team in years, it's gonna be a massacre.

Oh, & they'll lose the draft lottery too. :D

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 am The Red Wings are currently on pace to end up with 41-42 points. They're at 35 right now. They have the most difficult remaining schedule in the League. Do they get out of the 30s in their last 14 games?
That's ridiculous in today's parity driven, 3 point salary cap league. Easily one of the worst teams of all time.

At one point, Hakanpaa and Edmundson were the future for the Blues blueline.

I think they played together in Chicago for about a year and a half. If memory serves me correctly, both fought through some injuries - Edmundson persevered - Hakanpaa was sent down to the ECHL, and ended up heading back to Finland.

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:41 am I believe Crosby is on record stating that the puck feels very different on the ice. This is the NHL though so nothing should be surprising
From the reporting I've heard the league has already had the pucks in play for games this year and nobody complained about them. Could be psychological.

usmcaaron wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:15 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:56 am Guess he can kiss his NHL Radio job goodbye. I was wondering why Boomer was filling in for him yesterday

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/05/form ... nashville/
Since Buffalo News limits their articles, here's what it included:
https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/05/matthew- ... ville-bar/

That mugshot is....somethin else.
He's always been a bit of a loose cannon.