Re: News and Games around the NHL

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:25 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pmAbout 15 min. flight-time (or 2 hr drive-time) difference from STL to San Antonio, TX versus STL to Springfield, MA. I'd imagine if one were inclined to make the trip South, they'll be almost as likely to head East. ...
My mistake for not clarifying. I was comparing STL-to-Springfield travel to STL-to-Rosemont travel. But all things considered, I agree that a Blues-Thunderbirds affiliation is more promising than a forced re-engagement with the Wolves. What I believe we're seeing here is an NHL-AHL league offices brokered shuffle to avoid another disaster. I hope it all works out for whatever parties end up being involved.
Agree 100%.

More Stricky...

Blues could be part of a pretty big AHL shuffle this offseason, it seems.

usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 pmBlues could be part of a pretty big AHL shuffle this offseason, it seems.
Still won't compare to "The Great Westward Expansion" of 2015. That AHL realignment caused the ripples that have now washed over the Blues' affiliation 5 years later. This is what happens with multi-multi-millionaires & their pool toys. Stillman & Co. need to stay in the shallow end until they learn dog paddle.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 am
usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 pmBlues could be part of a pretty big AHL shuffle this offseason, it seems.
Still won't compare to "The Great Westward Expansion" of 2015. That AHL realignment caused the ripples that have now washed over the Blues' affiliation 5 years later. This is what happens with multi-multi-millionaires & their pool toys. Stillman & Co. need to stay in the shallow end until they learn dog paddle.
I would actually like to see the AHL become an independent league like the KHL and see the NHL buy the ECHL as its developmental league. Then the high end prospects in the ECHL could be lent out to AHL teams to get them the highest level of competition and have the kids in the ECHL work on their game and develop more. You would see NHL teams maybe hold onto prospects a bit longer to give them more time to see if they actually become NHL level.

Anyone hear about a new puck being introduced at the start of the playoffs? They asked Pierre McGuire about it yesterday and he didn't know any details on it, he just said he'd be concerned about the integrity of the puck and mentioned the puck having something implanted in it. So I guess they're doing it for stat tracking? Anyway, isn't it odd they are using it for the first time at the start of the playoffs? Pierre said if that puck starts bouncing differently, then he has a problem with it.

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 am Anyone hear about a new puck being introduced at the start of the playoffs? They asked Pierre McGuire about it yesterday and he didn't know any details on it, he just said he'd be concerned about the integrity of the puck and mentioned the puck having something implanted in it. So I guess they're doing it for stat tracking? Anyway, isn't it odd they are using it for the first time at the start of the playoffs? Pierre said if that puck starts bouncing differently, then he has a problem with it.
From what I heard they've done extensive testing including shooting the puck at the crossbar at 140mph to see if it reacts differently. Apparently there is no difference in bounce or feel.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 am
BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 am Anyone hear about a new puck being introduced at the start of the playoffs? They asked Pierre McGuire about it yesterday and he didn't know any details on it, he just said he'd be concerned about the integrity of the puck and mentioned the puck having something implanted in it. So I guess they're doing it for stat tracking? Anyway, isn't it odd they are using it for the first time at the start of the playoffs? Pierre said if that puck starts bouncing differently, then he has a problem with it.
From what I heard they've done extensive testing including shooting the puck at the crossbar at 140mph to see if it reacts differently. Apparently there is no difference in bounce or feel.
Gotta love Pierre M.

There's some good info here. I dunno how if feel about it, but they used it at the All Star game, so we'll see.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2 ... -playoffs/

I find this kinda interesting. I'd love to know what games, & if there were any oddities in those games, big or small.

usmcaaron wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am

There's some good info here. I dunno how if feel about it, but they used it at the All Star game, so we'll see.

I find this kinda interesting. I'd love to know what games, & if there were any oddities in those games, big or small.

Screenshot_20200305-084930_Samsung Internet.jpg
I'm excited for this. It would be awesome to see shot speeds live. I think hockey is ahead of the curve here and you could see other sports do this as well. Cool idea.
KA-KAW!

usmcaaron wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am

Screenshot_20200305-084930_Samsung Internet.jpg
Good find! And on Leafs Lunch yesterday they said it was going to be introduced for the 1st time in the playoffs. And Pierre M. just went along with it - ha

This fancy stat website loves the Flyers. In fact they give the Flyers the best odds to win the Cup this year. They were early adopters of the Blues turnaround last year too, so take that for what it's worth. I don't like much about Philly, but I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers.

...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:38 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 am
I would actually like to see the AHL become an independent league like the KHL and see the NHL buy the ECHL as its developmental league. Then the high end prospects in the ECHL could be lent out to AHL teams to get them the highest level of competition and have the kids in the ECHL work on their game and develop more. You would see NHL teams maybe hold onto prospects a bit longer to give them more time to see if they actually become NHL level.
Not gonna happen. Too much time & money invested by NHL owners over the years (especially since 1969 when Canadiens' GM Sam Pollock bought the AHL's Montreal Voyageurs) to establish an AHL development system that suits the purposes of most NHL teams - including that "highest level of competition" you mentioned. They could make your dream come true by simply switching the names "AHL" and "ECHL" above the League office doors. Most current ECHL owners would love to establish a stronger player development relationship with the NHL, but NOT at the expense of losing their independent ownership stakes. At a basic level, these three Leagues are separate businesses; and it would be best for all parties concerned to keep them that way.
Last edited by JMC-STL on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 am This fancy stat website loves the Flyers. In fact they give the Flyers the best odds to win the Cup this year. They were early adopters of the Blues turnaround last year too, so take that for what it's worth. I don't like much about Philly, but I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers.

Flyers / Blues would be a cool final. Lightning / Blues as well. Those would be my 2 preferences. The East is a tougher road IMO with Bruins/Caps/Lightning/Pens leading the way

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:58 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 am This fancy stat website loves the Flyers. In fact they give the Flyers the best odds to win the Cup this year. They were early adopters of the Blues turnaround last year too, so take that for what it's worth. I don't like much about Philly, but I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers.

Flyers / Blues would be a cool final. Lightning / Blues as well. Those would be my 2 preferences. The East is a tougher road IMO with Bruins/Caps/Lightning/Pens leading the way
Yeah a big part of those percentages is the route a team would have to take. That's why Vegas's odds are so high, they're easily the best team in the Pacific. These things don't mean a lot once the puck is dropped in April, but I still think they're fun to take a look at.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

having a sensor inside the puck would enable them to instantly determine when a puck crossed a blue line or goal line. real-time stats would be a nice-to-have, but this to me is the primary reason they'd introduce something like that. easy to place something under the ice like an "invisible fence" for a dog, where you can immediately tell the puck crossed the line.

Blues Players (NHL games needed to remain RFA):
Mackenzie MacEachern (3)
Andreas Borgman (32)

Mac mac will get there. Borgman has been decent in SA, from what I've read, so he might be re-signed.

One more name of note....
Jordan Schmaltz. He's only played 43 NHL gms in his career. That's awful for a #25 pick. I think he's lookin at some overseas time after this year.

Blues Players (NHL games needed to remain RFA):
Mackenzie MacEachern (3)
Andreas Borgman (32)

Mac mac will get there. Borgman has been decent in SA, from what I've read, so he might be re-signed.

One more name of note....
Jordan Schmaltz. He's only played 43 NHL gms in his career. That's awful for a #25 pick. I think he's lookin at some overseas time after this year.

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 pm That Overtime between Ducks and Avs last night is worth watching. Ryan Miller stood tall and the goal was on the games final rush with 10 seconds. The ironic thing about that OT, Rakell had a break in about 10 seconds in and then he has that last rush with about 10 seconds to go.
I watched the game Rakell started up ice from his own zone with like 6 seconds left and fired it in the top corner blocked side with 1.6 seconds left. It was an awesome shot.