Re: News and Games around the NHL

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm with the hat trick tonight, Ovechkin ties Mike Gartner and Jaromir Jagr for most consecutive 30-goal seasons (15)

love him or hate him, he is damn good
The guy is indestructible. Hopefully there is no strike, cause I think he will catch Gretzky and that is unthinkable, especially in today’s game, but I think he’s going to do it provided he stays an iron man.

BillP. wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pmwith the hat trick tonight, Ovechkin ties Mike Gartner and Jaromir Jagr for most consecutive 30-goal seasons (15)

The guy is indestructible. Hopefully there is no strike, cause I think he will catch Gretzky and that is unthinkable, especially in today’s game, but I think he’s going to do it provided he stays an iron man.
Gretz has already hired the hitman. He's just waiting for Ovie to get close, to stir some much-needed enthusiasm among a broad segment of NHL fans. 8-)

Ovechkin...great player , plays the game with passion...love everything about him. When he lifted the Cup in 2018, there was nobody I was more happier for than anybody else I’ve watched lift the cup in my life.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Ovechkin kicks ass. It's absolutely astounding how effective he still is from the dot on the power play. He's been doing it since his first day in the NHL and it still gets the job done. There are no hockey comparables to that one timer for me. The closest comp I can think of is Mariano Rivera's cutter. Everybody knew it was coming and they still couldn't hit it. It's unfair to Ovi to reduce him to just that play, but it's a huge part of his story. I love that he still throws his weight around and absolutely trucks guys from time to time too.

I'd love to see a legit chase of Gretzky's record. Even if he doesn't get there I think you probably have to say he's the best goal scorer in NHL history when you adjust for era.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 am Ovechkin...great player , plays the game with passion...love everything about him. When he lifted the Cup in 2018, there was nobody I was more happier for than anybody else I’ve watched lift the cup in my life.
Watching Ovie lift the Cup was pretty great. He might literally be the happiest guy to ever hoist it.

Watching Rod Brind’Amour accept the Cup ranks up there, too.

MissouriMook wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 pm This would put me on IR for 3 years minimum

Parayko had a similar play behind his own net in Calgary in his rookie year. It looked like he'd be done for the season and I think he missed about 4 shifts. Panger referred to him as "Gumby" later in the broadcast and my son and I have called him that ever since.
Oh to be 21 again

But to update, Hamilton's leg is in fact broken. No timetable for return.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:45 pm This would put me on IR for 3 years minimum

Parayko had a similar play behind his own net in Calgary in his rookie year. It looked like he'd be done for the season and I think he missed about 4 shifts. Panger referred to him as "Gumby" later in the broadcast and my son and I have called him that ever since.
Oh to be 21 again

But to update, Hamilton's leg is in fact broken. No timetable for return.
We have a gently used Justin Faulk we can offer them. Just send us that guy that plays lacrosse and we'll call it square.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm Even as a Pens fan I love Ovechkin. Dude has a real chance, slim but real chance of beating Gretzky's record.
Since you forced me to look into this

Ovie has averaged 46 goals per season for his career.

If he can keep that pace up, he would get to the record in 4 and a half seasons at age 38.

To even have a shot in this day and age is nothing short of amazing considering the other guy freaking scored 92 in one season.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:48 pm Even as a Pens fan I love Ovechkin. Dude has a real chance, slim but real chance of beating Gretzky's record.

If he can keep that pace up, he would get to the record in 4 and a half seasons at age 38.

To even have a shot in this day and age is nothing short of amazing considering the other guy freaking scored 92 in one season.
Absolutely. In fact had he not lost a whole season 05-06 and half of another to lockouts, the record would have fallen for sure. As it stands I think if he can play until he's 41ish he will get it. He's been remarkably healthy his whole career.

Ovechikin has faced far superior goaltending than Gretzky ever did.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Ovechikin has faced far superior goaltending than Gretzky ever did.
OV is hands down the best goal scorer in the NHL ever - there I said it.

He will break Gordie's record and be #2 without a doubt in my mind -barring injury-
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

BillP. wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm with the hat trick tonight, Ovechkin ties Mike Gartner and Jaromir Jagr for most consecutive 30-goal seasons (15)

Whether he catches #99 or not, Considering the difference in the way the game is played today, the bigger goalies and bigger goalie gear, Ovy is clearly the better goal scorer.