Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pm Look at that list. Wow.

What's crazier is he is only the second one this century to do it, with Sid having reached it in 2009. Before Sid, Lindros and Selanne in '97.

All other players did it in the high scoring '80's (except Trottier in '79). Just shows how hard it is to score the past 20+ years in this league, even with all the other superstar players we have now in the NHL.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:52 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Looking at that list, I’m a bit surprised Crosby is that high. Man, I took him for granted for a long time. Truly a generational player.
I also think people underestimate how truly great Lindros was. Damn concussions. Damn Darius Kasparitis.
The name that shocks me is Peter Stastny being 3rd on list only 7 games behind Lemieux.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pmLook at that list. Wow.

Looking at that list, I’m a bit surprised Crosby is that high. Man, I took him for granted for a long time. Truly a generational player.
Generational or not (I find that term overused in the NHL), Crosby started his point collection in 2005 when NHL scoring was at an 11-year high (3.08 goals per game per team). Over the next 3 seasons running up to the first month of 2009 when Sid hit the 400-point milestone, the League average was 2.88 goals per game per team. League scoring averages fell from there until 2017-18. So while Crosby was a hot scorer with the Pens during his early NHL career, he was also riding a wave shared by Thornton & Jagr & Lecavalier & Ovechkin & Malkin (to name a few).

BillP. wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:52 pm

I also think people underestimate how truly great Lindros was. Damn concussions. Damn Darius Kasparitis.
The name that shocks me is Peter Stastny being 3rd on list only 7 games behind Lemieux.
Papa Stastny kicked ass. He also defected from the Eastern Bloc and came to North America at age 24, so he was already in his prime when he started his NHL career. I can't imagine the balls it had to take to pull off a defection with his profile in 1980.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Papa Stastny kicked ass. He also defected from the Eastern Bloc and came to North America at age 24, so he was already in his prime when he started his NHL career. I can't imagine the balls it had to take to pull off a defection with his profile in 1980.
I remember when we started hearing about the Stastny’s back then. Pretty much everything we heard was via KMOX and Dan Kelly or if you got the rare Quebec game on TV. Our extended NHL coverage was limited for sure in the early 80’s. We had like a game of the week on USA and that was about it.
Peter Stastny was a helluva a player though
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 amPapa Stastny kicked ass. He also defected from the Eastern Bloc and came to North America at age 24, so he was already in his prime when he started his NHL career. I can't imagine the balls it had to take to pull off a defection with his profile in 1980.
TSN (and Vimeo) did the imagining for you ...

Thanks JMC, great video.

The Blues once traded for Bruce Bell out of Quebec. He had like 35, close to 40 points his rookie year. Blues thought they got themselves an offensive defenseman but it didn't turn out that way. He played decent while he was here but wasn't a point producer like his rookie year in Quebec. But it became clear how he got those points in Quebec when all he had to do was pass the puck to one of the Stastny brothers up ice. That was a great line.

BillP. wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm The Blues once traded for Bruce Bell out of Quebec. He had like 35, close to 40 points his rookie year. Blues thought they got themselves an offensive defenseman but it didn't turn out that way. He played decent while he was here but wasn't a point producer like his rookie year in Quebec. But it became clear how he got those points in Quebec when all he had to do was pass the puck to one of the Stastny brothers up ice. That was a great line.
Good old Bruce Bell....remember him well.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm

What's crazier is he is only the second one this century to do it, with Sid having reached it in 2009. Before Sid, Lindros and Selanne in '97.

All other players did it in the high scoring '80's (except Trottier in '79). Just shows how hard it is to score the past 20+ years in this league, even with all the other superstar players we have now in the NHL.
I never realized 306 games was such a benchmark.

Andrew Ladd placed on waivers today by the Islanders. He had been out with an injury, but just completed a 5 game conditioning stint in the AHL. To keep him in the minors any longer, they had to place him on waivers. He has 3 years left on his contract after this one with a $5.5m cap hit. Staying sane on July 1 might be Doug Armstrong's greatest strentgh.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 pm Couple Blues highlights in here in addition to other funny stuff from recent games...

That was awesome for a few reasons, but especially all the Blues highlights, and maybe it was just me, but it looked like the Wild were definitely on the wrong side of many of the 'weird goals' :) Sucks to be a MN fan right now! HA HA!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"