Re: News and Games around the NHL

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm Here’s full video...I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stretcher called for that fast

holy shit that is awful. that has to be the second scariest play i've ever seen in a hockey game. not joking, it looks like he's dead before he even hits the ice. hope he's actually ok, long-term.

T.C. wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 am

holy shit that is awful. that has to be the second scariest play i've ever seen in a hockey game. not joking, it looks like he's dead before he even hits the ice. hope he's actually ok, long-term.
Watching then Thrashers goalie Pavelec randomly collapse on the ice was probably the scariest one I saw. I remember thinking as I watched it live that I just saw a man die.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 amWatching then Thrashers goalie Pavelec randomly collapse on the ice was probably the scariest one I saw. I remember thinking as I watched it live that I just saw a man die.
Ondrej Pavalec's incident in 2010 was a neurocardiogenic syncope episode, which turns out to be a relatively common problem. His diagnosed form of "syncope" ("a transient loss of consciousness, with loss of posture (that is, falling)") is also referred to as vasovagal syncope. My elder brother had an episode on an airplane many years ago, but has never suffered one since. The worst part of Pavalec's incident was that he hit his head on the ice when he fell, and ended up with a concussion. I had a similar episode of syncope at home the weekend before Thanksgiving last year, but luckily I had enough control to sit down on a kitchen chair before I lost total consciousness. Scared the crap outta Mrs. JMC when she found me non-responsive. I woke up as she was talking to the 9-1-1 operator. Another story to tell at family holiday gatherings.

Meanwhile, last report I could find on the Sens' Scott Sabourin was he was due to be released from the hospital this past Sunday. He suffered a fractured nose when he fell to the ice. Looks grizzly, but happy. Sedation is a wonderful thing ...

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 amWatching then Thrashers goalie Pavelec randomly collapse on the ice was probably the scariest one I saw. I remember thinking as I watched it live that I just saw a man die.
Ondrej Pavalec's incident in 2010 was a neurocardiogenic syncope episode, which turns out to be a relatively common problem. His diagnosed form of "syncope" ("a transient loss of consciousness, with loss of posture (that is, falling)") is also referred to as vasovagal syncope. My elder brother had an episode on an airplane many years ago, but has never suffered one since. The worst part of Pavalec's incident was that he hit his head on the ice when he fell, and ended up with a concussion. I had a similar episode of syncope at home the weekend before Thanksgiving last year, but luckily I had enough control to sit down on a kitchen chair before I lost total consciousness. Scared the crap outta Mrs. JMC when she found me non-responsive. I woke up as she was talking to the 9-1-1 operator. Another story to tell at family holiday gatherings.

Similar thing happened to me. Was sitting on the couch when there was a knock at my door, I got up to answer it and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor by the door with the person knocking again. I didn't even process what had happened at the time, I thought I had dozed back off. The person asked "what was that noise?" and I was confused and didn't know what they were talking about. Turned out that noise was me crashing into the door. Wasn't until about 2 minutes later that I processed that I had woken up on the floor. Had a nice concussion from it as well.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 amSimilar thing happened to me. Was sitting on the couch when there was a knock at my door, I got up to answer it and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor by the door with the person knocking again. I didn't even process what had happened at the time, I thought I had dozed back off. The person asked "what was that noise?" and I was confused and didn't know what they were talking about. Turned out that noise was me crashing into the door. Wasn't until about 2 minutes later that I processed that I had woken up on the floor. Had a nice concussion from it as well.
"And that, my little darlings, is how Daddy became a serial hockey board poster."

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 amSimilar thing happened to me. Was sitting on the couch when there was a knock at my door, I got up to answer it and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor by the door with the person knocking again. I didn't even process what had happened at the time, I thought I had dozed back off. The person asked "what was that noise?" and I was confused and didn't know what they were talking about. Turned out that noise was me crashing into the door. Wasn't until about 2 minutes later that I processed that I had woken up on the floor. Had a nice concussion from it as well.
"And that, my little darlings, is how Daddy became a serial hockey board poster."
hahaha true.

Luckily, my symptoms only lasted about 3-4 days but they are no joke. I just felt like I was in a constant fog, couldn't focus, couldn't think(some say this hasn't worn off) just wanted to sleep. I can't imagine some of these players that have symptoms for months or Perron being out a year or so. That's miserable.

Good read and analysis from over at ESPN about some of the struggling 'contending teams' Sharks, Stars, Jets, Devils, Leafs:

Quick fixes for struggling NHL contenders

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/280 ... contenders

Some outtakes from the article:

Sharks:

(Coaching is an issue): "So how do the Sharks address that, then? Without the benefit of financial flexibility or even a 2020 first-round pick to go out and add a player via trade, the only path for improvement left for them is through internal adjustments to the personnel they already have."

Stars:

(coaching is an issue): "The coach himself isn't without blame, either. The Stars are playing at a snail's pace this season, currently the sixth-slowest team at 5-on-5 when using shot attempts generated for and against as a proxy. It's a recipe that worked for them last season when they could win 2-1 every game, but now that they need to jump-start their offense, opening things up would go a long way toward accomplishing it. With players like Miro Heiskanen, Klingberg, Hintz, Denis Gurianov, Alexander Radulov and Seguin, there's no reason the Stars should be as methodical and plodding as they've been."

Jets:

(Heavy turnover plus Byfuglien saga an issue): "Getting some sort of resolution to the ongoing Dustin Byfuglien saga would go a long way. Using the remaining $6 million they have in cap space to go out and trade for a defenseman would help, but they can't really afford to do so while his return is still in limbo. Even when they do know how to proceed, neither option is ideal, however. If Byfuglien does come back, it seems unrealistic to expect a 35-year-old who has missed as much time as he has to immediately step into the lineup and be the peak version of himself. If he doesn't come back, the options available via the trade market in the middle of the season aren't particularly inspiring."

Devils:

(goaltending and team D the biggest issue): "While Schneider's post All-Star break performance last season was encouraging, it's not too long ago that he'd gone over a full calendar year without a regular season victory to his name. Considering that his lower body is held together by duct tape after all of the injuries he's battled through, it's fair to wonder whether this is the end of the road for him."

Leafs:

(Injuries, goaltending, and team D): "Beyond just getting healthy, there are two obvious upgrades the Leafs could -- and arguably need to -- make at some point this season):

1. A reliable backup goalie to occasionally spell Andersen -- and not lose. Michael Hutchinson hasn't had an easy go of it having to face the Bruins, Capitals, and Canadiens the four times they've gone to him this season, but he has also yet to stop 90% of the shots in any of those starts.
2. Getting Morgan Rielly a new, non-Cody Ceci partner. Ceci is an easy target, but this early experiment of force feeding him top minutes alongside Rielly -- and hoping that a better environment around him will draw more out of him than he's shown to this point in his career -- isn't really working.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Looks like the East is going to be a wild race this year for a playoff berth.

Check out the teams currently out of a WC spot and these all promise to be good teams this year.
-- Florida
-- Montreal
-- Tampa Bay
-- Pittsburgh
-- Philadelphia

I don't think the WC race in the West will match the kind of race the East shapes up to be. JMO

BillP. wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 pm Looks like the East is going to be a wild race this year for a playoff berth.

Check out the teams currently out of a WC spot and these all promise to be good teams this year.
-- Florida
-- Montreal
-- Tampa Bay
-- Pittsburgh
-- Philadelphia

I don't think the WC race in the West will match the kind of race the East shapes up to be. JMO
I was hopeful for the flyers and panthers, but seriously shocked how bad the red wings are. They are who others thought they were. Just not enough raw or mature talent on that roster to get it done. To bad...but fuck the red wings anyway :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 pm Looks like the East is going to be a wild race this year for a playoff berth.

-- Florida
-- Montreal
-- Tampa Bay
-- Pittsburgh
-- Philadelphia

I was hopeful for the flyers and panthers, but seriously shocked how bad the red wings are. They are who others thought they were. Just not enough raw or mature talent on that roster to get it done. To bad...but fuck the red wings anyway :)
Hey Brad...guess which team is last in the league in goals scored per game ;)
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!