Idea For a New Points System

I know that the 3 on 3 OT and the shoot out aren't going anywhere and the tie isn't coming back. But I wish the loser point would go away.

If you are a hockey purest, you probably won't like this, but it's my idea, so you don't have to like it.

I want to this scoring system:

Regulation win - 3 points
OT win -2 points
SO win - 1 point

Winner gets points, loser gets what they've earned.

Your thoughts are welcome, just try to be somewhat nice, if you can.

Thanks.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Re: Idea For a New Points System

I'm having deja vu....i feel like we talk about this every year.

I agree 100% the loser point needs to disappear so then teams actually TRY to win close games instead of playing "not to lose".

But I do believe if the NHL changed like that, ken hitchcock would've never been a great coach (atleast his Blues stint)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

stlblues1226 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 pm I know that the 3 on 3 OT and the shoot out aren't going anywhere and the tie isn't coming back. But I wish the loser point would go away.

If you are a hockey purest, you probably won't like this, but it's my idea, so you don't have to like it.

I want to this scoring system:

Regulation win - 3 points
OT win -2 points
SO win - 1 point

Winner gets points, loser gets what they've earned.

Your thoughts are welcome, just try to be somewhat nice, if you can.

Thanks.

I like it. SO winner gets only 1 point and OT gets 2. Clever. But you know the NHL likes the tight standings and they wouldn't want to take teams out of the playoff picture.

I like it. SO winner gets only 1 point and OT gets 2. Clever. But you know the NHL likes the tight standings and they wouldn't want to take teams out of the playoff picture.
[/quote]

Agree with above. Even if not initially intended, the loser point is now less about rewarding the losing team as it is about keeping the standings tighter for longer from the league's perspective.

Cujo's Mask wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:54 am I like it. SO winner gets only 1 point and OT gets 2. Clever. But you know the NHL likes the tight standings and they wouldn't want to take teams out of the playoff picture.
Agree with above. Even if not initially intended, the loser point is now less about rewarding the losing team as it is about keeping the standings tighter for longer from the league's perspective.
[/quote]

The funny thing is the loser point doesn't actually make races more exciting, it makes them duller. It's impossible to make up ground unless you're the Blues of last year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!