Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Capitals - 10/2 7:00pm - TV: NBCSN - Radio:101.1

the blues lost on a night where they had some pre-game event and/or special festivities? wow, what are the odds?

spoiler alert: every time. have they ever won on a night they retired a number or raised a banner or similar? not that i can recall.

with that 2nd period, they worked hard to earn that loss.

was fantastic to watch the tempo of the game, especially being the first game of the season. brought me right back into hockey mode.

stoked on the season. going to be fun as hell. blais is on pace for 82 goals!

T.C. wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 am the blues lost on a night where they had some pre-game event and/or special festivities? wow, what are the odds?

spoiler alert: every time. have they ever won on a night they retired a number or raised a banner or similar? not that i can recall.

with that 2nd period, they worked hard to earn that loss.

was fantastic to watch the tempo of the game, especially being the first game of the season. brought me right back into hockey mode.

stoked on the season. going to be fun as hell. blais is on pace for 82 goals!
So is Pietrangelo! Whats the record for a defenceman? :lol:

I can't believe none of you have figured out the Blues' strategy for this season: NOBODY goes back-to-back in the NHL these days, so the team is tanking early to establish a firm position for the #1 pick in the June 2020 draft. They'll just toy with their opponents & their fans' emotions all season, keeping things close while avoiding key injuries (maybe sacrifice the occasional 4th liner to an overmatched fight to keep things lively during home games), and reap the ultimate reward on Draft Day. So don't panic - Armstrong & Berube are the smartest leadership pairing in the League.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:30 am I can't believe none of you have figured out the Blues' strategy for this season: NOBODY goes back-to-back in the NHL these days, so the team is tanking early to establish a firm position for the #1 pick in the June 2020 draft. They'll just toy with their opponents & their fans' emotions all season, keeping things close while avoiding key injuries (maybe sacrifice the occasional 4th liner to an overmatched fight to keep things lively during home games), and reap the ultimate reward on Draft Day. So don't panic - Armstrong & Berube are the smartest leadership pairing in the League.
The Penguins did in 15/16 and 16/17....but yeah. ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:27 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:30 amI can't believe none of you have figured out the Blues' strategy for this season: NOBODY goes back-to-back in the NHL these days, so the team is tanking early to establish a firm position for the #1 pick in the June 2020 draft. They'll just toy with their opponents & their fans' emotions all season, keeping things close while avoiding key injuries (maybe sacrifice the occasional 4th liner to an overmatched fight to keep things lively during home games), and reap the ultimate reward on Draft Day. So don't panic - Armstrong & Berube are the smartest leadership pairing in the League.
The Penguins did in 15/16 and 16/17....but yeah. ;)
That was a fix by the League offices, to reward Sid the Kid for saving the NHL in the early 2000s. If they had any true respect for Russians, they'd do the same for Ovie.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:37 am
BillP. wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 am Bo and Parayko lead the way with 24.30 min each.
Speaking of TOI, Fabbri with the least amount of ice time. Kostin is better.

But the guy with the least amount of ice time at even strength...Robert Thomas? I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't get to catch most of the game though.
Something to keep an eye on for sure. He had a couple of o-zone turnovers that were pretty foolish, low percentage plays that killed possessions. I imagine Berube wasn't thrilled with those.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:37 am
BillP. wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 am Bo and Parayko lead the way with 24.30 min each.
Speaking of TOI, Fabbri with the least amount of ice time. Kostin is better.

But the guy with the least amount of ice time at even strength...Robert Thomas? I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't get to catch most of the game though.
I think they are being careful with Thomas after his injury. He didn't get a lot of pre-season work in.

They were pumping Fabbri up on the radio feed last night. Never a good sign. 😛

BluesSK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am I’m probably alone but I just really hate the 3on3 OT....it becomes more silly every time I see it. It’s not hockey ....it’s a gimmick.
I can live with it but I think if a player voluntarily takes it out of the offensive zone to maintain possession they should get a delay of game penalty.
not alone, i also hate it and agree with you. SK, that's a great idea.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 amI’m probably alone but I just really hate the 3on3 OT....it becomes more silly every time I see it. It’s not hockey ....it’s a gimmick.
As soon as play resumes in the 4th period, my mind tells me: "Oh, look, another All-Star Game." That's when I switch to reruns of Mannix. Just as predictable, and I can always count on a car going over a cliff & bursting into flames to entertain me.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am I’m probably alone but I just really hate the 3on3 OT....it becomes more silly every time I see it. It’s not hockey ....it’s a gimmick.
It was cool and fun when nobody knew how to play it with structure. Now it's boring and lame. I remember watching the first regular season 3 on 3 OT a few years ago between Tampa and Philly. It was absolute mayhem. Chance after chance, up and down the ice. The game was won on a breakaway from Jason Garrison of all people. That was fun.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am OT should be decided by having the two coaches fight at center ice.
Brilliant idea. Blues would be the only team in hockey history to intentionally start scoring on their own net when they had a lead to allow Berube to knock the other team's coach out of the league for good.
Suddenly Sandy McCarthy will be coaching the Lightning.
Just a Russian propaganda account

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 pm The season is over.
Yup. Should've traded Petro and Schenn in the offseason before they started tanking their trade value tonight.
The odds on Blues fans having a total meltdown if they do not win another cup after ten regular season games....100%
That math checks out.

I still enjoy the 3 vs 3, and yes, I am easily entertained. However, the greatest game I ever attended live was decided on a 3 vs 3 OT GWG by Brayden Schenn last year in TB, so yes, I am biased and will always love 3 vs 3 OT from here on out :)

At least until I can see a Blues SC Playoff game win in person...then maybe I'll hate it too.

But seriously, we have had some awesome OT GWG just last season, by the Blues. You had the Parayko GWG vs Colorado, and the ROR GWG, also vs Colorado that were awesome plays. And last night, a tired and emotionally spend team vs a team who knew they just had to wait for their opportunity. I mean, it's not like every single regulation win, or loss, is always entertaining either folks. But it's extra hockey, and even if they did if 5 vs 5 or 4 vs 4, someone would dislike it as 'boring' or 'stale' or whatever. I'm just glad hockey is back!

TLDR: 3 on 3 OT is no different than regulation in that sometimes it is awesome, and sometimes it is great sleep aid.
"Do Only Good Everyday"