Re: Your playoff teams for the 2019-20 season

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:39 pm I was real close to having Vancouver as a wildcard but I still think they are a year away. The NHL is a better league when the Canucks are relevant. I will be watching a lot of their games this year for sure. Love their new alternate jersey as well.
I almost put them over Colorado, but they just seem to young in skill. I could see them making WC2 though if other teams have meltdowns. This is going to be a wide open season, there are very few teams who have like zero chance.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:46 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:39 pm I was real close to having Vancouver as a wildcard but I still think they are a year away. The NHL is a better league when the Canucks are relevant. I will be watching a lot of their games this year for sure. Love their new alternate jersey as well.
I almost put them over Colorado, but they just seem to young in skill. I could see them making WC2 though if other teams have meltdowns. This is going to be a wide open season, there are very few teams who have like zero chance.
Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles. That's the list for me. There are a number of teams that have almost no chance, but those are the 3 that might as well hit "autoplay season" on their PS4 or whatever the kids play these days.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:00 pm
Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles. That's the list for me. There are a number of teams that have almost no chance, but those are the 3 that might as well hit "autoplay season" on their PS4 or whatever the kids play these days.
I disagree on Detroit; they are going to score a lot of goals I think with that young core of theirs. I don't see them as a bottom 5 for sure, and I think they have a strong shot of making the WC in the East.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:29 pm

I disagree on Detroit; they are going to score a lot of goals I think with that young core of theirs. I don't see them as a bottom 5 for sure, and I think they have a strong shot of making the WC in the East.
I absolutely don't see the Wings finishing within 20 points of the playoffs. Who is going to be scoring all these goals? They finished with the 5th fewest goals in the league last year and added no one. They have exactly one competitive forward line, the worst D corps in the league, and a 35 year old starting goalie. I'd think it's much more likely their season point total is in the 60s than 90s.

Playoff teams for the 2019-20 season

Western Conference

Central Division
1 - St. Louis - Best defence, best forward depth, quality, consistent goaltending
2 - Dallas - Depth in talented young players who are now up in experience to perform a lot more consistently.
3 - Colorado - Another team whose young, mobile defence will be better, and whose young forwards will be better on a much more consistent basis.

Pacific Division
1 - Vegas - They'll have had another full year playing together, and have added Stone.
2 - Calgary - Only question is their goaltending holding up but they are loaded with young talent.
3 - San Jose - Good mix of veterans and young talent.

Wildcard teams
- Nashville - Still a lot of talent in place.
- Vancouver - Young talent will start gelling.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
1- Toronto - Too much talent to be held down, and it's almost all young and energetic.
2- Tampa - Roster almost same as last season. Lots of scoring talent. Good enough defence.
3 - Florida - Coach Q brings a lot to The Panthers. Maybe he can tie them together in a better system to take more advantage of their talent.

Metropolitan Division
1 - Washington - Still the creme of the crop in this division.
2 - NY Islanders - Trotz should get them in.
3 - Pittsburgh - Still enough.

Wildcard teams
New Jersey - I think the Devils have been improving enough over the past couple years to be in the fight for the wildcard.
Boston - Still enough firepower.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 pm

I absolutely don't see the Wings finishing within 20 points of the playoffs. Who is going to be scoring all these goals? They finished with the 5th fewest goals in the league last year and added no one. They have exactly one competitive forward line, the worst D corps in the league, and a 35 year old starting goalie. I'd think it's much more likely their season point total is in the 60s than 90s.
I know it's only two games, and I'm obviously biased/vested since I have Mantha and Bertuzzi on my fantasy team but yeah, about that 'where is the scoring going to come from' :)

"DETROIT (AP) -- Anthony Mantha scored his career-high fourth goal with 53.3 seconds left, lifting the Detroit Red Wings to a 4-3 victory over the Dallas Stars on Sunday night in their home opener.

Filip Hronek set up the goal with a centering pass after Dylan Larkin won a faceoff. Mantha also scored early in the third to put Detroit ahead and Roope Hintz pulled Dallas into a 3-all tie 33 seconds later with his second goal.

Jonathan Bernier stopped 19 shots to help the Red Wings improve to 2-0."

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-mantha ... --nhl.html

I doubt they are able to keep it up all year, but hey, stranger things have happened, which is why they are my sleeper team from the East.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:33 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 pm

I know it's only two games, and I'm obviously biased/vested since I have Mantha and Bertuzzi on my fantasy team but yeah, about that 'where is the scoring going to come from' :)

"DETROIT (AP) -- Anthony Mantha scored his career-high fourth goal with 53.3 seconds left, lifting the Detroit Red Wings to a 4-3 victory over the Dallas Stars on Sunday night in their home opener.

Filip Hronek set up the goal with a centering pass after Dylan Larkin won a faceoff. Mantha also scored early in the third to put Detroit ahead and Roope Hintz pulled Dallas into a 3-all tie 33 seconds later with his second goal.

Jonathan Bernier stopped 19 shots to help the Red Wings improve to 2-0."

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-mantha ... --nhl.html

I doubt they are able to keep it up all year, but hey, stranger things have happened, which is why they are my sleeper team from the East.
Haha, I actually logged on to feed myself some crow. The correct answer to my question of "who is going to score all of these goals?" is Anthony Mantha...all of them.