Hockey Logo Quilt

After noodling on the project for over a year, last December I commissioned Mrs. JMC to piece together 9 hockey team logos from my minor pro jersey sub-collection for the purposes of creating a display quilt for our new home. I chose jerseys from U.S.-based teams we had both seen play - 6 of the 9 on their home ice - but who have since either ceased operations or folded altogether or moved or changed team names (lots of history of such things in the minor pro game). The set represents four hockey leagues: AHL, ECHL, CHL (since absorbed by the E), and SPHL. This small portion of my collection was sacrificed for the greater good, though I did shed a wee tear for each of them as my wife did her cutting in a sequestered location. :cry:

The one-of-a-kind quilt was recently completed by the cooperative efforts of the quilter & the Mrs. - see photo below. Now I'm just waiting for delivery of some special wall-mount brackets, so we can hang the quilt curtain style from a wooden hockey stick that I bought for this purpose. It will be a good memory piece for us as our North American hockey journeys continue for a 9th season. :dancingbanana:

Re: Hockey Logo Quilt

Love the league patches surrounding the ice gator, nice touch :)

Makes me regret never buying a Jacksonville Barracudas jersey at any of their games I went too. I do have a River Otter jersey, but that was a gift, never went to one of their games. I think I'll be going more often to watch the Everblades this winter though. Much easier to travel with 7 year olds now :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:33 pm Love the league patches surrounding the ice gator, nice touch :) ...
That was all my wife's idea; she surprised me with that detail. Maybe she was just trying to make me feel better, after I realized she had thrown away a perfectly good fighting strap with the jersey scrap pile. :shock:
Last edited by JMC-STL on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robb_K wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 amI wouldn't mind just having a quilt with nothing but The Blue Note on it. Or, even one that alternates Blue Notes with The Jets' logo. THAT'd probably be unique!
Lots of Blues Stanley Cup and general STL Blues machine quilts have popped up for internet sales from the U.S. since June, Robb. Your Blues/WPG Jets suggestion would indeed be unique, but I'd be hesitant to leave such a quilt at home alone for fear of a bench-clearing brawl breaking out. 😉 For you or anyone else inspired to have a quilt similar to ours made, Mrs. JMC warns that you'll need someone experienced in sewing & quilting sports Jersey fabric (a unique skill set) which is very stretchy and will tend to bunch up in the stitching process. I certainly wouldn't dare ask her to make another one, after all the sweating & cursing she did while piecing the logo panels together. 🤬

I love seeing the Cutthroats logo on there! We went to a number of their games in their short 2-year stint here, and it was a great atmosphere. I just wore my Go Fish! t-shirt last night. I still have a puck and a few other things around too, but unfortunately never got a jersey.

big d note wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:11 amI love seeing the Cutthroats logo on there! We went to a number of their games in their short 2-year stint here, and it was a great atmosphere. I just wore my Go Fish! t-shirt last night. I still have a puck and a few other things around too, but unfortunately never got a jersey.
Central Hockey League action stoked the fire in my belly for minor pro hockey, so that league was a must for representation on my quilt (Denver & Bloomy).

I finally received the mounting brackets for the hockey stick-turned-curtain rod late last week, so I'm hoping to hang the quilt on our wall in the coming week or two. I'll post a couple more photos then of the finished installation.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm And the unveiling ..........................................................................................................................................................................

20190924_Hockey Logo Quilt On Wall 001.jpg
Did your Uncle Robb help you hang that?
ur1.jpg ur1.jpg Viewed 11768 times 37.53 KiB