Re: 2019 Offseason signings, trades, news thread

BluesSK wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:21 am Leafs now have three of the top 7 highest cap hits in the league. Nice having stars but I’m not sure how you build a top to bottom cup team with three guys making that kind of coin.
They won't.
Ten years form now people will be asking how the Leafs didn't win a Cup with Tavares, Marner and Matthews on the team at the same time. The answer is that you can have great players and still be a shitty team. The Hawks started losing when they paid big coin to Kane and Toews because they could no longer afford to surround them with good talent. The Leafs will be no different, except that they won't have won any Cups before putting themselves in the situation.

MissouriMook wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:07 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:21 am Leafs now have three of the top 7 highest cap hits in the league. Nice having stars but I’m not sure how you build a top to bottom cup team with three guys making that kind of coin.
They won't.
Ten years form now people will be asking how the Leafs didn't win a Cup with Tavares, Marner and Matthews on the team at the same time. The answer is that you can have great players and still be a shitty team. The Hawks started losing when they paid big coin to Kane and Toews because they could no longer afford to surround them with good talent. The Leafs will be no different, except that they won't have won any Cups before putting themselves in the situation.
Maybe next year when they raise the cap $15M. 😄

I love Spurgeon as a player....was very underrated for a long time. This is just the way it is with salaries right now and they are only going to go much higher. It won’t be long and the creme of the crop will be making $20mil per year. What’s crazy is I remember when the average salary for a very good player in the 80’s was like $350k
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:08 am Jets won't make playoffs IMO. There's always teams that don't make playoffs following year. This has to be one of them. It's going to be a Hellybuck season for them - ha
I think they are very much at risk of going that direction. D corp got a lot worse even without the potential Big Buff departure, they are still weak down the middle after Scheifele, and still haven't resolved the Laine/Connor contract drama. If Hellebuyck doesn't bounce back they're in major trouble.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:08 am Jets won't make playoffs IMO. There's always teams that don't make playoffs following year. This has to be one of them. It's going to be a Hellybuck season for them - ha
I agree. Their blueline has been decimated and minus Buff they're even worse. Plus no Connor or Laine yet, and even when Laine is in there the team seems to have dysfunctions related to him. I could see the Jets falling to last place this year.