Re: St. Louis Blues 2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!!

Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 pm It's already light here in northwest Denmark. But, unfortunately, it's still way too early to yell! :D I'll watch the celebration a while longer, make a few more posts, and then put a tuque over my eyes and sleep till noon. I work at home until Saturday, when I teach a storyboarding class. Luckily, I work mostly at home, so, I can watch ALL The Blues' game, most of which run from 2:00 AM to 4:40 or so.
Does it even get dark in northwest Denmark on June 13?

While I was a very strong proponent of 'we need a player who has won the Cup before on our team!'...turns out that last night the Blues made history as one of only 4 teams to do it in the 'modern NHL':

"They (are) also the fourth team in the modern era (since 1943-44) to win the Cup without a player who had previously won an NHL title on its roster, joining the 1974 Philadelphia Flyers, 1980 New York Islanders and 1989 Calgary Flames."

This just shows that a team believing in itself and who has a confident (and capable) goaltender can win it without the experience.

Never before have I been so happy to be wrong :)

https://www.nhl.com/news/key-nhl-statis ... =306221012
"Do Only Good Everyday"

T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am just me or was it kind of weird that steen hands it to thorburn before all the players that actually played? i'd like to know the story there.
No story...just giving their respect to a veteran that paid a lot of dues over the years. There were some stories about what a great guy he's been around the team during this run and he was always considered a great locker room guy. A lot of personal issues with his child as well. He may not have been on the ice but that doesn't mean he wasn't an important piece of the bigger picture here.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am
T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am just me or was it kind of weird that steen hands it to thorburn before all the players that actually played? i'd like to know the story there.
No story...just giving their respect to a veteran that paid a lot of dues over the years. There were some stories about what a great guy he's been around the team during this run and he was always considered a great locker room guy. A lot of personal issues with his child as well. He may not have been on the ice but that doesn't mean he wasn't an important piece of the bigger picture here.
that is the story. thanks.

I think they went by 'seniority' or age/games played, as Binnington didn't get it until like 13th or 14th I believe, right before Jake (who gave him a nudge...funny thing about the articles out there talking about this called Jake Allen 'Binnington's understudy' :lol:

"By The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) — Blues goalie Jordan Binnington was waiting patiently, as NHL rookies learn to do, while the Stanley Cup was passed from teammate to teammate across the recently conquered ice of the new Boston Garden.

Thirteen St. Louis players took their turn with the iconic trophy, raising it above their heads, lowering it for a kiss, posing for a picture.

Finally, understudy Jake Allen gave the starter a little shove, and the Game 7 star timidly skated forward to receive the Cup and cap off one of the great rookie runs in NHL history." https://wcti12.com/sports/content/june- ... -cup-title
"Do Only Good Everyday"

another cool factoid: "O'Reilly, acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Sabres on July 1, 2018, became the first skater in NHL history to win the Conn Smythe Trophy (first awarded in 1965) in his first season with a new team. He's also the third player, regardless of position, to do so, joining goalies Glenn Hall in 1968 (with St. Louis) and Bernie Parent in 1974 (with Philadelphia)."
"Do Only Good Everyday"