GDT Game 2: Blues @ Jets, 830p CT, FSMW (Fri Apr 12)

Blues wrote:4 keys to Game 2 at Winnipeg
Blues have a chance to bring a 2-0 series lead back to St. Louis

GAME 2: BLUES AT JETS

Watch: FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports App
Listen: KMOX 1120 AM, NHL App
Blues lead the best-of-7 series, 1-0

Here are four keys to Friday's Game 2:

1. Blues must stay disciplined
Blues Head Coach Craig Berube stressed the importance of staying out the penalty box before the series began, and the St. Louis Blues did a good job of that in Game 1. Tyler Bozak was whistled for cross-checking Winnipeg's Jack Roslovic late in the second period, but that's the only time the Jets' power play ever saw the ice.

Winnipeg had the fourth-best power play in the regular season, scoring 25.9 percent of the time, so if the Blues hope to take a 2-0 series lead, staying out of the penalty box will again be critical.

2. Jordan Binnington
Much was made about whether Jordan Binnington would be able to sustain his regular-season success under the pressure of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Although he now has just one game of playoff experience, Binnington's answer to that question seems to be a resounding "Yes, yes I can."

Binnington made 24 saves on 25 shots in Game 1 on Wednesday to earn a victory in Game 1 on Wednesday.

"Unreal," Tyler Bozak said of Binnington's performance after the game. "He's been a rock for us back there. He gives us a chance to win every night… He's been doing that down the stretch. It's awesome to have a guy like that back there, it gives us a lot of confidence."

3. A physical presence
The Jets came out hitting in Game 1, dishing out 36 hits over the game's 60 minutes. Defenseman Ben Chiarot led the way for Winnipeg with six.

"They were tight, they were physical. It was a hard game, as we expected," Berube said. "They're a physical, big team. There's not a lot of room out there and that's what we've got to expect every game."

As the contest went on, the Blues started hitting back. Brayden Schenn dished out seven hits to lead the Blues, who ended up with 21.

4. Weather the storm and raise the level
Winnipeg doesn't want to travel St. Louis trailing 2-0 in the best-of-7 series, so the Blues know they need to be ready to weather the storm early in Game 2.

The Jets had 25 home wins in the regular season - second best in the Western Conference and fourth overall in the League.

"It'd be nice to go up 2-0, but we're going to expect a good effort," Blues captain Alex Pietrangelo said. "It was big getting that first one, especially on the road. We've got to expect an even better effort from them. They're good at home, they're going to use that energy again."

Re: GDT Game 2: Blues @ Jets, 830p CT, FSMW (Fri Apr 12)

insideout wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:33 am What is there to debate about how the Blues should respond to the way the Jets play? I thought they handled it perfectly in Game 1. Jets aren't going to be intimidated if the Blues bring this guy or that guy in to set the tone. If anything, a change in personnel would indicate to the Jets that they're in the Blues' heads.
Our coach is the most intimidating person on both teams. I thought the Blues handled it well too.

insideout wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:33 am What is there to debate about how the Blues should respond to the way the Jets play? I thought they handled it perfectly in Game 1. Jets aren't going to be intimidated if the Blues bring this guy or that guy in to set the tone. If anything, a change in personnel would indicate to the Jets that they're in the Blues' heads.
I was just thinking we have a 'throwaway player' in Nolan who can make a sweet dirty hit on Laine or Hellybucky and send a message that way. And if Nolan got suspended or whatever, no big deal.

But yeah, the Blues weathered the storm pretty good in game 1. Question is will Jets adjust and not be as aggressive with hitting, or will the Blues not handle the pressure as well in game 2?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I'd be surprised if the Jets don't come out with a bigger effort tonight. They should be desperate. If Blues are up to challenge, could be a dynamic game to watch tonight.

There's two ways to look at game 1. The Jets were the better team for the majority of it and yet still lost. You'll be hard pressed to only give up 1 goal against to them going forward if they are controlling 2/3rds of the game.

Or

The Blues were outplayed for the majority of it and still got the win. You can't expect to Blues to be outplayed for 2/3rds of the game going forward so they already stole their worst game of the series.

If it's option 1, the Blues will need to adjust.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 am
I'd be surprised if the Jets don't come out with a bigger effort tonight. They should be desperate. If Blues are up to challenge, could be a dynamic game to watch tonight.
Agree. Hard to imagine the Jets going down 2-0. If the Blues are to somehow get out of Winnipeg with two wins, they'll certainly have to earn it.

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 am
I was just thinking we have a 'throwaway player' in Nolan who can make a sweet dirty hit on Laine or Hellybucky and send a message that way. And if Nolan got suspended or whatever, no big deal.

But yeah, the Blues weathered the storm pretty good in game 1. Question is will Jets adjust and not be as aggressive with hitting, or will the Blues not handle the pressure as well in game 2?
All due respect Brad, but I just think that's an absolutely terrible idea. Yeah, you can withstand losing Nolan for the series, but in that specific game you want 12 players up front that can actually contribute. Plus the last thing I want to do is go firing up the Jets and give them a galvanizing moment that pulls them together. I agree with insideout that the Blues handled things absolutely perfectly in game 1. They took the shots, but also stood up for themselves where and when needed. The Jets were clearly the frustrated team, so no need to stray from the strategy. Sure Sanford didn't give you much, but I still think he's the best healthy option on that 4th line at the moment. I don't think Blais has fully recovered from injury, and Fabbri still isn't Fabbri.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Should be a super tight series. I'm not very interested in killing off a 5 minute PP to try and send a message. If you want to send a message, beat them on the scoreboard and send their big tough asses home to be badasses on the golf course. Have Erik Johnson drive Laine's cart.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 am

All due respect Brad, but I just think that's an absolutely terrible idea. Yeah, you can withstand losing Nolan for the series, but in that specific game you want 12 players up front that can actually contribute. Plus the last thing I want to do is go firing up the Jets and give them a galvanizing moment that pulls them together. I agree with insideout that the Blues handled things absolutely perfectly in game 1. They took the shots, but also stood up for themselves where and when needed. The Jets were clearly the frustrated team, so no need to stray from the strategy. Sure Sanford didn't give you much, but I still think he's the best healthy option on that 4th line at the moment. I don't think Blais has fully recovered from injury, and Fabbri still isn't Fabbri.
fine, fuck you fucking assholes then if you don't like my idea. :evil: Don't make me go Berube on you all! 8-)

:twisted: JK, I get that, and as I typed it i was thinking exactly the same thing you wrote, so thanks for that. This is why you don't type BC (before coffee)...probably also explains why I forgot to get the phone number of a customer that called in this morning for service work. Fortunately I found a number for her as she was a previous customer....I'll be back after a trip to DD.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 am

fine, fuck you fucking assholes then if you don't like my idea. :evil: Don't make me go Berube on you all! 8-)

:twisted: JK, I get that, and as I typed it i was thinking exactly the same thing you wrote, so thanks for that. This is why you don't type BC (before coffee)...probably also explains why I forgot to get the phone number of a customer that called in this morning for service work. Fortunately I found a number for her as she was a previous customer....I'll be back after a trip to DD.
Me not liking an idea is probably the best endorsement any idea can possibly get.

Yeah, retribution stuff is great and all but its just going to take the Blues out of their game. Blues need to play their game--they're good enough to beat literally ANYONE in this league when they play this game. We've seen them handle Tampa twice playing the way they need to play. We don't need to try and out physically play the Jets.

Don't we remember how frustrating it was to watch Army say "we need to be more like the Kings" after they won the cup, and then say "we need to be more like the Hawks, fast," after they won? The Blues have an identity now and when they're playing that style they're a damn good team. Just keep doing more of that, please

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 am Yeah, retribution stuff is great and all but its just going to take the Blues out of their game. Blues need to play their game--they're good enough to beat literally ANYONE in this league when they play this game. We've seen them handle Tampa twice playing the way they need to play. We don't need to try and out physically play the Jets.

Don't we remember how frustrating it was to watch Army say "we need to be more like the Kings" after they won the cup, and then say "we need to be more like the Hawks, fast," after they won? The Blues have an identity now and when they're playing that style they're a damn good team. Just keep doing more of that, please

Great and forgotten point. The Blues have always been the team chasing to be like someone else, which clearly never worked. The Blues need to be the team others strive to model after.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:02 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 am Yeah, retribution stuff is great and all but its just going to take the Blues out of their game. Blues need to play their game--they're good enough to beat literally ANYONE in this league when they play this game. We've seen them handle Tampa twice playing the way they need to play. We don't need to try and out physically play the Jets.

Great and forgotten point. The Blues have always been the team chasing to be like someone else, which clearly never worked. The Blues need to be the team others strive to model after.
Personally, I've always been a proponent of the "get a bunch of good players" model. Glad to see they finally took that approach this summer.

Yep.
The Blues don't need to change anything tonight. The Blues are a possession team now. You control the puck. Then you control the game.

Looking at tonight I think this game smells of overtime. This is a must win for the Jets as you cannot lose two games at home and expect to win the series. I expect desperation hockey from them tonight. If the Blues can weather the early storm, then this will probably go to OT. Who knows after that?