Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

BillP. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:22 pm Enjoy the doghouse

Ouch.
Yeah, I don't see him playing much in the playoffs. Kyrou isn't a fit here unless he toughens up or starts scoring a prolific pace. If you're on the soft side you better score. He'd be perfect for Toronto.
They've given him a shot but he sure hasn't taken advantage of it. It will be interesting how this plays out but I'm not hopeful.

Saw this coming... Kyrou has shown zero interest in puck battles, checking, skating hard on defense, etc. I hate to think all that raw talent is going to be wasted, but right now, he looks like Fabbri #2. If Doug is looking to make a deal, Kyrou is probably the guy.
That comment from Chief sounds like his patience is about at an end.

barnburner wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm Saw this coming... Kyrou has shown zero interest in puck battles, checking, skating hard on defense, etc. I hate to think all that raw talent is going to be wasted, but right now, he looks like Fabbri #2. If Doug is looking to make a deal, Kyrou is probably the guy.
It's a shame he cannot take a queue from Thomas. I'm not sure he is trade bait, only because of the public bashing (right fully so). This might be a way to get him to pull his head out of his rear.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 pm
barnburner wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm Saw this coming... Kyrou has shown zero interest in puck battles, checking, skating hard on defense, etc. I hate to think all that raw talent is going to be wasted, but right now, he looks like Fabbri #2. If Doug is looking to make a deal, Kyrou is probably the guy.
It's a shame he cannot take a queue from Thomas. I'm not sure he is trade bait, only because of the public bashing (right fully so). This might be a way to get him to pull his head out of his rear.
You never know, but Berube is a pretty direct guy. He's talked to Kyrou on several occasions about what's expected of him, and the kid continues to ignore his responsibilities. Armstrong told the kid he could get a place to stay, and instead of responding with a greater effort to show his appreciation, Kyrou seemed to take it as a sign that he had it made. My take on Chief is he will do his best to be loyal to the guys who bust their tail for him. My guess is Kyrou might get one more try to show that he's with the program, then Berube will present him with a permanent seat in the pressbox until Army can discard him one way or another.
No free rides. Earn your way as a member of the team, or hit the road.

Thomas is a special kid. Too bad more weren't like him.

barnburner wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:12 pm
You never know, but Berube is a pretty direct guy. He's talked to Kyrou on several occasions about what's expected of him, and the kid continues to ignore his responsibilities. Armstrong told the kid he could get a place to stay, and instead of responding with a greater effort to show his appreciation, Kyrou seemed to take it as a sign that he had it made. My take on Chief is he will do his best to be loyal to the guys who bust their tail for him. My guess is Kyrou might get one more try to show that he's with the program, then Berube will present him with a permanent seat in the pressbox until Army can discard him one way or another.
No free rides. Earn your way as a member of the team, or hit the road.
Rightfully so.

MattyIce wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am What do you guys think the lines will be like when Tarasenko comes back? BillP and I were just trying to figure it out, but there is a log jam of forwards. We were just guessing that Blais would be the one that sits, especially if Kyrou keeps scoring.
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sanford-ROR-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak
Blais-Sundqvist-Barbashev

I bet they end up going something like this. Unfortunately for Kyrou, he's a RW...and so is Tarasenko. Unless they bump Blais off the 4th line and Barbashev to the left of the 4th line, but I don't think Kyrou is suited to a 4th line roll in the playoffs.

I said before that I didn't even notice Bozak being out the last few games, and while he's a good player and all with how Thomas has taken over at C and we have Kyrou coming in as an up and coming RW I really don't see a spot for him next year. I think there's a good chance he's dumped to make space for Petro. But for the postseason he's for sure going to be in there over Kyrou.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:34 am
MattyIce wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am What do you guys think the lines will be like when Tarasenko comes back? BillP and I were just trying to figure it out, but there is a log jam of forwards. We were just guessing that Blais would be the one that sits, especially if Kyrou keeps scoring.
Sanford-ROR-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak

I bet they end up going something like this. Unfortunately for Kyrou, he's a RW...and so is Tarasenko. Unless they bump Blais off the 4th line and Barbashev to the left of the 4th line, but I don't think Kyrou is suited to a 4th line roll in the playoffs.

I said before that I didn't even notice Bozak being out the last few games, and while he's a good player and all with how Thomas has taken over at C and we have Kyrou coming in as an up and coming RW I really don't see a spot for him next year. I think there's a good chance he's dumped to make space for Petro. But for the postseason he's for sure going to be in there over Kyrou.
Yeah, I was just telling Matt earlier that RW use to be the shortage but now it seems like LW is. I still like Steen better on the 4th line. I think Blais and Kyrou will battle it out for a spot in that lineup. With DLR and Mac as emergency subs. Sanford looks like he's won himself a permanent spot in the top 6,

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak

I wonder what happens if Thomas keeps producing as the 2C. Do they keep ROR with Schenn/Schwartz and move Perron to Thomas's LW to make room for Tarasenko? I think between now and the time Tarasenko comes back there are a lot of variables. Maybe they put Thomas at 3C but start Tarasenko there. I actually kind of prefer they load up the top 6 with the 6 best forwards and figure out the bottom. Here's what I'd do:

Schartz-ROR-Schenn
Perron-Thomas-Tarasenko
Blais/Sanford-Bozak-Kyrou
Steen-Sunny-Barbashev

Just put Bozak with whichever 2 of Blais/Sanford/Kyrou are playing the best. Steen has played well of late, but give me that monster playoff 4th line from last year again. All of this is unnecessary since 2 of these guys will probably be hurt by the time Tarasenko comes back.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:35 am
Sanford-ROR-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak

I wonder what happens if Thomas keeps producing as the 2C. Do they keep ROR with Schenn/Schwartz and move Perron to Thomas's LW to make room for Tarasenko? I think between now and the time Tarasenko comes back there are a lot of variables. Maybe they put Thomas at 3C but start Tarasenko there. I actually kind of prefer they load up the top 6 with the 6 best forwards and figure out the bottom. Here's what I'd do:

Schartz-ROR-Schenn
Perron-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Sunny-Barbashev

Just put Bozak with whichever 2 of Blais/Sanford/Kyrou are playing the best. Steen has played well of late, but give me that monster playoff 4th line from last year again. All of this is unnecessary since 2 of these guys will probably be hurt by the time Tarasenko comes back.

I like your lines a lot with Thomas as the 2nd line Center with Tarasenko. Thomas might just be the guy to put Tank in 40 goal country with the way he looks to pass. I'm just assuming they won't do this - ha..................But your lines rock

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:35 am

Sanford-ROR-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak

Schartz-ROR-Schenn
Perron-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Sunny-Barbashev

I like your lines a lot with Thomas as the 2nd line Center with Tarasenko. Thomas might just be the guy to put Tank in 40 goal country with the way he looks to pass. I'm just assuming they won't do this - ha..................But your lines rock
I'll make sure to let Berube know. On a second look I'm not sure that second line would have the defensive chops to earn Berube's confidence in the playoffs, but whatever.

Some stats:
Thomas is on pace to finish with about 51 points this year averaging only 14:25 a game. And he's only 20. That is super impressive. Among forwards in his draft year, it looks like the only forward he isn't outscoring is Elias Pettersson. He's outscoring guys like Hischier (#1 overall) and Glass (#6 overall), while contributing at a similar pace to guys like Nick Suzuki (#13 overall) and Martin Necas (#12 overall). Long story short, what Thomas is doing at this age is extremely impressive especially considering where he was drafted, and the Blues deserve a ton of credit for taking him after a bunch of teams passed. In a re-draft he'd likely go top 5. They need to figure out a way for him to get consistent top-6 minutes next year.

Sanford, meanwhile, in an 82 game season (which he won't get to because of being rightfully scratched a bunch earlier) would be on pace for around 24 goals and 46 points. Who would have thought?

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am Some stats:
Thomas is on pace to finish with about 51 points this year averaging only 14:25 a game. And he's only 20. That is super impressive. Among forwards in his draft year, it looks like the only forward he isn't outscoring is Elias Pettersson. He's outscoring guys like Hischier (#1 overall) and Glass (#6 overall), while contributing at a similar pace to guys like Nick Suzuki (#13 overall) and Martin Necas (#12 overall). Long story short, what Thomas is doing at this age is extremely impressive especially considering where he was drafted, and the Blues deserve a ton of credit for taking him after a bunch of teams passed. In a re-draft he'd likely go top 5. They need to figure out a way for him to get consistent top-6 minutes next year.

Sanford, meanwhile, in an 82 game season (which he won't get to because of being rightfully scratched a bunch earlier) would be on pace for around 24 goals and 46 points. Who would have thought?
Thomas would easily go top 10 in a redraft, but I'm wondering if he goes top 5. Pettersson and Makar are the only guys you take ahead of him without a second thought. Sanford probably played his best game in the NHL last night. Hope he's taken the leap, rather than just hit on a hot streak.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 am If the season is over, which I believe it is, since no teams made the playoffs, every team should have odds of getting the #1 pick.
That is a very good point. Even if they are able to figure out a way to get a couple of rounds of playoffs in, anyone who gets left out should be in the lottery. They'll need to run some scenarios on how to modify the odds, and it kind of sucks for Ottawa given that they were likely to get two big bites at the apple and their odds could be diminished, but I don't see how they CAN'T give a team that didn't make the playoffs at least a microscopic chance at the #1 pick since that has been the cutoff for the lottery for so long.

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 am If the season is over, which I believe it is, since no teams made the playoffs, every team should have odds of getting the #1 pick.
It's never over till its over. That's what Yogi said and he's right!
I thought it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :D
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!