Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

We had a bit of a fancy stats chat yesterday, so I thought I'd throw this chart on here:
[media][/media]
Somehow the Blues have made the "Dullest" brand of hockey from a scoring chance perspective incredibly fun to watch. It could be the hitting, it could be Binnington making at least one highlight reel save every night, or it could be that shiny trophy and my blue tinted glasses. I wouldn't mind them creating a few more chances of their own each night, but I've enjoyed seeing them squeeze the life out of the other guys every night.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am We had a bit of a fancy stats chat yesterday, so I thought I'd throw this chart on here:
[media]Blues Pace.png[/media]
Somehow the Blues have made the "Dullest" brand of hockey from a scoring chance perspective incredibly fun to watch. It could be the hitting, it could be Binnington making at least one highlight reel save every night, or it could be that shiny trophy and my blue tinted glasses. I wouldn't mind them creating a few more chances of their own each night, but I've enjoyed seeing them squeeze the life out of the other guys every night.
Interesting stuff! I bet that if you asked LA, OTT, and TOR fans, they would disagree that their teams are "fun" right now :lol:
I love the old school hockey that the Blues play. The entire league is trying to go with speed and finesse, and the Blues just grind out wins with physicality, timely scoring, defense, and top-notch goaltending. It's beautiful.

One a side but related note, I wish an MLB team would do something similar. I would love to see a baseball team go with straight speed instead of all of this power crap. Get on base, steal, hit-and-run, bunt... play situational baseball and make the game interesting again.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am We had a bit of a fancy stats chat yesterday, so I thought I'd throw this chart on here:
Interesting stuff! I bet that if you asked LA, OTT, and TOR fans, they would disagree that their teams are "fun" right now :lol:
I love the old school hockey that the Blues play. The entire league is trying to go with speed and finesse, and the Blues just grind out wins with physicality, timely scoring, defense, and top-notch goaltending. It's beautiful.

One a side but related note, I wish an MLB team would do something similar. I would love to see a baseball team go with straight speed instead of all of this power crap. Get on base, steal, hit-and-run, bunt... play situational baseball and make the game interesting again.
Whitey Herzog is that you?
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Whitey Herzog is that you?
:lol: :lol:
KA-KAW!

That Thomas kid sure is gettin' fun to watch.

I think you just have to have an identity and make sure everyone is on the same page these days, that's why the Leafs are a mess this year. Also a good goalie helps.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:38 pm What the hell does Berube know anyway? Getting tired of him.

yep, he wouldn't know winning hockey if it highsticked him in the face

:)

Wonder if that is the public 'we need more from you or you are being sent back down or being benched soon' message. I hope he stays up for a few more games, or best case until Steen gets back, but he does need more time. He hasn't looked fast enough in his decision making for the NHL to me. You can see the skill, but he needs either top 6 minutes, patience to grow on the 4th line, or back to the AHL with knowledge and a chance to dominate.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Well said Matty! You counter what other teams are doing, you don't copy your competition. To the credit of Doug Armstrong, he basically stayed the course with his team, his players and consequently the style of play. The rest of the league copied each other and the Blues are feeding off of it now, thanks in large part to Berube and Binnington coming on board and gluing this team together and giving it the swagger it has now.

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:38 pm What the hell does Berube know anyway? Getting tired of him.

yep, he wouldn't know winning hockey if it highsticked him in the face

:)

Wonder if that is the public 'we need more from you or you are being sent back down or being benched soon' message. I hope he stays up for a few more games, or best case until Steen gets back, but he does need more time. He hasn't looked fast enough in his decision making for the NHL to me. You can see the skill, but he needs either top 6 minutes, patience to grow on the 4th line, or back to the AHL with knowledge and a chance to dominate.
I think Kostin has been pretty good, given the limited ice time. I think this Berube just being a straight shooter and giving an honest answer. I’m guessing he has told Kostin the exact same thing and not in a negative way.

You just had that not long ago on the west side of Missouri.

Right now, is there a better organization in the NHL than the St. Louis Blues? In the last 5 years, we have had a Winter Classic, an All-Star Game, a complete stadium renovation, a Western Conf Finals appearance, a Stanley Cup, and the rumor is that they will be involved in the Winter Classic next year as well. Not only is this team a powerhouse again this season, but they look to be set up to compete for the foreseeable future as well. The are great days to be a Blues fan.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:24 am Right now, is there a better organization in the NHL than the St. Louis Blues? In the last 5 years, we have had a Winter Classic, an All-Star Game, a complete stadium renovation, a Western Conf Finals appearance, a Stanley Cup, and the rumor is that they will be involved in the Winter Classic next year as well. Not only is this team a powerhouse again this season, but they look to be set up to compete for the foreseeable future as well. The are great days to be a Blues fan.
Stillman, Zimmerman, and Co have done a great job getting events (WC, All Star Game) which are surely money makers for the franchise too. The organization is really firing on all cylinders. From top down there seems to be competent owners, management, coaches, and players.

MattyIce wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:24 am Right now, is there a better organization in the NHL than the St. Louis Blues? In the last 5 years, we have had a Winter Classic, an All-Star Game, a complete stadium renovation, a Western Conf Finals appearance, a Stanley Cup, and the rumor is that they will be involved in the Winter Classic next year as well. Not only is this team a powerhouse again this season, but they look to be set up to compete for the foreseeable future as well. The are great days to be a Blues fan.
No, there isn't a better ran organization than the Blues. To be this good this long and to be achieving their greatest success at the tail end of their run is amazing. And the future is still bright. Doug Armstrong and the Blues organization is not getting enough accolades for their run of excellence. If this was Chicago, NY, or LA, all you would hear is how great an organization they are. Blues just don't get enough credit. But when they win their 2nd Cup, and its coming soon, I would think that would change.