2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

Yes, I know it is WAY early, but with two more days before our next game, here could be some fun to look at what our lineups may look like.

Below are players under contract for next year. I am not including UFA's and I'll keep those who are clearly prospects in their own list. Make up your best guess as to what the starting lineup will be next season and the winner, whomever get's it closest, will get a :bananaride: emoticon reply on opening night from me! Obviously we will have to either re-sign some players or sign some UFA's over the summer, as not all spots will be filled by prospects.

9 NHL Forwards under contract:

Tarasenko
ROR
Steen
Schwartz
Schenn
Bozak
Perron
Thomas
Mac/Mac

5 NHL Forwards RFA's

Fabbri
Sanford
Barbashev
Sundqvist
Blais

4 NHL Defense under contract

Petro
Parayko
Bortuzzo
Dunn

1 NHL Defense is RFA

Edmundson

Goalies:

Jake Allen (under contract)
Binnington (RFA)

Offensive Prospects (*RFA #UFA)

Bokk
Kostin
Stevens, Nolan (*)
Toropchenko
Kyrou
Poganski
Kaspick
Musil
Bleackley (*)
Jordan Nolan (#)

Defensive Prospects/Minors ( *RFA; #UFA)

Jerabek (#)
Reinke (*)
Walman
Mikkola
Schmaltz
Wotherspoon (# UFA Group 6)
LaLeggia
Butler (#)

Goalie Prospects/Minors (* RFA, #UFA):

Husso (*)
Fitzpatrick
Coreau (#)
Hofer

My 2019-2020 Blues lineup:

Schenn/ROR/Tarasenko
Blais/Thomas/Perron
Steen/Barby-Bozak/Kyrou
MacMac/Barby-Bozak/Sundqvist

Kostin-Sanford

(Schwartz traded for a late 2019 1rst round pick during the draft)

Dunn/Petro
JEd/Parayko
Walman/Bortz

Mikkola-JayBo

Binnington/UFA Vet (Elliott)

(Allen traded for minor league prospect and/or 3rd round draft pick)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

I agree with the idea that we could trade Schwartz (or one of Bozak or Steen) at the draft, but I would expect to get a roster player back in return, and that we would only do it if we were targeting a UFA this summer and needed the cap space. That said, I do think you will see one of Schwartz/Bozak/Steen and Edmundson moved off the roster, with a "better" Top 4 LD and a "shoot first" winger added in their place. Something along the lines of:

Schenn/ROR/Tarasenko
Perron/Thomas/[New Guy]
Two of Schwartz/Bozak/Steen+Sundqvist
Sanford/Barbashev/Blais
Extras: MacMac/Fabbri; Kyrou 1st call up

[New Guy]/Petro
JBo/Parayko
Dunn/Bortuzzo
Extra: MDZ, Mikkola or bargain basement UFA

Binnington and [sigh] Allen

This offseason is primed for a "stay-the-course" type offseason. With the possible departures of JBo, Gunnar, & DZ, I could see a mid-range defensemen being signed. But, I see this forward mix returning next year minus Maroon and Fabbri. There should be plenty of cap space, so I would love to see a top 6 forwarded added to the group, but not sure that is going to happen.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:05 pm This offseason is primed for a "stay-the-course" type offseason. With the possible departures of JBo, Gunnar, & DZ, I could see a mid-range defensemen being signed. But, I see this forward mix returning next year minus Maroon and Fabbri. There should be plenty of cap space, so I would love to see a top 6 forwarded added to the group, but not sure that is going to happen.
To answer the question:

Schenn/ROR/Tank
Schwartz/Bozak/Perron
Blais/Thomas/Kyrou
Mac/Sunny-Barb/Steen

Dunn/Petro
New Guy/Colt
Borts/Eddy/Everyone else

Binner/I hope to God a new guy

Adding just one top 6 guy to that lineup really adds some depth
KA-KAW!

My guess, we don't make too many moves and build off of this year's momentum regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

Schenn O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Perron
Sundqvist Bozak Kyrou
Steen Barbashev Blais

Some mix of Macmac, Sanford, Poganski, Fabbri, for the last two spots. Maybe Maroon gets brought back.

The D is more up in the air.

Dunn/Petro
Bouw/Parayko
Edmundson/Reinke/Bortuzzo

I could see us bring in a UFA D-man. Especially if Bouw walks.

Just go with Binnington and Allen as the backup.

I don't see big changes coming. Though if they decide to move Petro and/or Schenn at the draft I'd be fine with that but you absolutely can not whiff on either of the returns.

IF they don’t win it all this year, you have to think they go all in next year with the potential of petro and Schenn walking after. Have a feeling we’ll have a much better feeling on that situation after the playoffs. I’d lock up Schenn and deal petro assuming the return is right.
Also have to figure they make room for Kyrou to get a shot next year. We could use another goal scorer and he’s been dynamite in the AHL at last check

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pmYes, I know it is WAY early, but with two more days before our next game, here could be some fun to look at what our lineups may look like. ...
It's NEVER too early for Blues fans to look ahead to next season. It's now a 51-season tradition. 52 if you're still waiting for the 2004-05 season to begin.

There was an article on Donato the other day and it referred to him as a goal scorer and he’s flourishing in MN because of the opportunity he’s getting there. Said it’s counter productive if you give him limited minutes in a bottom 6 role and it stunts there growth which is what he had in Boston. Makes me think of Kyrou.

I agree with ratonomono.

Something like this seems likely (and I would be okay with it assuming we can't move Steen).

Schenn O'Reilly Tarasenko
Perron Thomas Sundqvist
Schwartz Bozak Kyrou
Steen Barbashev Blais

Sanford & MacMac (or cheap vet like an Upshall)

I would bring Bouw back if we can get him for little $/term.

Dunn/Petro
Bouw/Parayko
Edmundson/Bortuzzo

Reinke (but only if they actually play him some...otherwise a cheap vet)

*With Sunny and Barbs playing as well as they have, I could also see a scenario where Thomas plays another year on the wing.
**Also, if one of the above forwards (Schwartz or Schenn (given his contract status) in particular) are terrible in the playoffs, I could see someone going at the draft.

Yeah, we need a 'rookie' forward to have the kind of break out year Binnington has had in goal.

I'd bet on either Kyrou or Kostin being one of those guys. But we need another solid 20/20 producer in the top six, and although I love SunnyD and think he'll be a good 15/15 player, he's way too streaky. Maybe Barb's can find a way into top six and center Kyrou and Thomas?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I don't really see much of anything changing up front for the Blues. Maroon is replaced by Kyrou and Thomas moves to center, with Sundqvist or Barbashev moving to the wing. Kostin still isn't close to being ready yet. Blais, Sanford, etc are still just guys. If Schenn doesn't seem willing to sign an extension I think we should be prepared for the possibility that he gets moved. If he does, I bet we go after a to-6 winger in free agency. Skinner, Nyquist, Anders Lee, etc. I'm expecting a bounce back year for Schwartz. Fabbri is moved somewhere for a change of scenery for him and there not really being a place for him here.

Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Kyrou
Sundqvist-Bozak-Perron
Steen-Barbashev-Sanford
Blais, some random extra we sign on the cheap

Defense is where things get interesting in my opinion. What happens with Petro? Do we re-sign JBo? Eddy? Do we sign a UFA? I'll go out on a limb and say JBo is not re-signed, Eddy is moved, Petro is re-signed. We sign Ben Chiarot as a UFA. The more I look at the makeup of our D and prospects who are close to being ready...I can't see a scenario where Petro is moved, unless we're getting young, NHL ready defensemen back. MDZ is re-signed as the 7th guy, Butler as the 8th in the AHL.

Dunn-Petro
Chiarot-Parayko
Bortuzzo-Reinke
Del Zotto

Binnington/Allen is the goalie tandem.

I would move Petro in the offseason. Extend Schenn. I think Jbo will be too expensive for his age/injury risk. Resign Binner, Sunny, Blais, Sanford, Barb and Fabbri (if for one year on cheap) Sign someone like Tyler Myers. Promote Parayko to #1. Keep Jed. Get rid of Allen. Bring up Husso and/or sign vet goalie. Depending on cap space get a scoring winger. Maybe bring back Maroon for depth, again depending on salary wanted and cap space. Promote Kyrou. Float Steen out there in offseason, if nothing to our liking keep him on 4th line. Go win a cup.

Super dark horse candidate to be a part of the goalie tandem next year: Roberto Luongo. It'd be more of a 1b situation with Binnington as being a backup goalie is actually in some ways worse on the body than being a starter (ie, having to practice longer until the skaters are done). It seems like the Panthers are going to make a super strong push for Bobrovsky, and he wants to go there, so with that being the case, Luongo might want out. Now if that happens, the FAR more likely scenario is that he retires or is "injured" and goes on LTIR for the next 2 years, but if he wants one last shot at a Cup, maybe the Blues make since given that they're probably going to need a veteran goalie that doesn't need to play 40 games.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I think there will be some turn over this summer. Gunnar JBow must be allowed to walk with their injury histroy, age, and salary requirements. So we need some replacements there.

We have too many forwards. Are Maroon Fabbri Blais Mac Kyrou Kostin going to find spots? I say we have to make an attractive package from some of these parts plus Schwartz and Allen to get into the top 10 of the draft.

Add some depth pieces, add some youth from SA, dominate.

39hurricane wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 am Had to bump this one back to the front page. Fun read.

I know it's one day after but I am wondering if Steen or Bouw would retire???
Bo just signed his 1 year deal and he’s playing great again. And Steen has a new lease on life as a 4th liner. Plus the intrigue to defend your title, just don’t see it.

It will be interesting to see if Army makes a significant move this off season but I’m guessing the Blues improvement next year will be thru internal growth. I have renewed hope for Kostin once Berube gets a hold of him. Berube brings the best out of players.