Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

BillP. wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:22 am Jeff Gordon had a good article in the PD about the Blues having a good chance at a repeat because of their defense. Army quoted saying he likes a big defense. Makes you wonder if a Perunovich is a future trade piece candidate.
Doubt it. While he may like big d-men. You still need offensive PP guys like Dunn and Perunovich.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 am So if this continues, what’s the biggest reason? Net front presence, the QB running it, or having that elite go to guy who buries them?

Biggest reason Tarasenko never turned into a 40 plus goal scorer is because he isn’t prodigious on the PP like Ovechkin.
To be fair, Vlad had three straight years of 37,40,39 goals.

I think the issue is probably a combination of a few things though and not one singular issue. But if I had to name the top reason, I'd say no elite PP QB on the point. That and they just seem to have quite a few streaky scorers like Schwartz, Perron, and Schenn. They need more consistency.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am
BillP. wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 am So if this continues, what’s the biggest reason? Net front presence, the QB running it, or having that elite go to guy who buries them?

Biggest reason Tarasenko never turned into a 40 plus goal scorer is because he isn’t prodigious on the PP like Ovechkin.

I think the issue is probably a combination of a few things though and not one singular issue. But if I had to name the top reason, I'd say no elite PP QB on the point. That and they just seem to have quite a few streaky scorers like Schwartz, Perron, and Schenn. They need more consistency.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am

That's a good point. Those 3 years of almost 40 goals, they had Shattenkirk on the point putting up an average of 20 PP assists each season. And the next 2 seasons after he left, Tarasenko's goals dropped to 33.

Blues running out a practice group that looks an awful lot like a realistic version of the opening night lineup:

Tarasenko's absence is the obvious question mark. Fabbri on line 3 is interesting. Ripple effect of Tarasenko's absence or a trial in that spot? Theere's surely time for that to be changed over the next week, but Fabbri getting the first crack at it seemingly.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I don't do GDT's anymore, nor have any expectations except to be entertained...but thought this was interesting information for tomorrow night's game :)

"ST. LOUIS - Fans attending the Sept. 24 preseason game between the St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars can expect quite a star-studded lineup for the Blues.

Ryan O'Reilly, Brayden Schenn, Jaden Schwartz, David Perron and Alex Pietrangelo are expected to see preseason action in the contest.

Klim Kostin, who ranks second overall in the NHL with six points in the preseason (three goals, three assists), is also expected to play Tuesday.

Tickets are available for the game by visiting the Enterprise Center Box Office or ticketmaster.com. Fans who are unable to attend the game can follow the action live on the FOX Sports GO app or at FOXSportsGO.com. In addition, Chris Kerber and Joey Vitale will call the action live on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM).

PROJECTED LINEUP
Forwards: Ivan Barbashev, Sammy Blais, Tyler Bozak, Robby Fabbri, Klim Kostin, Ryan O'Reilly, David Perron, Zach Sanford, Brayden Schenn, Jaden Schwartz, Alexander Steen, Oskar Sundqvist.

Defense: Robert Bortuzzo, Vince Dunn, Joel Edmundson, Carl Gunnarsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Jake Walman

Goalies: Jake Allen, Adam Wilcox"

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/projecte ... =282288828
"Do Only Good Everyday"

JMC-STL wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:21 pmUnless somebody is injured I see Blais, Fabbri and Kostin fighting over one spot.

Certainly a good problem to have.
Not for those three players, it isn't.
I think it is for them too; making them 'work harder' to earn that spot...and even for players like Bozak and Steen who are are only two 'older' and somewhat under performing players, or for Sanford and Sunny D, it also keeps the pressure on those four. Definitely a good problem to have. Even if Kostin makes the team, he'll know that he has to play his best to keep it, because eventually once Kyrou is back to 100%, he'll also be fighting for a chance.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:21 pmUnless somebody is injured I see Blais, Fabbri and Kostin fighting over one spot.

Not for those three players, it isn't.
I think it is for them too; making them 'work harder' to earn that spot...and even for players like Bozak and Steen who are are only two 'older' and somewhat under performing players, or for Sanford and Sunny D, it also keeps the pressure on those four. Definitely a good problem to have. Even if Kostin makes the team, he'll know that he has to play his best to keep it, because eventually once Kyrou is back to 100%, he'll also be fighting for a chance.
Points well stated. Y'all're gettin' good at this shit. ;)

BillP. wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:41 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:21 pm Unless somebody is injured I see Blais, Fabbri and Kostin fighting over one spot.

In all likelihood, Schwartz or Steen will solve that problem. Someone will get shelved to open up a spot.
True. These problems often have a way of working themselves out.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:03 am Don’t forget about waivers. Kostin could be caught in a numbers game
Stanley Cups aren't won in October, I would know my team has won one before. Whatever they decide to do with him to start the season, it's all about where he and this team is at come January and beyond.

But he definitely has done everything possible to show he can play and his status as a prospect has skyrocketed.

What I love most about him is he passion. Dude flipped fans off, shed some tears, didn't want a loser medal. He has the reactions we as fans have! We get so frustrated watching dudes yuck it up on the bench at the end of losing games, not him. He's one of us, with skill.

Kostin needs to make the team and continue scoring for a super long stretch. To me, that's vital for him making it as a NHL player. If he comes up and then fizzles and gets sent back down, who knows how he handles it. Hopefully he makes the team and just takes off and never looks back.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:31 am
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:03 am Don’t forget about waivers. Kostin could be caught in a numbers game
Stanley Cups aren't won in October, I would know my team has won one before. Whatever they decide to do with him to start the season, it's all about where he and this team is at come January and beyond.

But he definitely has done everything possible to show he can play and his status as a prospect has skyrocketed.

What I love most about him is he passion. Dude flipped fans off, shed some tears, didn't want a loser medal. He has the reactions we as fans have! We get so frustrated watching dudes yuck it up on the bench at the end of losing games, not him. He's one of us, with skill.
I think he’s earned a spot for sure, I’m just not sure the Blues are ready to risk losing someone on waivers for nothing. I wonder if we might see a small deal before next Wednesday.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:22 am Jeff Gordon had a good article in the PD about the Blues having a good chance at a repeat because of their defense. Army quoted saying he likes a big defense. Makes you wonder if a Perunovich is a future trade piece candidate.
I don’t think so...I think Perunovich is going to be a fantastic player for us.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"