Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:49 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm is it after this season that's about to start that seattle gets to steal players?

if so...who will be able to be stolen?
Nope. June of 2021.
Yep, more here: Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed
Will select one player from each team, excluding Vegas https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-2021-n ... -302586918
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm is it after this season that's about to start that seattle gets to steal players?

Nope. June of 2021.
Yep, more here: Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed
Will select one player from each team, excluding Vegas https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-2021-n ... -302586918
Key takeaways:
Protect either 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters + 1 goalie (Almost certain the Blues will go 7F/3D/1G)
Pending FA's drafted must be signed by Seattle within 24 hours.
Players with any movement restriction clauses must be protected (unless the player chooses to waive)
1st and 2nd year NHL players don't require protections
MUST expose 2F, 1D, 1G who qualify for several rules (played a certain # of games, not injured a certain# of games, etc.)

So. looking at the current roster and who'll be under contract for 2021-22 (From Capfriendly.com):

Tarasenko - MUST protect (NTC)
O'Reilly - under contract (Will certainly protect)
Steen - UFA (Will probably retire but MUST be protected if he doesn't or won't waive?)
Schwartz - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive, but we'll probably protect him anyway)
Schenn - UFA in 2020 (will probably protect if we extend him prior)
Bozak - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive?)
Perron - Under contract (MUST protect)
Sundqvist - Under contract (???)
Barbashev - RFA (???)
Fabbri - RFA in 2020 (???)
Thomas - RFA (Will certainly protect)
Blais - RFA in 2020 (???)
MacEachern - RFA in 2020 (???)

Kyrou - RFA (MAY be draft eligible since he played this past season. If so, he's probably protected)

Pietrangelo - UFA in 2020 (will certainly re-sign and be protected)
Parayko - Will certainly protect
Bouwmeester - UFA in 2020 (will probably retire or re-sign a 1 year deal again)
Edmundson - UFA in 2020 (Not sure what will happen here)
Gunnarsson - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive?)
Bortuzzo - Probably will NOT protect
Dunn - RFA in 2020 (will probably re-sign and be protected)
Pouliout - RFA in 2020 (probably won't re-sign, certainly would NOT be protected)

Binnington - UFA (will certainly be re-signed and protected)
Allen - UFA (probably will NOT be re-signed, unless a lot cheaper, but not protected)

Any rookies this season or next would NOT require protection.

I've bolded my guesses as to who we'd protect.

As for the italics, Bozak, Gunnarsson and Steen are ones I'm not sure about. They'll be pending UFAs that I'm positive they won't want to re-sign (MAYBE Bozak?), but they do have no-movement clauses. However, those clauses may be moot after the end of the season or something like that, I don't know. I'm sure we won't protect them if we don't have to. Worst case, we ask them to waive, if they get selected, Seattle has to sign them within 24 hours, or they become UFAs anyway.

Schwartz is like that, too (NMC but a pending UFA), but I suspect we'll protect him anyway. Even if we don't want to keep him on the team, he'd be worth more to trade than to lose in the draft instead of a 3rd-4th line guy.

I think they'll try to find some way to keep Sundqvist, as well, and who knows, maybe Edmundson turns things around and we'd like to keep him, too. It's possible.

A lot can change in 2 seasons, but the Blues look pretty decent heading into the expansion draft as it stands now.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:29 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Nope. June of 2021.
Key takeaways:
Protect either 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters + 1 goalie (Almost certain the Blues will go 7F/3D/1G)
Pending FA's drafted must be signed by Seattle within 24 hours.
Players with any movement restriction clauses must be protected (unless the player chooses to waive)
1st and 2nd year NHL players don't require protections
MUST expose 2F, 1D, 1G who qualify for several rules (played a certain # of games, not injured a certain# of games, etc.)

So. looking at the current roster and who'll be under contract for 2021-22 (From Capfriendly.com):

Tarasenko - MUST protect (NTC)
O'Reilly - under contract (Will certainly protect)
Steen - UFA (Will probably retire but MUST be protected if he doesn't or won't waive?)
Schwartz - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive, but we'll probably protect him anyway)
Schenn - UFA in 2020 (will probably protect if we extend him prior)
Bozak - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive?)
Perron - Under contract (MUST protect)
Sundqvist - Under contract (???)
Barbashev - RFA (???)
Fabbri - RFA in 2020 (???)
Thomas - RFA (Will certainly protect)
Blais - RFA in 2020 (???)
MacEachern - RFA in 2020 (???)

Kyrou - RFA (MAY be draft eligible since he played this past season. If so, he's probably protected)

Pietrangelo - UFA in 2020 (will certainly re-sign and be protected)
Parayko - Will certainly protect
Bouwmeester - UFA in 2020 (will probably retire or re-sign a 1 year deal again)
Edmundson - UFA in 2020 (Not sure what will happen here)
Gunnarsson - UFA (MUST be protected if he won't waive?)
Bortuzzo - Probably will NOT protect
Dunn - RFA in 2020 (will probably re-sign and be protected)
Pouliout - RFA in 2020 (probably won't re-sign, certainly would NOT be protected)

Binnington - UFA (will certainly be re-signed and protected)
Allen - UFA (probably will NOT be re-signed, unless a lot cheaper, but not protected)

Any rookies this season or next would NOT require protection.

I've bolded my guesses as to who we'd protect.

As for the italics, Bozak, Gunnarsson and Steen are ones I'm not sure about. They'll be pending UFAs that I'm positive they won't want to re-sign (MAYBE Bozak?), but they do have no-movement clauses. However, those clauses may be moot after the end of the season or something like that, I don't know. I'm sure we won't protect them if we don't have to. Worst case, we ask them to waive, if they get selected, Seattle has to sign them within 24 hours, or they become UFAs anyway.

Schwartz is like that, too (NMC but a pending UFA), but I suspect we'll protect him anyway. Even if we don't want to keep him on the team, he'd be worth more to trade than to lose in the draft instead of a 3rd-4th line guy.

I think they'll try to find some way to keep Sundqvist, as well, and who knows, maybe Edmundson turns things around and we'd like to keep him, too. It's possible.

A lot can change in 2 seasons, but the Blues look pretty decent heading into the expansion draft as it stands now.
Most of what you've posted is correct, except players w/ No-Movement Clauses must be protected, but players w/ No-Trade Clauses DO NOT require protection.

A No Movement Clause means you can't trade a player OR send them to the minors without their approval. A No Trade Clause means you can't trade a player without their approval.

Seems like a minor difference, but it's actually huge relating to expansion. For instance, Tampa has NTC on Palat, Killorn, Johnson, & Gourde. They're eligible for expansion draft. Kucherov & Stamkos have NMC. They're NOT eligible & must be protected

As for the Blues, Army has signed exactly ZERO players to NMC, meaning their entire roster (save for prospects w/ too little pro exp.) is eligible to be drafted. They don't have any players whom they'll be FORCED to protect.

CapFriendly has an Expansion Draft tool, which has NMC players already selected for each team.
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

It's why Chicago & Calgary are forced to waste a protected spot on Seabrook & Lucic, but Buffalo can expose Okposo.

FWIW, if all Tarasenko has is a NTC he does not HAVE to be protected--only players with NMCs HAVE to be protected. Last go around, Blues had no players that Army was obligated to protect. This is likely moot though as unless something absolutely insane happens, Tarasenko will be one of the first names on the protect list.

Nope. June of 2021.
Hmm... Thanks Mook.

Looking over who is under contract during that time (like 7 players total) its very hard to guess who we will have (and lose) at that time.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am Huh.

I'm hoping this just that so when Army hears Chiarelli agreeing with a potential move, he'll know not to do it.
I hope it's just restaurant and hotel recommendations.

IMG_20190629_132849.jpg
Hotel and restaurant recommendations. HA

That’s gold buddy!!

They must be friends and Army is throwing him a bone. Dude just won a Cup so who’s going to argue any move Army makes now? I seriously doubt Chia Pet will be a player in Blues transactions. This has to be nothing more than a friend helping out a friend............I hope :lol:

Robb_K wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:35 am :lol:
MissouriMook wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm hoping this just that so when Army hears Chiarelli agreeing with a potential move, he'll know not to do it.
Apparently Army made a deal with the devil to get us our Cup, and now it's time to pay the toll.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prepaid our debt to the devil for our cup by offering my soul and agreeing to a Cubs WS win.

You're welcome.

Apparently Army made a deal with the devil to get us our Cup, and now it's time to pay the toll. :lol:
I'm gonna hate the Robert Thomas for Loui Eriksson deal, but at least we got the parade.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am

Apparently Army made a deal with the devil to get us our Cup, and now it's time to pay the toll. :lol:
I'm gonna hate the Robert Thomas for Loui Eriksson deal, but at least we got the parade.
:lol:
KA-KAW!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 am Kind of wild that training camp starts today and their first game is Monday in Dallas.

Really looking forward to see how some of the young d men and forwards like Kostin and Kyrou look.
Yep, really hoping one of them makes the team, and the other one should be one of the first call-ups along with Nolan.

Excited to see how this team comes out to play next month. I have a feeling that the first couple preseason games will see almost a full AHL/Junior league roster. Would be surprised to see the top 9 or top 6 D getting much ice time this first week. There's 8 preseason games over the next 2.5 weeks, so plenty of time to work them in:
"Do Only Good Everyday"