Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:08 am
MissouriMook wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 pm I really hope Kostin comes to camp ready and performs at a level to make this team.

I like him as a physical 3rd line winger. Slide into Maroon’s spot.
Why not just trade for Matthew Tkachuk? Both have about the same likelihood of happening.
I am not sure what is so unrealistic about this, but I am looking forward to throwing this in your face like a good ole whip cream pie
BringItOn.gif BringItOn.gif Viewed 14468 times 83.66 KiB

Binnington on taking 2 year deal: “Keep building and let the money chase you.”

St. Louis Blues netminder Jordan Binnington believes he's worth more than his latest contract indicates, but he also knows what it takes to maintain a winning team in the salary cap era.

This summer, the 26-year-old signed a two-year, $8.8-million contract with the Blues following a historic rookie campaign that saw him join the club in mid-December and spark an incredible run that took it from last place in the league in January to its first-ever Stanley Cup in June.

"You need a good team to win and I think it's a fair deal in that aspect, but obviously I'm confident in myself and believe I deserve more and will earn more, so that just comes with time and experience," Binnington said Tuesday at BioSteel camp, according to TSN. "You've just got to understand the process and just keep building and let the money chase you."

Binnington finished the 2018-19 regular season with a 24-5-1 record, a 1.89 goals-against average, a .927 save percentage, and five shutouts. In the playoffs, the Ontario native became the first rookie netminder in history to record 16 wins.

Off the ice, Binnington captured the attention of fans with his unwavering confidence, which included a postgame interview in February when he was asked about being nervous in close games.

Entering his sophomore campaign, Binnington doesn't plan to change a thing.

"Everyone's their own person and I think for me I just try and find my own motivation every day and whether it's having my own swagger and feeling myself that day I adapt to whatever I'm feeling so yeah, l like to have a good presence," he said. "I respect athletes that put themselves out there and have to back it up. It's kind of a nice addition to the game, so I think just my whole demeanor - I like the way I roll."

Binnington will likely be the Blues' starting netminder on opening night when they begin their defense of the Stanley Cup by hosting the Washington Capitals.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm Can’t believe Barbashev took less than Sanford, but guess it just sucks to be an RFA with no leverage. Glad he’s back.

That’s what I said. Can’t believe he couldn’t get at least another 100k just to make more than Sanford. Damn. I’ll give a Army credit, he generally plays hard ball in negotiations.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:56 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm Can’t believe Barbashev took less than Sanford, but guess it just sucks to be an RFA with no leverage. Glad he’s back.

Thank God.

Armstrong played hardball and won. We'll see how the next contract works out.
As of today, the Blues have 6 players under contract for the 21-22 season. Vladdy, O'Reilly, Perron, Sundqvist, Paryako, and Bortz. Total, $28,625,000 in salary. 13 under contract for next season at just over $59M. Army seems to be planning to stay busy the next two offseasons. Sure, some of those guys are going to sign before the offseason, but this team could look really different in a few years.

Have a look for yourself: Capfriendly St. Louis Blues

Sure will be interesting to see what this team does the next couple of seasons, on and off the ice.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:04 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:01 pm Happy for Barbs and the Blues. Good job by DA as noted
You stayin' safe down there?
yeah, thank you :)

We have a few clouds/sporadic showers rolling over us and northerly winds from the hurricane, but it's mostly sunny over here right at this second. Unless it decides to come due west 100 miles or so, we won't be really affected. Fortunately, considering the devastation being caused in the Bahamas over the last two days, and what the Atlantic side will have soon. Riverman will probably be seeing it soon too, stay safe up in the Carolinas!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

stlblues1226 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 am

Thank God.

As of today, the Blues have 6 players under contract for the 21-22 season. Vladdy, O'Reilly, Perron, Sundqvist, Paryako, and Bortz. Total, $28,625,000 in salary. 13 under contract for next season at just over $59M. Army seems to be planning to stay busy the next two offseasons. Sure, some of those guys are going to sign before the offseason, but this team could look really different in a few years.

Sure will be interesting to see what this team does the next couple of seasons, on and off the ice.
I'd imagine they will make a hard run this season with the same core, and make decisions about Petro and Schenn before December. JayBo, Gunner, and JeD most likely gone, or possibly traded depending on how some of the prospects do. Keep hearing that Reinke and Mikkola may make a push. One great thing is that over the next 3 summers, we have all of our top 5 draft picks, except the 2nd rounder in 2021. But yeah, will be many very interesting management decisions by DA coming up.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank God.

I'd imagine they will make a hard run this season with the same core, and make decisions about Petro and Schenn before December. JayBo, Gunner, and JeD most likely gone, or possibly traded depending on how some of the prospects do. Keep hearing that Reinke and Mikkola may make a push. One great thing is that over the next 3 summers, we have all of our top 5 draft picks, except the 2nd rounder in 2021. But yeah, will be many very interesting management decisions by DA coming up.
Blues are in great shape after this season contract-wise. We can make another strong run and then Armstrong can reload easily. Armstrong really can't go wrong either way with Petro or Schenn.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Blues are in great shape after this season contract-wise. We can make another strong run and then Armstrong can reload easily. Armstrong really can't go wrong either way with Petro or Schenn.
Army looks like the best GM in hockey right now. Winning a Cup with a roster filled with bargain friendly contracts. When is the last time a team won a Cup with a cap friendly bargain filled roster like the Blues? Not sure if anyone can rival that.

BillP. wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Army looks like the best GM in hockey right now. Winning a Cup with a roster filled with bargain friendly contracts. When is the last time a team won a Cup with a cap friendly bargain filled roster like the Blues? Not sure if anyone can rival that.
aslo, I cannot remember any Cup winning team over the last 15+ years that lost only one player of the 23 + who suited up for Cup playoff run. That is just incredible.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

The key is the contracts coming off the books in the next 2 years. Steen and Bouw retiring. Jed Allen Schenn Kyrou Fabri traded. Add Reinke Mikkola Mac Blais Kostin Husso at friendly contracts.

Then you just have to re-sign Petro and Schwartz.

From the trade pieces mentioned above you should be able to get a real good player and a good draft pick.

39hurricane wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 pm The key is the contracts coming off the books in the next 2 years. Steen and Bouw retiring. Jed Allen Schenn Kyrou Fabri traded. Add Reinke Mikkola Mac Blais Kostin Husso at friendly contracts.

From the trade pieces mentioned above you should be able to get a real good player and a good draft pick.
I don't see Schenn as being a good trade piece. I'd rather they pay him $6M/4 or 5 years if they can than try to trade him. I just don't see a good return for him, and not sure if even Kyrou or JeD would make that much of a difference in value received back...would we be able to get a mid 20's 50-70 point scoring Center/LW back who does good on faceoffs, ain't afraid to drop them if needs to, and a strong checker/hitter?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

39hurricane wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:32 pm Schwartz ROR Tank
Schenn Thomas Perron
Sanford Sunny Blais
Mac Barbs Steen

Jed Petro
Bouw Colt55
Dunn Bortz
Don't forget Bozak ;)

DP/ROR/Kyrou
Schwartz/Schenn/Tarasenko
Blais/Bozak/Thomas
Barbs/SunnyD/Steen

Mac/Sanford

Same D, although I'd love to see Dunn moved up with Petro eventually.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:20 pm
39hurricane wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 pm The key is the contracts coming off the books in the next 2 years. Steen and Bouw retiring. Jed Allen Schenn Kyrou Fabri traded. Add Reinke Mikkola Mac Blais Kostin Husso at friendly contracts.

I don't see Schenn as being a good trade piece. I'd rather they pay him $6M/4 or 5 years if they can than try to trade him. I just don't see a good return for him, and not sure if even Kyrou or JeD would make that much of a difference in value received back...would we be able to get a mid 20's 50-70 point scoring Center/LW back who does good on faceoffs, ain't afraid to drop them if needs to, and a strong checker/hitter?
The only way they trade Schenn at this point is if they're out of contention at the deadline. I don't think it's impossible they trade him, but I think it's more likely that they extend him before the season is over. Heading into camp, I'm most interested to see who earns the most playing time among the young NHL ready forwards. What roles to Sanford/Fabbri/Kyrou/Blais earn? Who gets caught in a numbers game and sent down? Where does Thomas play? I'm starting to get excited about seeing that play out.
I'm kind of anticipating either the regular home or throwback jersey, but with a popping gold in place of the yellow. The Cardinals did something similar to open the 2007 season after winning the 06 World Series. I hope it's something a lot cooler, but those are my expectations.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 am
bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:20 pm

The only way they trade Schenn at this point is if they're out of contention at the deadline. I don't think it's impossible they trade him, but I think it's more likely that they extend him before the season is over. Heading into camp, I'm most interested to see who earns the most playing time among the young NHL ready forwards. What roles to Sanford/Fabbri/Kyrou/Blais earn? Who gets caught in a numbers game and sent down? Where does Thomas play? I'm starting to get excited about seeing that play out.
I'm kind of anticipating either the regular home or throwback jersey, but with a popping gold in place of the yellow. The Cardinals did something similar to open the 2007 season after winning the 06 World Series. I hope it's something a lot cooler, but those are my expectations.
I'm actually hoping for a Stanley Cup Champions commemorative jersey, and I want that mother fucker to be so gaudy and over-the-top that people are annoyed by how much we are flaunting the championship. We may never see that again. Let's flaunt it!
KA-KAW!