Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am
39hurricane wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 am Honestly if anyone is going to be the next Maroon I think its Sanford...something about him changed during the playoffs while he was sitting most of the time. If he can play like he did during the final consistently he's going to be a pretty good middle-6 winger.
Sanford had a really nice hit right in front of the Bruins bench in game 7. I had no idea he had it in him. Then of course he scored. I think he could be a good player, he has to find some way to add about 15 pounds of beef to his frame
Sanford scares the shit out of me as anything more than a 12th/13th forward.

He is incredibly inconsistent. When he first came back from injury last year, he looked like he belonged in this league. Then he went through a long stretch of reverting back to looking borderline useless. He stepped it up in the playoffs and looked like a quality player again.

I question whether he has the ability to play a strong full season of hockey. I'd rather just rotate him depending on which player he decides to be for that stretch.

Of course, I didn't think Sunny belonged in the league last year so sometimes young guys just figure it out. Sunny added the muscle and toughness you alluded to though.
My hope is that the depth of middle six guys in the lineup this year creates enough internal competition that somebody takes a leap and grabs onto one of those spots for good. I couldn't care less who it is, I just want a couple of these Blais/Sanford/Kyrou/Fabbri types to grab hold of one of those spots and make us laugh that we ever put them in the same category.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 am Honestly if anyone is going to be the next Maroon I think its Sanford...something about him changed during the playoffs while he was sitting most of the time. If he can play like he did during the final consistently he's going to be a pretty good middle-6 winger.
Sanford had a really nice hit right in front of the Bruins bench in game 7. I had no idea he had it in him. Then of course he scored. I think he could be a good player, he has to find some way to add about 15 pounds of beef to his frame

He is incredibly inconsistent. When he first came back from injury last year, he looked like he belonged in this league. Then he went through a long stretch of reverting back to looking borderline useless. He stepped it up in the playoffs and looked like a quality player again.

I question whether he has the ability to play a strong full season of hockey. I'd rather just rotate him depending on which player he decides to be for that stretch.

Of course, I didn't think Sunny belonged in the league last year so sometimes young guys just figure it out. Sunny added the muscle and toughness you alluded to though.

Sanford has that Rattie in him in that once he settles in he begins to play passive and play like he’s a finesse player. Never cared for Sanford but he figured out the necessary urgency in the Finals so I’ll give him one more shot next year. Maybe Berube gets thru to him and he learns how to play aggressively on a consistent basis. But to me Blais is the superior player. He understands the necessary work ethic. And that is what Sanford needs to learn to embrace.

BillP. wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Sanford has that Rattie in him in that once he settles in he begins to play passive and play like he’s a finesse player. Never cared for Sanford but he figured out the necessary urgency in the Finals so I’ll give him one more shot next year. Maybe Berube gets thru to him and he learns how to play aggressively on a consistent basis. But to me Blais is the superior player. He understands the necessary work ethic. And that is what Sanford needs to learn to embrace.
I think Yeo severely regressed some players... Sunny D/Sanford/Blais looked much more prepared for NHL games once Berube took over and made it "his" team. I am skeptical of Sanford as well, but Berube made a HUGE difference.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I think Yeo severely regressed some players... Sunny D/Sanford/Blais looked much more prepared for NHL games once Berube took over and made it "his" team. I am skeptical of Sanford as well, but Berube made a HUGE difference.
Yeah, Berube really elevated Petro. Actually it was Sunny side up with Yeo too. Remember we all thought Yeo was nuts for inserting him and he played well? Sunny and ROR might of been the only 2 guys that played well for Yeo.

BillP. wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:59 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Yeah, Berube really elevated Petro. Actually it was Sunny side up with Yeo too. Remember we all thought Yeo was nuts for inserting him and he played well? Sunny and ROR might of been the only 2 guys that played well for Yeo.
Ohh you're absolutely right! It's hard to keep track of the good things when Yeo was around which is ironic as there were so few to remember...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 am

This would be bad
I wonder if there's a personal element to this. I've never heard a peep about him being unhappy in North America, but maybe part of him just wants to go home. I actually believe it's not just a negotiating tactic. Anyone using a KHL threat as leverage against Armstrong need only look back to the Sobotka situation to see if Armstrong will blink. If he does go overseas, Maroon's phone will ring pretty quickly.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 am

This would be bad
I wonder if there's a personal element to this. I've never heard a peep about him being unhappy in North America, but maybe part of him just wants to go home. I actually believe it's not just a negotiating tactic. Anyone using a KHL threat as leverage against Armstrong need only look back to the Sobotka situation to see if Armstrong will blink. If he does go overseas, Maroon's phone will ring pretty quickly.
It might be his agent causing issues;

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 am

This would be bad
It might be his agent causing issues;
Milstein seems to specialize in Russians. Contracts he's negotiated listed at this website, though not sure if those players dropped him afterwards. Biggest deal was Kucherov's current deal.
https://puckpedia.com/agent/daniel-milstein

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 am Barbashev was a very important piece for us last year, especially in the playoffs. He provides more than your typical 4th line C/W. I don't think he's super easy to replace.
I'd definitely rather have Barbashev than not, but I do think Blais can slide into that role and produce similar results.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 am Barbashev was a very important piece for us last year, especially in the playoffs. He provides more than your typical 4th line C/W. I don't think he's super easy to replace.
I'd definitely rather have Barbashev than not, but I do think Blais can slide into that role and produce similar results.
I disagree completely.

I disagree with the prior disagreement.

I think our forward depth going into this season is as good as it was last offseason if not better, especially when it comes to the bottom six. Add in the possibility of a few young guys having relative breakout years and I think the team would be alright without Barbashev.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm
I disagree completely.
Barbashev is definitely the preferred option, but if he bolts I won't be too upset about Blais doing a 90% Barbashev impression for 11 minutes a night.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 pm

I disagree completely.
Barbashev is definitely the preferred option, but if he bolts I won't be too upset about Blais doing a 90% Barbashev impression for 11 minutes a night.
I think he would have a real tough time doing that. Barbashev is as physical as Blais and he can also play center, take faceoffs, play the penalty kill and is a better scorer.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 pm

I disagree completely.
I think he would have a real tough time doing that. Barbashev is as physical as Blais and he can also play center, take faceoffs, play the penalty kill and is a better scorer.
And he can play up the lineup. Barby is more comparable to Sunny than he is to Blais.

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm all this talk about Maroon and Blais taking over Barbie's minutes yet we still have Robby Fabbri -who is now healthy, hungry, and possibly Berube'd- who could fill those minutes
I don't think there's a forward who'll be more motivated than fabbri next season.
Not sure that his game is heavy enough to suit Berube... we shall see, I guess.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm all this talk about Maroon and Blais taking over Barbie's minutes yet we still have Robby Fabbri -who is now healthy, hungry, and possibly Berube'd- who could fill those minutes
I don't think there's a forward who'll be more motivated than fabbri next season.
true, though it's not from lack of effort. Fabbri wants to play a heavy game, the problem is that he's had some bad luck injuries.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 pm

true, though it's not from lack of effort. Fabbri wants to play a heavy game, the problem is that he's had some bad luck injuries.
The problem for him, is if he "bulks up", his knees become an even bigger issue.

He better be. There is a lot of competition nipping at his heels.

barcthespark wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:48 pm A young 4th liner leaving a Cup winning team over a few $$$ would have to be an idiot. I love having him on our team, but he can easily be replaced.
You guys are overlooking the best part about playing in Russia. NO INCOME TAXES! If Barbs has a 3 million dollar contract on the table from Moscow that would be the same as making 5 million here in the states.

It's not a few bucks.