Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

bradleygt89 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm If "we don't win the Cup without Maroon' is going to be taken as gospel around here, than we could say the same thing about the whole team.
exactly correct. thanks for getting on board. the team butterfly effected its way to a Cup. everyone is of significance. the contributions of those who didn't play but were in the room are also important. ott as a coach. all of it. it was the winning formula.

can the formula be duplicated? doubtful. it was a perfect storm of hodgepodge, giveafuck, and underdog that made it work. now we're at the top with 30 teams gunning for us. can the team repeat? doable, but that doesn't mean we use the same formula. the win had a snowball effect on how the other teams approached the offseason. we are fighting different opponents now, it's a whole new battlefield. so if this guy stays and that guy goes, who knows how that ultimately affects the season? i think personally, even though he had some incredibly timely goals and was a huge talker in the room, the blues won in spite of maroon. he isn't a great player. but he's a consistent player. great players can get into a funk. maroon just seems to be maroon no matter what's happening around him, and that is a great quality to have. i'd like to have him back, but i'd also be happy for him if he found a way to make more money while the iron is hot, as i don't think he has a long career ahead of him.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 am Honestly if anyone is going to be the next Maroon I think its Sanford...something about him changed during the playoffs while he was sitting most of the time. If he can play like he did during the final consistently he's going to be a pretty good middle-6 winger.
BillyP won't be sending you any presents this year after that post ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

T.C. wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 am
bradleygt89 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm If "we don't win the Cup without Maroon' is going to be taken as gospel around here, than we could say the same thing about the whole team.
exactly correct. thanks for getting on board. the team butterfly effected its way to a Cup. everyone is of significance. the contributions of those who didn't play but were in the room are also important. ott as a coach. all of it. it was the winning formula.

can the formula be duplicated? doubtful. it was a perfect storm of hodgepodge, giveafuck, and underdog that made it work. now we're at the top with 30 teams gunning for us. can the team repeat? doable, but that doesn't mean we use the same formula. the win had a snowball effect on how the other teams approached the offseason. we are fighting different opponents now, it's a whole new battlefield. so if this guy stays and that guy goes, who knows how that ultimately affects the season? i think personally, even though he had some incredibly timely goals and was a huge talker in the room, the blues won in spite of maroon. he isn't a great player. but he's a consistent player. great players can get into a funk. maroon just seems to be maroon no matter what's happening around him, and that is a great quality to have. i'd like to have him back, but i'd also be happy for him if he found a way to make more money while the iron is hot, as i don't think he has a long career ahead of him.
This team would've won with Chad Johnson as the backup in the playoffs. THERE I SAID IT
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 am

This team would've won with Chad Johnson as the backup in the playoffs. THERE I SAID IT
They would of won with me as the backup for crying out loud.

T.C. wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm i think you guys are underestimating the glove save jake made on the bench. it could have incapacitated chief. it was a crucial and timely save.
I've got nothing against him personally, I just hope that the next time I see him on the ice, he's fishing a puck out of the net while wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets jersey.

That's just it, if either Blais and/or Sanford bring consistency to their game one of them could replace Patty's roster spot. But neither have shown that yet. I hope both are up to challenge, confidence shouldn't be an issue for either.

BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm

We do NOT make the playoffs with Chad Johnson, or BillyP :), as the backup of the Blues. Binnington and others and the coaches all talked about how important he was. And I'll say it again too: IMHO Jake's contribution to the 2018/19 Blues season (the entire season; regular and postseason combined), was of greater value than Maroon's.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:31 pm

We do NOT make the playoffs with Chad Johnson, or BillyP :), as the backup of the Blues. Binnington and others and the coaches all talked about how important he was. And I'll say it again too: IMHO Jake's contribution to the 2018/19 Blues season (the entire season; regular and postseason combined), was of greater value than Maroon's.
He's catching Steen for team leader in intangibles.

Either way, none of it has anything to do with if he's worth his salary this coming season.

Last, clearly you've never seen BillyP's 5 hole. You don't know how he would've performed.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Either way, none of it has anything to do with if he's worth his salary this coming season.

Last, clearly you've never seen BillyP's 5 hole. You don't know how he would've performed.

BillP would've been traded or buried in the minors before the turnaround after Armstrong caught wind of his BNF behavior the first half of the season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pm

BillP would've been traded or buried in the minors before the turnaround after Armstrong caught wind of his BNF behavior the first half of the season.
Yeah, I definitely would of been a contributor to the divided locker room. Berube would of drop kicked me all the way to San Antonio :lol:

I still have to pinch myself and say, "HEY!!! You know what?! The St. Louis Blues are Stanley Cup MF'ing Champions!!!"

Blais Sanford >>> Kyrou Fabbri

I think we have too many forwards in the pipeline. When are we going to have room for Kostin? If somebody would ttrade us a real good Left D prospect for Kyrou Fabbri and Allen I would be all over it.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm I still have to pinch myself and say, "HEY!!! You know what?! The St. Louis Blues are Stanley Cup MF'ing Champions!!!"

I think we have too many forwards in the pipeline. When are we going to have room for Kostin? If somebody would ttrade us a real good Left D prospect for Kyrou Fabbri and Allen I would be all over it.

It’s still hard to believe, I agree.

If the Blues are going to make the dream last longer and repeat, they’ll need another injection of youth. Most of it will have to come from internal growth. I expect a big jump in production from Thomas and hopefully guys like Blais and Sanford pick it up. But it sure would help the Blues a lot if Kyrou and Kostin turn into hungry productive players. The Blues will need some surprises next year to make this happen all over again. Maybe Doug swings a big deadline deal next year.

BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pmBillP would've been traded or buried in the minors before the turnaround after Armstrong caught wind of his BNF behavior the first half of the season.
Yeah, I definitely would of been a contributor to the divided locker room. Berube would of drop kicked me all the way to San Antonio :lol:
@BillP - Chief has Google Maps on his phone. He would've saved some energy & given you the shorter skate boot straight to Tulsa.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm I still have to pinch myself and say, "HEY!!! You know what?! The St. Louis Blues are Stanley Cup MF'ing Champions!!!"

There's definitely a glut of young forwards, but to me that's a great thing. Here's all the forwards that are at least close to NHL ready and are still RFAs after their current contracts expire (notably that excludes Sunny D).
Sanford, Fabbri, Thomas, Blais, Mac Mac, Barbashev, Kyrou, Kostin.

That's 8 names, and there is probably only room for 4 of them as regulars this season. Thomas and Barbashev are pretty much locks as regulars, and Kostin is a lock to start in San Antonio. That leaves 2 spots for Sanford, Fabbri, Blais, Mac and Kyrou. Personally I hope that Kyrou is healthy enough to make the leap into a full time NHL role since he has the most potential, and let the others fight for the last spot. If they all play well and make the decision tough for Berube/Army maybe we see a deal.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Just saw something somewhere that Barbs and the Blues are close to a deal, BUT they want to extend the negotiations as long as possible to keep Twitterverse and the forums rocking with conspiracy theories and talking points. Also heard that Jake Allen is going to retire after the 19/20 season and become the goalie coach in waiting...
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am Just saw something somewhere that Barbs and the Blues are close to a deal, BUT they want to extend the negotiations as long as possible to keep Twitterverse and the forums rocking with conspiracy theories and talking points. Also heard that Jake Allen is going to retire after the 19/20 season and become the goalie coach in waiting...
:D :D :D :D :D

Is this an E4 or E5 from Eklund?
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 am Honestly if anyone is going to be the next Maroon I think its Sanford...something about him changed during the playoffs while he was sitting most of the time. If he can play like he did during the final consistently he's going to be a pretty good middle-6 winger.
Sanford had a really nice hit right in front of the Bruins bench in game 7. I had no idea he had it in him. Then of course he scored. I think he could be a good player, he has to find some way to add about 15 pounds of beef to his frame

39hurricane wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 pm
Sanford had a really nice hit right in front of the Bruins bench in game 7. I had no idea he had it in him. Then of course he scored. I think he could be a good player, he has to find some way to add about 15 pounds of beef to his frame
Sanford scares the shit out of me as anything more than a 12th/13th forward.

He is incredibly inconsistent. When he first came back from injury last year, he looked like he belonged in this league. Then he went through a long stretch of reverting back to looking borderline useless. He stepped it up in the playoffs and looked like a quality player again.

I question whether he has the ability to play a strong full season of hockey. I'd rather just rotate him depending on which player he decides to be for that stretch.

Of course, I didn't think Sunny belonged in the league last year so sometimes young guys just figure it out. Sunny added the muscle and toughness you alluded to though.