Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:51 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:09 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 pm My Spidey Senses are telling me that there is a decent chance we walk away and make him a UFA if the ruling comes in higher than the midpoint by much. I have to think that if there was a market for him at $3.5M or higher he would have been moved by now. I can’t see Army being thrilled about tying up that much cap space with a guy that may end up being your 7th D when everyone is healthy.
Why would you walk away from an asset like Edmundson? He has trade value if you don't want his contract.
Because I think that, for whatever reason, Eddy and the organization don't see eye to eye about what he brings and what he's worth. If you feel like there is 1) a significant chance that he walks after the coming season, and 2) you feel like he is 4th on your depth chart at his position, and 3) no one is interested in trading for him at the price you're going to have to pay him (in this scenario, probably $3.5M or more) for what you feel will be his last season here anyway, just cut him loose and spend that money where you feel it would do more good.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is what it going to happen, I'm just saying that I could see the situation playing out that way if the arbitration award leans in Eddy's favor.
I hear you and well said. I just think there's less than zero chance that a team wouldn't want Joel Edmundson, a big physical 26 year old Stanley cup winning d-man for less than 4 million. Hell, going into last season, some people were wondering aloud if he'd surpassed Paryako in development.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 am

Why would you walk away from an asset like Edmundson? He has trade value if you don't want his contract.
Because I think that, for whatever reason, Eddy and the organization don't see eye to eye about what he brings and what he's worth. If you feel like there is 1) a significant chance that he walks after the coming season, and 2) you feel like he is 4th on your depth chart at his position, and 3) no one is interested in trading for him at the price you're going to have to pay him (in this scenario, probably $3.5M or more) for what you feel will be his last season here anyway, just cut him loose and spend that money where you feel it would do more good.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is what it going to happen, I'm just saying that I could see the situation playing out that way if the arbitration award leans in Eddy's favor.
I hear you and well said. I just think there's less than zero chance that a team wouldn't want Joel Edmundson, a big physical 26 year old Stanley cup winning d-man for less than 4 million. Hell, going into last season, some people were wondering aloud if he'd surpassed Paryako in development.
Yeah, I very much think you're both right. Edmundson and the Blues seem to have a value discrepancy that's touch to deal with when they're tight against the cap. But while the Blues don't have a lot of wiggle room if the number comes in high from arbitration, it would seem highly unlikely they don't deal him for like...a third round pick. Having said that, I think there might be some caveat with arbitration where a team can't trade the player until January? I'm far from 100% on that one, so feel free to correct the record if I'm incorrect on that.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Hell, going into last season, some people were wondering aloud if he'd surpassed Paryako in development.
I don't know about that one Dread ;)

But yeah, I think Edmundson definitely has trade value.

BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 am

Hell, going into last season, some people were wondering aloud if he'd surpassed Paryako in development.
I don't know about that one Dread ;)

But yeah, I think Edmundson definitely has trade value.
It's definitely true though. That season Eddy had more goals in less games, had a very good playoffs including a clutch goal or two if I remember correctly, and was playing physical while playing 21 minutes a night. He was offering things that no other Blue d-man was at the time. People were really down on CP55 after that season. He received Lady Byng votes which only drove home the angst.

So, it sounds as if Barbashev is using the KHL as leverage in contract talks:

"The status of restricted free agent Ivan Barbashev remains uncertain.

“There is no ETA,” Armstrong said about Barbashev. “You have to be back Dec. 1, or you can’t play that year. Or, he could be signed tomorrow. We are close enough where it takes one phone call, but that phone call may or may not come before training camp.”

He does expect Barbashev back this season, though, right?

“I expect him to play hockey this season, whether it’s in North America or somewhere else,” Armstrong answered. “I understand the economics of it. We had (Vladimir) Sobotka, who left for the KHL. We want Barbie here. He knows we want him here. We are not that far apart.”"

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... d5d27.html

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 pm
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm This could all be solved by trading Jake Allen.
Louis Domingue is available, he's always interested me despite catching wrong-handed.
Cap space and draft picks is all I’d want to get out of Jake.
Yup.

In a perfect hockey world the Blues could afford Jake as a backup. But this is a salary cap hockey world and tough decisions have to be made. Allen is currently hindering the team from signing Barbs and/or Maroon. I know I'd rather have those two over Allen.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 pm

If my math is right, four years would take Barbashev right to UFA status and not buy any UFA years. Ideally we give him a shorter term than that
I believe your math is correct on when he reaches UFA. I would absolutely give him $1.75M for three years without batting an eye. I'd probably give him the 4th year, too, if that's what it took to get him at that price. Year 4 of that deal would be a steal unless he regresses, and you can always extend him after Year 3 to avoid losing him for nothing. Hell, if I thought he would go for it I would suggest the Calle Jarnkrok special - 6 years at $2M per year.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am So, it sounds as if Barbashev is using the KHL as leverage in contract talks:

"The status of restricted free agent Ivan Barbashev remains uncertain.

“There is no ETA,” Armstrong said about Barbashev. “You have to be back Dec. 1, or you can’t play that year. Or, he could be signed tomorrow. We are close enough where it takes one phone call, but that phone call may or may not come before training camp.”

He does expect Barbashev back this season, though, right?

“I expect him to play hockey this season, whether it’s in North America or somewhere else,” Armstrong answered. “I understand the economics of it. We had (Vladimir) Sobotka, who left for the KHL. We want Barbie here. He knows we want him here. We are not that far apart.”"

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... d5d27.html
Man, Army talking tough on Barbs. I really would like to see Barbs stay and see if he can still elevate his game even more. If they’re close like Army says, then I don’t see Barbs bailing on his buddies for the chance to defend their Cup.