Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 pm I also think the $4.35M in cap space that most places are showing us with is including Schmaltz and Pouliot, who’d both be in the minors in all likelihood. Playing around some with CapFriendly I believe we have $5.75ish in cap space actually. That could change a bit though if, say, Kyrou makes the team over MacEachern or something.
This is a good point. Whoever gets sent down (Mac/Blais/Schmaltz etc.) won't count against the cap. They'll still make their NHL salary, but won't count against the cap. There's a little more breathing room than it appears, but it does sound like Edmundson could be on the way out. Probably depends on what number he's after.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

39hurricane wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm I think with his play and the ability to see the other salary numbers Jed and his agent should be asking for a one year deal. Or expect a trade.

Sending down Blais or Mac only opens up less than a Mil each.

One year prove it deal, 2.8, which leaves 1.5 for Barbs
I think the $4.3 cap figure counts Pouliot and Schmaltz, who surely won't be with the Blues on opening night unless there are multiple injuries. If you take their salary off the books the cap figure grows to 5.7 (someone else did this math already, but I forget who). Barring a trade, you have 5.7 to go to Edmundson/Barbashev. I think Barbashev gets a deal similar to Sanford, though maybe a bit richer since he's got a longer track record, let's say an AAV of $1.75. That leaves a little over $4M for Edmundson. That's more than enough to get him signed, but it's been mentioned that Army wants a buffer of around $1.5-2.0. I don't think it's very likely that Edmundson signs for less than 3.25, which still wouldn't fit with Army's desired buffer.

Unless they carry fewer than 23 healthy players (that's the limit, right?), something's gotta give. Either Army doesn't get his buffer, or somebody goes.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:38 pm
39hurricane wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm I think with his play and the ability to see the other salary numbers Jed and his agent should be asking for a one year deal. Or expect a trade.

Sending down Blais or Mac only opens up less than a Mil each.

One year prove it deal, 2.8, which leaves 1.5 for Barbs
I think the $4.3 cap figure counts Pouliot and Schmaltz, who surely won't be with the Blues on opening night unless there are multiple injuries. If you take their salary off the books the cap figure grows to 5.7 (someone else did this math already, but I forget who). Barring a trade, you have 5.7 to go to Edmundson/Barbashev. I think Barbashev gets a deal similar to Sanford, though maybe a bit richer since he's got a longer track record, let's say an AAV of $1.75. That leaves a little over $4M for Edmundson. That's more than enough to get him signed, but it's been mentioned that Army wants a buffer of around $1.5-2.0. I don't think it's very likely that Edmundson signs for less than 3.25, which still wouldn't fit with Army's desired buffer.

Unless they carry fewer than 23 healthy players (that's the limit, right?), something's gotta give. Either Army doesn't get his buffer, or somebody goes.
I'm pretty sure that the minimum is 20.... 23 is the max.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 pm YEah now that you mention it I can remeber several times where the Blues only had 22 or 21 guys on the roster. Saves you just a little bit of $, but every buck counts right.
They do it a lot. It all depends on the waiver status of some of these guys. Also, whether they are at home or on the road on extended road trips.

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm That leaves $4.37M for the 3 remaining RFA's: JEd; Barby; Husso. $3.100M for JEd, $1.25 for Barby, and correct me if I'm wrong, Husso's deal wouldn't count against the Cap as he's a minor leaguer?

I believe that is what this says?
AHL Contracts
An AHL contract is a deal between the player and an AHL team. Players on NHL contracts who play in the AHL are not on AHL contracts.

There are many similarities between AHL and NHL contracts but much less publicly available information. Most dollar amounts on AHL deals are never made public, but it is broadly known that the pay rates, particularly for top-quality AHL players, have been rising as teams with enough money to spend push the salaries up.

The AHL has a players’ association and a CBA. That agreement runs out this summer, so it needs to be renewed. For the 2018-2019 season, the minimum salary in the AHL is $47,500 US. That amount has increased every year under the current agreement, and in the 2017-2018 season, all salaries were paid in US dollars for the first time. Prior to that year, Canadian teams got to pay in Canadian dollars and had a separate minimum. This kept them from being victims of fluctuating exchange rates, but sometimes the minimum, set when the CBA was created, became wildly out of line with reality.

Unlike in the NHL, where salaries are paid over the regular season only, all players on the AHL roster share in a pool of funds for playoff appearances based on games played.

AHL players can be traded or loaned to other AHL teams and can be loaned to other minor leagues, usually the ECHL. The AHL does have one- and two-way contracts, which contain two salary rates exactly like they do in the NHL.

Because the AHL is the league in the middle, they receive players on loan coming up from the ECHL. Those players are paid a minimum salary of $48,000 Canadian this season. For some reason, there is still two minimums depending on country for this circumstance. At current exchange rates, the Canadian dollar minimum is $2,000 lower than the US dollar amount converted to Canadian funds.

There is no salary cap in the AHL, no maximum salaries, no roster size limits until the playoff roster is set, and no control on salary inflation beyond the willingness of teams to spend money. With most NHL teams owning their AHL affiliate outright or in partnership with another owner, the expenditures of the teams are no longer dependant on revenues like ticket sales. If the NHL team thinks it’s a good idea, they can subsidize their AHL team as much as they want.

With the upward pressure on AHL salaries, either from AHL contracts or in NHL deals for full-time AHL players, the cap on the AHL salary portion of an ELCs makes the top prospects, who are often some of the best players in the league, some of the worst paid players on their AHL teams. Only the ECHLers on a loan routinely get much less.
source: https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/and- ... rs-two-way
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Honestly, I’d like to see Reinke ($750k) make the roster, Pouliot and Schmaltz go down, Edmundson traded for a D prospect that’s one year away. That would give roughly $5M for Barbashev. If he gets $1.5M, that leaves roughly $3.5M of daily cap space to save for trade deadline day and space for call ups when non-LTIR injuries occur.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:14 pm Honestly, I’d like to see Reinke ($750k) make the roster, Pouliot and Schmaltz go down, Edmundson traded for a D prospect that’s one year away. That would give roughly $5M for Barbashev. If he gets $1.5M, that leaves roughly $3.5M of daily cap space to save for trade deadline day and space for call ups when non-LTIR injuries occur.
I think that’s an ideal plan.

39hurricane wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:43 pm Of minor note, Schmaltz is RD and Borgnan is LD. Little more depth on the LD side where Bouw and Boom Boom's injury history might make you want somemore depth on that side.

Hoping Mikkola has a real good camp.
On the flip side, our depth on the right is thin. I wonder if they think Reinke is ready to step up?

blueslifer wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm
39hurricane wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:43 pm Of minor note, Schmaltz is RD and Borgnan is LD. Little more depth on the LD side where Bouw and Boom Boom's injury history might make you want somemore depth on that side.

Hoping Mikkola has a real good camp.
On the flip side, our depth on the right is thin. I wonder if they think Reinke is ready to step up?
I've got high hopes for both Reinke and Mikkola.