Re: Blues trade for Del Zotto

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 pm

I mean that's fair. I think if they traded a 2nd, 3rd, and Fabbri for a couple months of Simmonds people might be upset at DA still. But for different reasons.

Well, like the saying goes, if you're afraid to be great, then you won't be. I mean, how often does a team get hot with an in-season coaching change and a new found rookie goalie? I mean, you got to ride that wave.
Just to play devil's advocate, (which you know I like to do with you Bill ;) ), the Caps big move at the deadline last year was adding a Kempny for a 3rd rounder. Nothing sexy there. The previous year the Pens big deadline move was adding Mark Streit for a 4th. The year before that the Pens big deadline move was adding Schultz for a 3rd.

In a copycat league, the lesson is that Cup winners add mediocre defensemen for mid to late draft picks at the deadline. Atta boy Army!
Hope we get to re-post this in June :)

usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Agree with that.
Nashville, Winnipeg, Vegas, then Tampa Bay is going to be one hell of a Stanley Cup Gauntlet for the Blues to run. LOL
Crazy when you think about the first round matchups we are coming up on

Vegas vs SJ/Cal
Blues vs Nash
Bos vs Tor

And even possibly TB vs Pitt

Oh how I love playoff hockey and it's exciting to be a part of it.
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:17 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Agree with that.
Nashville, Winnipeg, Vegas, then Tampa Bay is going to be one hell of a Stanley Cup Gauntlet for the Blues to run. LOL
Crazy when you think about the first round matchups we are coming up on

Vegas vs SJ/Cal
Blues vs Nash
Bos vs Tor

And even possibly TB vs Pitt

Oh how I love playoff hockey and it's exciting to be apart of it.
On a personal level and as a fan of the Blues, 2018 was a year that sucked big time. I didn't like the playoffs last season, except for VGKs run. Hoping 2019 continues to surprise us in a positive way.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:17 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:15 pm Makes you think something else might be coming
Maybe the Gunnar injury is more serious than expected and Del Zotto adds better depth instead of a Butler.
This is it, right here. The Blues did't want to see Butler on the 3rd shift in crucial stretch games, and in the playoffs, IF another LD gets hurt.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:43 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm not cutting him any slack, but in reference to Simmonds I think the Blues were better off staying out of that bidding. I don't think Simmonds is nearly worth a 2nd, and I think the team is much better off with Barbashev and a 3rd than with Simmonds. Simmonds would help the PP, but I don't think he helps you 5 on 5 at this point, and certainly not moreso than any of the Centers on the roster right now. You and I probably have different opinions of Simmonds, which is fine.

In reference to the bigger picture, when I look at the trades that went down today, I don't see any that jump out and say "damn, we should've beat/matched that offer". To me Army standing pat is a vote of confidence within the room after selling off the last 2 years. I think a guy like Maroon plays his ass off the rest of the year after being rumored to be on the block for the last 3 months. In the offseason, I'll be disappointed if Allen isn't moved. I'll be disappointed if they don't shake up the blueline in some manner. Aside from that, I just don't see a lot to get upset about today.
It's not just the addition of the 2 players themselves but the mental advantage the rest of the team got knowing what they've just gained.

Before today, Blues looked like they could beat Nashville in the 1st round.

After today, do you think the Blues can still beat Nashville in the 1st round? And if your answer is no, are you okay with that?
To be honest, I don't think my opinion of Nashville has changed all that much. They're better down the middle today, but I'm not sure they aren't still a one line team 5 on 5. They're still probably the favorite in a 7 game series, but not a prohibitive one. Over the last few weeks they've gotten older and slower in a day and age that teams are winning with speed and skill (I'm including the Boyle/McLeod deals). The Granlund move helps, but I still like the Blues group of forwards better than the Preds. I like the Preds D better, of course, and who knows in net. Binnington's never played in the playoffs while Rinne has looked like Patrick Roy and like Roman Turek in the playoffs depending on the year. I'm excited about the potential series.
Listening to a Puck Pursuit podcast which is talking about today’s activity. The guy hosting the show John Matisza likes what the Preds did today but the guy he’s interviewing, Gus Katsaros, a fellow Greek by the way -ha, he shares your opinion and doesn’t think Granlund and Simmonds really addresses their scoring issues. Calls Granlund more of a playmaker, says Simmonds might help PP , but that’s all. Thought I’d pass on your excellent analysis is also being shared by so called experts 🙂

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Going into the deadline, I would of been okay if the Blues had parted with either pick --- 2nd or 3rd. I would of been okay with dealing any combination of the following forwards with a draft pick or even both picks if necessary pending on who the player was : Sanford, Blais, Barbashev, Fabbri.................
I mean that's fair. I think if they traded a 2nd, 3rd, and Fabbri for a couple months of Simmonds people might be upset at DA still. But for different reasons.

Well, like the saying goes, if you're afraid to be great, then you won't be. I mean, how often does a team get hot with an in-season coaching change and a new found rookie goalie? I mean, you got to ride that wave.
I still don't trust this team. Why spend future assets on a team that you aren't sure about? Standing pat at the deadline is saying to the team "ride that wave". Because, fuck, it could all come crashing down again like earlier this year.

This team imho isn't a true contender, but crazier things have happened. I don't think they are far of, and I do think the right move was not risking futures on this team.

Doug Glatt wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:25 am

I still don't trust this team. Why spend future assets on a team that you aren't sure about? Standing pat at the deadline is saying to the team "ride that wave". Because, fuck, it could all come crashing down again like earlier this year.

This team imho isn't a true contender, but crazier things have happened. I don't think they are far of, and I do think the right move was not risking futures on this team.
I think this team is teetering on the edge. They’ve literally only played well half the time since the Final 4. They’ve gone thru 3 coaches since then and each year has had 1 good half and 1 bad half. I think these guys have momentum right now and could reach the Conf Finals. But I also think this team could trend backwards again next yr. What did we save at the deadline? A 2nd and 3rd rd pick and some bottom six guys? How much future is embedded in that? Whatever. Fabbri better get going, that’s all I can say. We need some juice at forward.

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 am

I think this team is teetering on the edge. They’ve literally only played well half the time since the Final 4. They’ve gone thru 3 coaches since then and each year has had 1 good half and 1 bad half. I think these guys have momentum right now and could reach the Conf Finals. But I also think this team could trend backwards again next yr. What did we save at the deadline? A 2nd and 3rd rd pick and some bottom six guys? How much future is embedded in that? Whatever. Fabbri better get going, that’s all I can say. We need some juice at forward.
I don't know that they are teetering on an edge of contender to dumpster team. I think they're just mired in between a true contender and a playoff also-ran. This off-season will be a transitional change again for this team. Will Schenn be signed or will he leave? What's going to happen with the 4 UFAs in Maroon, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, and Del Zotto? Will Fabbri be back or traded? Will Steen be back or traded? (God I hope #20 is gone after this year). What is Edmundson signed for if he's signed as well? What does Armstrong do with Allen? Does Binnington become the true #1 if his success continues?

Armstrong has seemed to make his bread and butter during the off-season the last few years, and I think some of his trade deadline moves, namely the Ryan Miller trade, have made him slightly gun shy. Granted, he's had to use assets that could be used at the trade deadline to fix his messes, Lehtera, Berglund, and Sobotka, however, having Schenn and O'Reilly out of that is truly awesome. I truthfully just hope that the moves Armstrong makes regarding trades this off-season are to get rid of some of the dead money in Allen (so they aren't tempted to slate him as the #1 again) and Steen (more cap-hit than salary). That might cost you someone like Fabbri or a different younger player, but who truly knows what the return would be. I really think that starting next season, you're going to see this team without Allen, Steen, Maroon, and 2 of Gunnarsson, Bouwmeester, and/or Del Zotto. It will be interesting to see if any of the younger guys, Fabbri, Kostin, Kyrou, etc. are dealt or if they make their way into the lineup. I could see a base of the following going into next training camp.

Forwards: Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schenn, Schwartz, Bozak, Perron, Thomas, Kyrou, Sundqvist, Barbashev, MacEachern, Sanford, Kostin, Stevens, Foley (hopefully, poor kid), and a few top-9 TBDs from trades/signings

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmundson, Dunn, Bortuzzo, Walman, Mikkola, Schmaltz, and one of Gunnar, Bouw, or Del Zotto

Goalie: Binnington, Husso, Fitz, and TBD

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:36 am

Those young, bottom six guys provide depth. Hopefully one of them keeps developing. I like Simmonds. (I wanted him last year.) However I'd rather keep Barbie and a third at this point in Simmond's career and where this Blues team is.

I'm all in on the youth movement. Blues need to not only keep their cheap, youth, but add to it. Let's see how this team does in the playoffs, and then reevaluate in the off-season.

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm

It's not just the addition of the 2 players themselves but the mental advantage the rest of the team got knowing what they've just gained.

Before today, Blues looked like they could beat Nashville in the 1st round.

After today, do you think the Blues can still beat Nashville in the 1st round? And if your answer is no, are you okay with that?
To be honest, I don't think my opinion of Nashville has changed all that much. They're better down the middle today, but I'm not sure they aren't still a one line team 5 on 5. They're still probably the favorite in a 7 game series, but not a prohibitive one. Over the last few weeks they've gotten older and slower in a day and age that teams are winning with speed and skill (I'm including the Boyle/McLeod deals). The Granlund move helps, but I still like the Blues group of forwards better than the Preds. I like the Preds D better, of course, and who knows in net. Binnington's never played in the playoffs while Rinne has looked like Patrick Roy and like Roman Turek in the playoffs depending on the year. I'm excited about the potential series.
Listening to a Puck Pursuit podcast which is talking about today’s activity. The guy hosting the show John Matisza likes what the Preds did today but the guy he’s interviewing, Gus Katsaros, a fellow Greek by the way -ha, he shares your opinion and doesn’t think Granlund and Simmonds really addresses their scoring issues. Calls Granlund more of a playmaker, says Simmonds might help PP , but that’s all. Thought I’d pass on your excellent analysis is also being shared by so called experts 🙂
Uh oh, I'm not familiar with him, but I don't like Gus's future in hockey analysis. :lol:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Can somebody enlighten me on the guys on IR, there's nothing about extent or severity of Schenn. I never saw where he got hurt during a game. DP57 is the 1 that concerns me the most, how many concussions is this? Is it even a concussion? UBI tells us nothing, NHL should have a full disclosure rule on Injuries if they go on IR. END OF RANT

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:11 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Uh oh, I'm not familiar with him, but I don't like Gus's future in hockey analysis. :lol:
Good one!

I think Nashville is a little better right now...but not by a lot. Granlund is a good player but losing Fiala and Hartman makes them a slower team. I listened to the Fenton interview yesterday....he wasn't having any of the "he made a bad trade" that the reporters were throwing at him.
"What you perceive as the core and what I perceive as the core are different"
"I know what Kevin Fiala is....I drafted him"
When asked about why he didn't also request a draft pick in the deal, he said "no need...both parties believed this was a fair trade"
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 am I think Nashville is a little better right now...but not by a lot. Granlund is a good player but losing Fiala and Hartman makes them a slower team. I listened to the Fenton interview yesterday....he wasn't having any of the "he made a bad trade" that the reporters were throwing at him.
When asked about why he didn't also request a draft pick in the deal, he said "no need...both parties believed this was a fair trade"
Fenton has gotten rid of Neiderreitter, Coyle and Granlund and all he's gotten out of that in terms of draft picks is a 5th rounder. That's extremely poor IMO. I mean the Rask deal is a joke. I would loathe that guy here :lol:

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 am I think Nashville is a little better right now...but not by a lot. Granlund is a good player but losing Fiala and Hartman makes them a slower team. I listened to the Fenton interview yesterday....he wasn't having any of the "he made a bad trade" that the reporters were throwing at him.
Fenton has gotten rid of Neiderreitter, Coyle and Granlund and all he's gotten out of that in terms of draft picks is a 5th rounder. That's extremely poor IMO. I mean the Rask deal is a joke. I would loathe that guy here :lol:
The rumor floating around is that he offered Zucker for Frolik yesterday as well but Frolik wouldn't waive his NMC. Zucker on the Flames would have been a huge get for them.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:46 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm
The rumor floating around is that he offered Zucker for Frolik yesterday as well but Frolik wouldn't waive his NMC. Zucker on the Flames would have been a huge get for them.
Holy Cow. It's like George Costanza has taken over the Wild :lol: