Ryan O’Reilly appreciation thread

The guy deserves his own thread.

Was scrolling through game logs this morning—the longest ROR has gone without scoring a point this season is 3 games. Talk about consistency. Even more impressive when you consider how often his linemates were changing early on.

He’s also +23 on a team that was terrible much of the season.

How did Army get this guy for a first and some spare parts?

Re: Ryan O’Reilly appreciation thread

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:18 am The guy deserves his own thread.

Was scrolling through game logs this morning—the longest ROR has gone without scoring a point this season is 3 games. Talk about consistency. Even more impressive when you consider how often his linemates were changing early on.

He’s also +23 on a team that was terrible much of the season.

How did Army get this guy for a first and some spare parts?
Maybe more amazing is why no other teams stepped up in the bidding. On paper, Blues gave a lot. The fact that Bergs & Sobie weren’t really worth anything is another :lol:

He really should be a finalist for the Hart. If they look at what a player truly means to his team, it's a no brainer. Of course....I don't expect him to get a nod over Gaudreau, Kuch, McDavid or Kane
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

While I loved the fit on the ice, I was a little concerned about ROR off the ice given his "lost the love of the game" comments and the Tim Horton's incident from a few years back. Those concerns were quite obviously misplaced as it would seem his impact off the ice has been extraordinary as well. His work ethic can only help the youngsters in the organization, and hell, the veterans too. The trade may end up going down as Armstrong's best depending on how the draft pick fares and if Thompson ever develops. Right now its an absolute robbery.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am While I loved the fit on the ice, I was a little concerned about ROR off the ice given his "lost the love of the game" comments and the Tim Horton's incident from a few years back. Those concerns were quite obviously misplaced as it would seem his impact off the ice has been extraordinary as well. His work ethic can only help the youngsters in the organization, and hell, the veterans too. The trade may end up going down as Armstrong's best depending on how the draft pick fares and if Thompson ever develops. Right now its an absolute robbery.
You mean better than the Miller acquisition, no way, that was epic
Lol. He was the only goalkeeper in the past decade that makes Allen look good.

Strange how trades pan out over time (remember all the love Chris Stewart got in his first season in St. Louis?) but in the short term, this one looks great. He's been the Blues' best player, hands down, this season, and I hope he's the same player for St. Louis for years to come.

One interesting byproduct of adding O'Reilly that has materialized during this recent run is that his presence has allowed Berube to move Schenn to wing, where he seems to be thriving. Great players have that effect where things fall into place around them, and you get the best out of other players on the team.

Also, I don't recall another time when a Blues player's face-off skills have been this impactful on team success.

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:36 am Strange how trades pan out over time (remember all the love Chris Stewart got in his first season in St. Louis?) but in the short term, this one looks great. He's been the Blues' best player, hands down, this season, and I hope he's the same player for St. Louis for years to come.
The year before Colorado traded Stewart to us, he put up 28 goals and 64 points in 77 games. The season of the trade, between Colorado and Saint Louis combined he put up 28 goals and 53 points in 62 games. Those were his second and third seasons in the NHL, After an 'off-season' the following year (15 goals, 30 points in 79 games), he put up 18 goals and 36 points in 48 games in the lockout-shortened season. We really thought we had a young, bona-fide 30 goal, 60+ point power forward in Stewart.

Unfortunately, those were, by far, his best seasons of hockey, and he never got close to those numbers again. I think the coaching staff, and Armstrong, saw even in those "good" years how sporadic his scoring streaks were, how erratic his effort was (in practice and off-ice, too), how he'd use his natural physical abilities to capitalize on weaker teams (And the Blues were one of the best teams in the NHL back then), but he could easily become a non-factor in important games, or against tougher teams, and how his play away from the puck was practically non-existent. His good numbers were more a factor of the team's success, not the other way around.

I think it's just the opposite for ROR. He's been FREAKISHLY consistent, has been an impact player even when he's not scoring, has seemed to be positive, but also even-keeled (No highs and lows, or 'stunts' to pump up emotions), and, by all reports, is VERY hard working and focused, in games, practices, on-ice and off-ice, and is dedicated to improving his game (even now) in all situations, and being as 'complete' a player as possible. The team is better because of ROR, not vice-versa.

barnburner wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm I'll never forget... When Stewart came here in the trade, one of the better Avs players (?) Said that he believed Stewart would be a Captain for a nhl team someday. Lol...
Pretty sure that was his buddy Stastny. Those two were tight. I remember the old man Peter Stastny went off on the Avs when they traded his boy's wingman.

ratonmono wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 pm
barnburner wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm I'll never forget... When Stewart came here in the trade, one of the better Avs players (?) Said that he believed Stewart would be a Captain for a nhl team someday. Lol...
Pretty sure that was his buddy Stastny. Those two were tight. I remember the old man Peter Stastny went off on the Avs when they traded his boy's wingman.
No, it wasn't Stastny, not that it makes any difference I guess. Whoever it was, was a well respected player, so that comment really caught my attention. Of course, at the time, after having watched Stewie kill us, time after time, I was estatic too have him wearing the note. I expected a 30 goal scorer who would pound the opposition. :D :lol: :D

O'Reilly banked $7.5 mil from Stillman on July 1st and has went out and earned every freaking penny since then. Even when this team was complete shit, ROR was playing his ass of every game, battling and producing. It's really been something to witness night in and night out. There ain't a guy in this league that's going to out work him.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm O'Reilly banked $7.5 mil from Stillman on July 1st and has went out and earned every freaking penny since then. Even when this team was complete shit, ROR was playing his ass of every game, battling and producing. It's really been something to witness night in and night out. There ain't a guy in this league that's going to out work him.
His attitude, work ethic, are impressive. If he amps it up in the playoffs, that’ll be something to watch.