Re: The definition of insanity

I don't completely disagree with him in the sense Tank hasn't been the top of the league sniper we've come to expect (you're welcome for the news flash) and I think a Tank trade is just as likely as it was before.... not very.
I'm in the camp I'd trade anyone for the right price. Even Thomas or O'Reilly or the league leader in everything positive and happy, Sunqvist. But really, I've been impressed with Tanks try and give a shit level. It just appears he's more emotionally invested than he was earlier in the year. He showed it again recently against Nashville this weekend. It probably has something to do with winning and winning cures all and winning disguises flaws but he just seems more emotionally invested at this point. And healthy.
And the guy who tweeted this just wants to start and argument for the replies.

I'm firmly in the camp now of Tarasenko's issues were injury related, and most of his improvements have come from healing up and becoming a smarter hockey player overall.

When he had his good years, he scored a ton thanks to his natural talent and he always tried and appeared to give a shit. He wasn't a great defender, but his errors usually weren't of not trying (a la controller disconnect Ovechkin), rather they were usually from misreading a play or not being positioned correctly. I rarely back then went away from games consistently thinking "wow, Tarasenko really doesn't care."

Last year that changed. He looked slower and and his effort level seemed down. After a hot start he didn't score as much. We all thought his effort was shit. Then he had surgery after the season, and started this year slow too. Now he looks like he did during his best years in the offensive zone and seems to be a much improved defender. I think most of his downturn was due to injury (and getting confidence and everything back after his injury) and that his improved defending is since he just has become a smarter hockey player and is better at reading plays now, which I think we would expect. He played no North American hockey at all before coming to the NHL, after all.

Just my take. And assuming he is the player that we've seen recently and was during his 39 and 40 goal seasons (which I think he is), we'd be crazy to trade him because realistically I don't think we'd be able to get equal value for what he brings in return.

Multiple sources DID say back in early January that for Tarasenko, and everyone on the team, offers were being listened too. I think that is where the confusion came from: listening to offers does not equal 'available' in my opinion because every single GM is going to listen to any offer for any player.

But to me, making a player 'available' means that DA was contacting other GM's to field offers for Tarasenko, Petro, and the other leadership. That is not what was reported by JR or anyone. I think JR, others in the media, and many of us were caught up in the state of the team at that time and just ready to blow it up. What a difference a few weeks, and a 6 game winning streak, can make for all of our POVs ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I think it was more than injuries with Tank....I think Berube ripped the leaders on this team some new assholes and told them to put their differences aside and whatever issues remain will be dealt with in the offseason.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am I think it was more than injuries with Tank....I think Berube ripped the leaders on this team some new assholes and told them to put their differences aside and whatever issues remain will be dealt with in the offseason.
Hopefully this means Steen is gone and some new blood is added to the leadership like Schenn and O'Reilly. Not that letters mean all that much, but I think guys like O'Reilly, Schenn, and Parayko deserve As.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 am I'm firmly in the camp now of Tarasenko's issues were injury related, and most of his improvements have come from healing up and becoming a smarter hockey player overall.

When he had his good years, he scored a ton thanks to his natural talent and he always tried and appeared to give a shit. He wasn't a great defender, but his errors usually weren't of not trying (a la controller disconnect Ovechkin), rather they were usually from misreading a play or not being positioned correctly. I rarely back then went away from games consistently thinking "wow, Tarasenko really doesn't care."

Last year that changed. He looked slower and and his effort level seemed down. After a hot start he didn't score as much. We all thought his effort was shit. Then he had surgery after the season, and started this year slow too. Now he looks like he did during his best years in the offensive zone and seems to be a much improved defender. I think most of his downturn was due to injury (and getting confidence and everything back after his injury) and that his improved defending is since he just has become a smarter hockey player and is better at reading plays now, which I think we would expect. He played no North American hockey at all before coming to the NHL, after all.

Just my take. And assuming he is the player that we've seen recently and was during his 39 and 40 goal seasons (which I think he is), we'd be crazy to trade him because realistically I don't think we'd be able to get equal value for what he brings in return.
It’s funny that you bring up Ovechkin. I’m sure that you’re right about Tarasenko’s injury recovery and the development of his defensive IQ contributing to his improved play, but I was wondering if there wasn’t another factor at play. Is it possible that Tarasenko’s commitment to defense this year has anything to do with watching Ovie’s success last year?

Nobody’s ever going to confuse either player with Guy Carbonneau, but I can’t help but wonder if VT witnessed Ovechkin (who has to be somewhat of an inspiration/influence) giving the extra effort in the playoffs, and Tarasenko better realized what is required to win in the NHL.