Binnington RFA vs UFA

Binnington needs to play 27 games before the end of the year in order for the Blues to keep him an RFA. That means he needs to play 14 more games, which shouldn’t be an issue at all.

If he doesn’t get these games in, he’ll be a UFA at seasons end.

Re: Binnington RFA vs UFA

amazing how seeing a perfectly good, above-average goaltender makes blues fans weak. he's fine, he's not a savior to our goalie problems. goalies are weird - remember how many started out looking so great that became goats within a year or two. goalies are a long game, and i'm not sure we have an ante to even enter that game.

T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am amazing how seeing a perfectly good, above-average goaltender makes blues fans weak. he's fine, he's not a savior to our goalie problems. goalies are weird - remember how many started out looking so great that became goats within a year or two. goalies are a long game, and i'm not sure we have an ante to even enter that game.
I'm not sure how you can know that?

He was a 3rd round draft pick
He's 25
His AHL/NHL stats last season and this are around 2.00 .930

How can you be so sure he's not going to be a long term #1 for the Blues?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am amazing how seeing a perfectly good, above-average goaltender makes blues fans weak. he's fine, he's not a savior to our goalie problems. goalies are weird - remember how many started out looking so great that became goats within a year or two. goalies are a long game, and i'm not sure we have an ante to even enter that game.

He's 25

that's what i'm saying - we have no idea. maybe he is, maybe he isn't. but a decision can't be based on the sample size we've seen. he's certainly better than jake and i think we should keep him, but have to be prepared for failure. and yeah, rinne was 8th round pick. it happens.

He's 25

He clearly figured something out last year. TC is right that goalies are voodoo, so who knows if he'll keep it up long term. What is clear is that finding a goalie this summer that can come in and play 60 games next year is not an absolute must this summer. If Binnington falters down the stretch, maybe you re-examine that, but right now he's certainly taken the heat off that pursuit. I'm sure Armstrong will extend Binnington, but hopefully he decides to sign him for less than say...4 year $17.4 million. I feel like those deals don't always work out.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

While it's true Goalies can be an uncertain breed, I think this kid is the real deal. Number one, is his mental approach. In that aspect, he reminds me of Grant Fuhr. Forget what happened ten seconds ago - get ready for the next one. After what he's gone through being bounced from one place to another, he's not one to fall apart easily. Plus he's just really, really sound in his game. jmo.

T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am

He's 25

that's what i'm saying - we have no idea. maybe he is, maybe he isn't. but a decision can't be based on the sample size we've seen. he's certainly better than jake and i think we should keep him, but have to be prepared for failure. and yeah, rinne was 8th round pick. it happens.
The point of listing what round he was picked in, is that he was always seen as a quality prospect with potential to be an NHLer going back to being drafted. Not someone like say Curtis Sanford who was undrafted and came out of absolutely no where.

barnburner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am While it's true Goalies can be an uncertain breed, I think this kid is the real deal. Number one, is his mental approach. In that aspect, he reminds me of Grant Fuhr. Forget what happened ten seconds ago - get ready for the next one. After what he's gone through being bounced from one place to another, he's not one to fall apart easily. Plus he's just really, really sound in his game. jmo.
I agree with a lot of this. He seems so unfazed by everything. Just evil keel which is exactly what you want out of a goalie.

wannabebluesplayer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm Interesting stat/chart. The second one specifically. Also, poor John Gibson.

I wonder where Allen is on that.
He’s just behind one of the Florida Panther logos. Not in a positive spot.

Crazy how good the Blues underlying stats have been over the last while. Probably the best team in the NHL in many of the possession and expected goal differential caterhories.

Beatoni12 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm
wannabebluesplayer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm Interesting stat/chart. The second one specifically. Also, poor John Gibson.

I wonder where Allen is on that.
He’s just behind one of the Florida Panther logos. Not in a positive spot.

Crazy how good the Blues underlying stats have been over the last while. Probably the best team in the NHL in many of the possession and expected goal differential caterhories.
Are we sure that isn't when Chad Johnson was here?

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm What has happened to Dubnyk? Injury? Aging? Law of averages catching up?

And I agree, poor John Gibson!
Dubnyk has played 73, 70, and 65 games the last three seasons (including playoffs) and 46 already this year. I just think he's been overworked personally. Not many guys can play that sort of load and stay consistent.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am The point of listing what round he was picked in, is that he was always seen as a quality prospect with potential to be an NHLer going back to being drafted. Not someone like say Curtis Sanford who was undrafted and came out of absolutely no where.
and for every one of those, you have guys that were picked in the first round because everyone thought they were going to be gods but they tanked (schwarz, ouellet, bacashihua, etc.)

T.C. wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:43 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am The point of listing what round he was picked in, is that he was always seen as a quality prospect with potential to be an NHLer going back to being drafted. Not someone like say Curtis Sanford who was undrafted and came out of absolutely no where.
and for every one of those, you have guys that were picked in the first round because everyone thought they were going to be gods but they tanked (schwarz, ouellet, bacashihua, etc.)
I don't think we are on the same page here. I'm not saying BECAUSE he was drafted in the 3rd round it guarantees he's going to be great. I'm just saying it's not like the dude came out of absolutely no where and we can say he isn't going to be the Blues future in goal.